rickey trade is so close now, check out link... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

rickey trade is so close now, check out link...

Capt. Dick........

No way should they revert back to their old offer. The Saints like our offer as is and if we recant, that will piss off the Saints and we will be stuck with what?.....Lamar Smith? The Saints have a luxury, they don't have to trade Ricky Williams. This should be done by Thursday and will be announced to the media on Friday (lets hope).

Yeah.........momentary brain drain. I was irritated at Cleve. for jumping back in with their 17th pick +. It seemed to raise the anti. It seems now they never offered their 1st pick. What`s going on?! I`m missing something.

You guys are right........let`s get it done! My grey hairs are getting grey hairs!!!

The ball is really in the Saints court and:

Dolphins | Thursday the Day? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
21:46 PT: Alex Marvez reports for the Sun Sentinel the Miami Dolphins and New Orleans Saints are expected to resume trade talks for Saints RB Ricky Williams Thursday when both teams attend the on-campus pre-draft NFL workouts for University of Miami players. The Times-Picayune has reported the Saints were leaning toward accepting the Dolphins offer of 2002 first- and fourth-round picks and a conditional third-round selection in 2003 that could increase to a first- or second-rounder if Williams reaches certain rushing incentives. In return Miami would get Williams and the Saints 2002 third-round pick. How strong a player Cleveland is after today's news is not known

This just in from KFFL...

Saints | Still Not Enough - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
7:57 PT: The Times Picayune reports New Orleans Saints GM Randy Mueller said the Miami Dolphins most recent trade offer for RB Ricky Williams is still not enough. "Unless we are going to get better, we're not going to do it," Mueller said Tuesday. "I don't see a present deal really improving us."

It was our final offer. Looks like he'll be a Saint again next year. I guess they never really wanted to trade him. Miami's offer was fair and showed commitment to the deal.

Good news I think...

... the article was there but it quote the NO GM as saying the deal offered by Miami wasn't enough. The fact that they pulled it might indicate that their source was in error and the trade will go ahead tomorrow as proposed.

Er no, not good news...

The article was moved rather than deleted, this time I have copied the text.

(from the Times Picayune, New Orleans):

Mueller still dissatisfied with Dolphins' proposal

Miami appears stronger suitor in Williams chase

03/06/02

By Jeff Duncan
Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

Miami has emerged as the favorite to land Ricky Williams, but the Dolphins might have to sweeten their deal to land the Saints' star running back.

No talks were held Tuesday between the Saints and the two main suitors for Williams -- the Dolphins and Cleveland Browns -- but that didn't mean there wasn't movement. Cleveland appeared to be retreating, while Miami appeared to be gaining momentum.

Whether the Dolphins have come far enough to close a deal remains to be seen.

"Unless we are going to get better, we're not going to do it," Saints general manager Randy Mueller said Tuesday. "I don't see a present deal really improving us."

An NFL source close to the negotiations said the Saints currently favor Miami's offer because the draft picks being offered are more desirable than the players being offered by the Browns.

However, the source said the Saints aren't ready to pull the trigger because they don't want to surrender their third-round pick in this year's draft and don't think Miami's low first-round pick and a fourth-rounder are enough to offset the salary cap hit the team will take.

If the deal is going to happen, it probably will be finalized Thursday when the sides talk in Coral Gables, Fla. Saints and Browns officials will be in south Florida to scout draft prospects at the University of Miami Pro Day.

Dolphins officials say their offer is final.

"I'm sure they're trying to get the best deal they can," Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said. "Deals like this are never done until they're done. A lot of things change."

Miami is working under the assumption that a deal will not be completed, Wannstedt said. If a trade for Williams fails, they plan to bring in free-agent running backs James Allen, Warrick Dunn and Garrison Hearst for visits. But it's clear that Williams, who rushed for a career-high 1,245 yards this season, is Miami's first option.

Cleveland, meanwhile, cooled on the deal one day after appearing to trump the Dolphins with an offer of its first-round pick (No. 16 or 17 overall). In fact, Browns president Carmen Policy denied that his club ever offered its top selection for Williams.

"I'm not saying they didn't have conversations (about the first-round pick), but it was never offered," Policy said. "I'm sure the idea of the first-round pick was mentioned, and probably demanded, but it was never offered."

Mueller declined comment on the Browns' offer.

Wannstedt said Browns coach Butch Davis told him Sunday at the National Football Scouting Combine that the Browns "are not interested" in Williams.

The Browns have offered their first-round pick in this year's draft and any two players from a selected group of players designated by the Browns, NFL sources said. In return, the Browns get Williams and the Saints' third-round pick (No. 78) this season. Cleveland's first-round selection is either the No. 16 or 17 overall pick, pending a coin flip with Atlanta.

The Dolphins have offered a first-round pick (No. 25 overall) and fourth-round pick (No. 125) in this year's draft and a conditional third-round pick in the 2003 draft that could escalate to a first-round pick if Williams meets performance thresholds. The Dolphins are also asking for the Saints' third-round pick.

If the Saints trade Williams, the club will absorb $2.8 million of his prorated signing bonus on this year's salary cap, giving him a cap figure of $4.3 million.

"We don't have anything done, but by the end of the week we will or Ricky will stay here and play for the Saints," Saints coach Jim Haslett said. "Ricky's a good football player, and we're not going to give away good football players. It's nothing against Ricky's abilities. We've got another first-round pick at running back, and we need help in other areas."

Well, if that's what it takes to seal the deal, I say drop the requirement for NO 3rd and sign on the dotted!:rocker:

Ya but I am beginning to wonder what is better. Warrick Dunn and our 1st & 3rd round picks (plus our pick next year) or Ricky Williams? Or our 3rd round pick (and our pick next year) & T.J Duckett. Or taking that first/third and next years pick and moving up to take Green. Or moving up and getting a solid OL while taking Warrick Dunn.

The possibilities are all good and viable.

There is now ay we would draft a RB if we signed Warrick Dunn, because we already have Travis Minor, and Robert Edwards. Screw all this talk, I WANT RICKY WILLIAMS!!!

Warrick Dunn :nono: I have watched the Bucs as long as the Dolphins because of good ol' Mom. Alstott is way better than Dunn. I say......pray for Ricky. :D

I guess there's room for further talk...

...if they don't want to give up their 3rd, surely we don't need to give them our 4th. Who'd be a negotiator:p

Back
Top Bottom