review of roster from this and last | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

review of roster from this and last

Jimmy James said:
This is all fine and good, but remember that Redskins fans thought they had a Super Bowl team a couple of those first years when Snyder bought the team and made big roster renovations. Pro football is an unpredictable game. We won't know if we're a contender, an also ran, or somewhere in between until the players take the field.

Same can be said about the Pats. They lost 2 very good coordinators and some of their core players. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats be the biggest disappointment this season and struggle, especially now, since everyone has annointed them the next great dynasty.
In fact, I think aside from QB, Miami has as good or better talent than NE. where is NE clearly better than MIami right now? Most of you will say O-line. NE has never had a dominant line and they lost Andruzzi. They are counting on a rookie to fill that hole. They have a good D-line with Seymour,but not great depth. Wilfork is solid, but he hasn't demonstrated that he will be a dominant player just yet. They are still weak at CB. Gay and Samuel aren't exactly upper echelon DB's

You're right, we still have a couple of holes to fill in the secondary, but overall, I think we have improved the quality of players on the field and the coaching those players will receive has significantly improved... i'm not making any bold predictions, but I see 9 wins minimum next season.. and we could still get Traylor and who knows about the June 1st cuts.. so stay tuned..

fishfan34 said:
You're right, we still have a couple of holes to fill in the secondary, but overall, I think we have improved the quality of players on the field and the coaching those players will receive has significantly improved... i'm not making any bold predictions, but I see 9 wins minimum next season.. and we could still get Traylor and who knows about the June 1st cuts.. so stay tuned..

Maybe with a little luck some player we aren´t high on right now can step up at cb ( Howard, since the press coverage scheme will be gone and it might be to his advantage) and one of the rookies can develop quick during camp we even might be ok in the secondary. 10-6 isn´t too unrealistic if aj can get his stuff 2gether.

when guys do these projections it makes me laugh for many reasons

1-OL =2005 GReat oline coach, mcintosh/smith, james, mckinney/hadnot, carey, mcdougle .... common we dont yet know the impact Houck will make.

2-upgrade (i think spragan and greenwood are about same talent level but when we go 3-4 next will be a automatic upgrade...when will you guys let it go....Saban is going to run a 4-3 always has, always will (also doesnt matter what the plans are for next year it this season that matters)

3-why does everyone keep thinking K.Carter is going to play DT he has said he was told by Saban he will play LE in base "D" and inside on pass rush downs,,,why is it so hard for people to get this stuff?

In terms of miami's roster yes it appears to be an upgrade, but they still play in the best division in the NFL.

jlfin said:
Same can be said about the Pats. They lost 2 very good coordinators and some of their core players. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats be the biggest disappointment this season and struggle, especially now, since everyone has annointed them the next great dynasty.
In fact, I think aside from QB, Miami has as good or better talent than NE. where is NE clearly better than MIami right now? Most of you will say O-line. NE has never had a dominant line and they lost Andruzzi. They are counting on a rookie to fill that hole. They have a good D-line with Seymour,but not great depth. Wilfork is solid, but he hasn't demonstrated that he will be a dominant player just yet. They are still weak at CB. Gay and Samuel aren't exactly upper echelon DB's

yeah if u call 13-3 struggling ok.....

if the pats struggle without the 2 coords i will come in here and said u were right i was wrong, but that isnt going to be a bif prob since they retained mangini and they hired pete mangurian who was atl oc and hes a damn good one.... he wont be the official oc but him, billb and a few other off coaches will call the shots...
if a new off coord came in and changed everything in place then sure things could be a mess....
and weak at cb??? lol we are loaded there.... in fact some may be cut and u guys may pick them up later....

dolphinman23 said:
QB
2004 Fiedler, feeley
2005 feeley, gus

upgrade:)

HB
2004 lamar gordon, minor forsey, morris
2005 ricky(grrr), RB, gordon, morris

upgrade

FB
2004 konrad
2005 evans

upgrade

WR
2004 chambers, booker, thompson
2005 chambers, boston, booker

well technically same roster, but healthy boston = upgrade

OL
2004 mcintosh, james, mckinney, ST clair, carey
2005 GReat oline coach, mcintosh/smith, james, mckinney/hadnot, carey, mcdougle

upgrade

DE
2004 Taylor, bowens
2005 taylor, holliday, roth

upgrade

DT
2004 zgonia, romero
2005 carter, chester (T-bo is done), zgonia

upgrade

OLB
2004 greenwood, seau, moore
2005 spragan, seau, moore, roth, taylor

upgrade (i think spragan and greenwood are about same talent level but when we go 3-4 next will be a automatic upgrade

MLB
2004 thomas, pope
2005 thomas, crowder

upgrade

CB
2004 madison, surtain, howard
2005 madison, howard, edwards, daniels

downgrade surtain will be missed

FS
2004 freeman, and then edwards
2005 tillman, bua

downgrade, we really have a hole here

SS
2004 knight
2005 t. jones

even, knights slow and cant tackle, jones is slow and cant tackle either :(

we have improved vastly on offense and in our front 7 on defense, our secondary has a bunch of question marks, some i hope get answered come june 1st but we will see

DOESNT THIS EXCITE YOU !!!!!!!

