Ricky not interested in pleasing fans.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky not interested in pleasing fans..

I don't think this team has it (mentally) to get them through the playoffs. I blame this on the coach, and the players.

Originally posted by Scrappy
I don't think this team has it (mentally) to get them through the playoffs. I blame this on the coach, and the players.

The coach and the players, you think?:lol:
You're really going out there on a limb Scrappy.:)

yeah, i read that. he doesnt care about the fans that pay his paychecks.. smart thing to say ricky..
okay ricky.. heres my reciept. go wrap up yourself, and the rest of your teammates who share your opinions, in the packaging you came in. then take yourself back to the thrift store you came from.. youre defective.

LOL! You guys thought Ricky was playing for you? That's hilarious! I guess you thought the 72 undefeated team did it just for the fans too.

Too funny.

"It's great when you do meet true fans, but I don't hold them responsible to be true fans. Fans are fans." Ricky

Yea, Ricky doesn't have high expectations for fans. He knows what they are. Hopefully, he really does have a much higher motive for playing the game of football.

I see nothing wrong with his statement... Heck, half of the so-called fans dont even deserve that kind of respect.. How would you feel if you were incessantly dogged by your own fans no matter what you do?? ie Fiedler.. The guy couldnt even go to a Heat game in peace..

Anyway, You think T.O., Moss, Marino, Emmit, Elway all did it for the fans???

saying anything negative about the fans is just plain dumb.. he can be motivated by anything he wants. the bottom line is, if it wasnt for the fans, he wouldnt have a job playing football. period. the fickle fan's money is just as good as the 'true' fan's. and trust me, he takes them both.

Originally posted by SkapePhin
I see nothing wrong with his statement... Heck, half of the so-called fans dont even deserve that kind of respect.. How would you feel if you were incessantly dogged by your own fans no matter what you do?? ie Fiedler.. The guy couldnt even go to a Heat game in peace..

Anyway, You think T.O., Moss, Marino, Emmit, Elway all did it for the fans???

I agree. Name one player who plays for the fans.

If Ricky's #1 motivation was to play for the fans, he'd be burned out. Most fans love you when you make a play. And if you make a mistake, they're cursing your name. Remember, this is their JOB.

Is YOUR #1 motivation for working pleasing the fans (i.e. customers) who pay your salary?? Of course not. Your #1 motivation is survival (i.e. your paycheck).

At my last job, I dealt with thousands of people during the duration of my employment. I'd say 1/4 of the customers hated me because they had no idea what they were doing and felt threatened because I did. 2/4 probably just thought I did my job and had no opinion. And the other 1/4 thought I was great because I was good at what I did and I helped them out.

I loved that job. But I "played for the money". Just like every one of you. All you have to do is try and relate, and you'll see where Ricky's coming from.

Originally posted by Jnaledu3
saying anything negative about the fans is just plain dumb.. he can be motivated by anything he wants. the bottom line is, if it wasnt for the fans, he wouldnt have a job playing football. period. the fickle fan's money is just as good as the 'true' fan's. and trust me, he takes them both.

I don't think he's saying anything bad. They asked him about fans who don't believe. And he was honest.

I think the reason why many people take offense to such comments is because they have a hard time hearing "you're not the most important aspect of my job."

I like the way the writer puts words in ricky's mouth "he really doesn't care what the fans think"

first of all he didn't say that, he said he doesn't hold the fans responsible for being true fans and he admits that we pay his paycheck and that's where the relationship ends.

he's right, he also said he loves when he meets true fans but also like he said the fans are extra. you can't live and die with fans cause if u do you'll go crazy

ricky speaks the truth, he is very modest and soft spoken but he speaks the truth, i don't have a problem with anything he says, because bottom line is that we do pay his paycheck and he does expect us to be upset after 2 back to back losses, but the true fans will keep rooting, the week after.

"If Ricky's #1 motivation was to play for the fans, he'd be burned out. Most fans love you when you make a play. And if you make a mistake, they're cursing your name. Remember, this is their JOB.

Is YOUR #1 motivation for working pleasing the fans (i.e. customers) who pay your salary?? Of course not. Your #1 motivation is survival (i.e. your paycheck)."

of course your main motivation is your paycheck, not pleasing the fans.. but nevertheless, they are still the customers and they still pay your paycheck. you have to act like you appreciate them and provide them with service, even if you dont like it.
and yes.. i know whats its like.. when i worked at home depot (that sucked), i worked to earn my paycheck. put i still put the customers first in my job there, the customers were my job. i couldnt just ignore them, or tell them "yeah im just helping you because i have to, i dont really care." maybe thats what i was really thinking, but of course im not going to tell them that. i acted like i was pleased to help them, even if i wasnt.. if i did anything else, then i would have been fired, and i would have deserved that..
so ricky can motivate himself however he wants. but if he has an opinion about the fans, he needs to keep it to himself, because thats also his job.

Originally posted by Jeep

I find that kinda insulting....................

I agree. If it weren't for the fans spending money on the team, Ricky wouldn't have the money that he has today. The fans are the reason why Ricky makes money. They are the ones who buy season tickets, Dolphins jerseys with #34 on the back, etc. He shouldn't say the fans are just "extra" because it will turn them off, and because they are the reason why he has all of the nice things that he has today.

Originally posted by Jnaledu3

so ricky can motivate himself however he wants. but if he has an opinion about the fans, he needs to keep it to himself, because thats also his job.

He's a human being living in the USA. He has free will. And nowhere in his contract does it state that he can't say whatever he wants. On the contrary, he is encouraged, and indirectly obligated, to speak to the media and answer their questions.

As d-rok stated above, nowhere in that article did Ricky diss the fans. He said he appreciates the fans and they pay his salary. The author chose the tone and title of the article.

As Ricky related, the fans pay his check.....and he goes out on the field and performs and prepares during the week. Whether they choose to be poor fans or great fans isn't his concern because there's nothing he can do about it. All he can do is give 110% on that field.

And to build on that point....Ricky elaborated Monday night on this topic. He said that while he certainly likes the attention and adoration, he doesn't get to high or low about fan appreciate because it "isn't real". They love him because he's a good football player for their team. If he were just an average person, nobody would care. And when the game is over for him, that love is going to disappear.

Finally, if Ricky DID play for the fans (literally), he probably wouldn't show up this week.....since the majority of Dolphin fans think the Phins are finished this season.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

He shouldn't say the fans are just "extra" because it will turn them off, and because they are the reason why he has all of the nice things that he has today.

While I think Ricky is being taken out of context here (and possibly put on the defensive by the question), that is not the point I'm going to make.

My point is, Ricky is unusually honest for a football player. And when someone is that honest, you're not always going to hear what you want to hear.

So you take the "good" with the "bad" for the sake of the truth. That said, we usually like what Ricky has to say.

Back
Top Bottom