Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher

Good article on Matsuzaka: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/12/despite_the_dollars_red_sox_pursuit_of_matsuzaka_makes_sense/

Best part of the article:

"Nonetheless, the Sox have been preparing for the marketing bonanza, which would be Matsuzaka, for weeks. The Sox would likely attract a huge contingent of Japanese media, seeing that they already blanket Hideki Matsui in New York and Ichiro Suzuki in Seattle.

The Sox would probably be able to sell Matsuzaka's Red Sox image in Japan in a big-time way to help make up for the exorbitant posting fee."

So there you go, the Sox think that Matsuzaka will basically pay for his own posting fee and then some. Plus get a foothold in the Japanese players market.

Still, they overpaid. $42 million for nothing guaranteed.

And BTW, to put things into my own perspective with their rotation:

Schilling - Tail end of his career, now injury prone. Can he make it up to 200 innings as the "ace" of the rotation?

Beckett - Dude couldn't locate his curveball to save his life, and the Yankee hitters just sat on his fastball and tore him apart. Doesn't scare me.

Matsuzaka - Wanted him in pinstripes, but theres a lot of questions with him. Even if the Yankees did get him, I'd still be crossing my fingers about some of this stuff. He's never pitched in the AL, was used to a six day rest period, and you have to notice he went from 200+ innings last year to 180 this year. Wear and tear?

STILL. I wanted him, and I still think he's going to be good.

Papelbon - Lets see him work on his other pitches. Can't throw a fastball six innings straight.

Wakefield - How much longer does he have?

I'm playing the role of the typical Yankee fans here. I'm not discounting these pitchers, I'm just bringing up some negatives.

Ray Finkle said:
Good article on Matsuzaka: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/12/despite_the_dollars_red_sox_pursuit_of_matsuzaka_makes_sense/

Best part of the article:

"Nonetheless, the Sox have been preparing for the marketing bonanza, which would be Matsuzaka, for weeks. The Sox would likely attract a huge contingent of Japanese media, seeing that they already blanket Hideki Matsui in New York and Ichiro Suzuki in Seattle.

The Sox would probably be able to sell Matsuzaka's Red Sox image in Japan in a big-time way to help make up for the exorbitant posting fee."

So there you go, the Sox think that Matsuzaka will basically pay for his own posting fee and then some. Plus get a foothold in the Japanese players market.

I love this :sidelol: :sidelol: , Sox fans justifying ways for spending $100 mill on 1 pitcher.

So, if Matsui brings in $50 mill or so from Japan through merchandise and TV deals. Why does everyone cry about the Yanks $200 mill pay roll. It's really only $150 because they have all of this extra money coming in from Japan. The payroll is partly paying for itself. What's the big deal then?? :confused: :lol: :lol:

Final Bidding was.....

1) Red Sox $42 mill
2) Mets $38 mill
3) Yanks $32 mill

MikeO said:
I love this :sidelol: :sidelol: , Sox fans justifying ways for spending $100 mill on 1 pitcher.

So, if Matsui brings in $50 mill or so from Japan through merchandise and TV deals. Why does everyone cry about the Yanks $200 mill pay roll. It's really only $150 because they have all of this extra money coming in from Japan. The payroll is partly paying for itself. What's the big deal then?? :confused: :lol: :lol:

Again what Red Sox fan is crying about the Yankees' payroll?

It has nothing to do with justifying spending 100 million on one pitcher it's the truth. The Sox will make back the money they spend on the bid for Matsuzaka just on marketing and sponsorish deals only.

The Yankees get I believe 20 million for having that Japanese sign in the OF alone. Add in having the YES network in Japan along with all the Matsui and other Yankee t-shirt, hats etc the Yankees are probably making 100 million a year off of Matsui.

EDIT: A friend told me that there was a Japanese baseball expert on WFAN today and said that the Red Sox will make the money they bid on Matsuzaka back before the season even started. And in Japan right now everyone is trying to buy Red Sox stuff because Matsuzaka is a hero in Japan and is as popular as Ichiro and Matsui.

i LOVE baseball but i feel that no player is worth that type of money...and if there was to be a salary cap it would be the end of the yankees and the redsox...and for

Ray Finkle said:
Again what Red Sox fan is crying about the Yankees' payroll?

It has nothing to do with justifying spending 100 million on one pitcher it's the truth. The Sox will make back the money they spend on the bid for Matsuzaka just on marketing and sponsorish deals only.

The Yankees get I believe 20 million for having that Japanese sign in the OF alone. Add in having the YES network in Japan along with all the Matsui and other Yankee t-shirt, hats etc the Yankees are probably making 100 million a year off of Matsui.

EDIT: A friend told me that there was a Japanese baseball expert on WFAN today and said that the Red Sox will make the money they bid on Matsuzaka back before the season even started. And in Japan right now everyone is trying to buy Red Sox stuff because Matsuzaka is a hero in Japan and is as popular as Ichiro and Matsui.

Destrade from ESPN who played a few years in Japan was the expert on WFAN today lol so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure he knows about Japan more then you or I but I'm not sure he knows about the economics so take it for what it's worth although the Red Sox are going to make out nice on this deal. Not as nice as the Mariners or Yankees do because the kid's a pitcher but they'll make some money off the deal!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Destrade from ESPN who played a few years in Japan was the expert on WFAN today lol so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure he knows about Japan more then you or I but I'm not sure he knows about the economics so take it for what it's worth although the Red Sox are going to make out nice on this deal. Not as nice as the Mariners or Yankees do because the kid's a pitcher but they'll make some money off the deal!

Honestly I didn't hear the interview myself and I wrote 2nd hand information, so that may or may not be true.

MikeO said:
Final Bidding was.....

1) Red Sox $51.1 mill
2) Mets $38 mill
3) Yanks $32 mill

I think that's what you meant to say. That's a lot of dough.

Ray Finkle said:
Wow over 50 million. This kid better be a stud.

Man, all I can say is the Red Sox's can never complain again about over spending teams.

51.1 million?????????:eek:

They need starting pitching and I am glad they went all out for him he has proved he can pitch in the Olympics the WBC and was dominant in his own league.

He also throws some pitch called the Jiro Pitch and I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Brown42000 said:
He also throws some pitch called the Jiro Pitch and I can't wait to see what it looks like.

go on youtube you can see it, it is a slider in japan it is called the gyro ball

Back
Top Bottom