Why doesn't the NFL just cancel the season and give you guys the Lombardi? You have upgraded but tnot that dramatically.

painnotpleasure said:
Where's Ronnie Brown?? :eek:

whoa!!!!!!!!!!!! where is RONNIE? i guess it is the RB in the running back column

zodiak said:

1-OL =2005 GReat oline coach, mcintosh/smith, james, mckinney/hadnot, carey, mcdougle .... common we dont yet know the impact Houck will make.

2-upgrade (i think spragan and greenwood are about same talent level but when we go 3-4 next will be a automatic upgrade...when will you guys let it go....Saban is going to run a 4-3 always has, always will (also doesnt matter what the plans are for next year it this season that matters)

3-why does everyone keep thinking K.Carter is going to play DT he has said he was told by Saban he will play LE in base "D" and inside on pass rush downs,,,why is it so hard for people to get this stuff?

In terms of miami's roster yes it appears to be an upgrade, but they still play in the best division in the NFL.

1) our oline is a upgrade form last year, all i was saying
2) i meant when we switch from 4-3 to 3-4 in certain situations and yes carter will be a DT, we have holliday and roth who will be our LEs.
3) i was not making projections i was showing where we have upgraded this year, i did not post a record or anything like that, so calm down and go drink a latte

zodiak said:

I agree - Carter is the DE opposite Taylor, and on passing downs you'll see Roth, and Holiday in there somewhere with Carter inside. But, unfortunately with our DT situation I could see Carter ending up there with it appearing we have more depth at DE than DT. I mean if Bowens goes down or anyone else good chance Carter is there.

I disagree with you on Houck, he will have an impact -- how could he not we were so badly coached last year -- we just might not see the effect til towards the end of the year and into next year.

Jimmy James said:
This is all fine and good, but remember that Redskins fans thought they had a Super Bowl team a couple of those first years when Snyder bought the team and made big roster renovations. Pro football is an unpredictable game. We won't know if we're a contender, an also ran, or somewhere in between until the players take the field.
I doubt anyone will be making Super Bowl claims. In fact even though alot of fans on this board are optomistic, most people will probably pick us last in the East. So unlike other years, going 9-7 would be an accomplishment. It is true though that on paper means nothing and we will have to wait until the season to see just how good this team can be. There are also a ton of variables with this team like: How will Feeley do? Will he even win the job, and if not how will Frerotte do? Does RW come back? How good is Ronnie Brown? Can Houck turn this line into a decent unit? Will Boston have a healthy year? Can someone step up and be a capable replacement for Surtain? How well can this team adapt to the 3-4 when it is used? and more. If a good amount of these variable turn out positive we could contend. If not we could be sub-.500 again.

People should not be so worried about the effect Ricky will have on the football team. The morale of this team will be dictated by the coaches, not one player. Besides, we should hope he gets substantial playing time to keep "RB" healthy for the long-haul. Think about it, if Ricky is productive he will be good trade bait for next year!!!

nyjunc said:
Why doesn't the NFL just cancel the season and give you guys the Lombardi? You have upgraded but tnot that dramatically.

He is being optimistic not saying we will win the SB.

I'm sure the jets message board looks very factual and unbiased. Save your amazing comments for that message board, nobody wants to read it here.

NYinBostonFin said:
He is being optimistic not saying we will win the SB.

I'm sure the jets message board looks very factual and unbiased. Save your amazing comments for that message board, nobody wants to read it here.

I have alot more posts than you and I know what people want to read. yes we have delusional fans as well bu to think you have improved this much from last year is purely delusional. Thanks for your input.

dolphinman23 said:
QB
2004 Fiedler, feeley
2005 feeley, gus

upgrade:)

HB
2004 lamar gordon, minor forsey, morris
2005 ricky(grrr), RB, gordon, morris

upgrade

FB
2004 konrad
2005 evans

upgrade

WR
2004 chambers, booker, thompson
2005 chambers, boston, booker

well technically same roster, but healthy boston = upgrade

OL
2004 mcintosh, james, mckinney, ST clair, carey
2005 GReat oline coach, mcintosh/smith, james, mckinney/hadnot, carey, mcdougle

upgrade

DE
2004 Taylor, bowens
2005 taylor, holliday, roth

upgrade

DT
2004 zgonia, romero
2005 carter, chester (T-bo is done), zgonia

upgrade

OLB
2004 greenwood, seau, moore
2005 spragan, seau, moore, roth, taylor

upgrade (i think spragan and greenwood are about same talent level but when we go 3-4 next will be a automatic upgrade

MLB
2004 thomas, pope
2005 thomas, crowder

upgrade

CB
2004 madison, surtain, howard
2005 madison, howard, edwards, daniels

downgrade surtain will be missed

FS
2004 freeman, and then edwards
2005 tillman, bua

downgrade, we really have a hole here

SS
2004 knight
2005 t. jones

even, knights slow and cant tackle, jones is slow and cant tackle either :(

we have improved vastly on offense and in our front 7 on defense, our secondary has a bunch of question marks, some i hope get answered come june 1st but we will see

DOESNT THIS EXCITE YOU !!!!!!!

I keep looking at the Dolphins roster on NFL.com and everytime there is no mention of Ricky Williams. Perhaps you are looking at another source.

i hope that we do well even w/ all the upgrades it will be nice to see 10 wins again not just 3-4 wins

Back
Top Bottom