Ricky not interested in pleasing fans.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky not interested in pleasing fans..

I hate the media... Words are a powerful thing.. It is rather easy to turn innocent words into a controversial statement..

I hope this doesnt create a fan backlash against Ricky because he doesnt deserve it.. Dont push him away.. If he didnt care about the fans he wouldnt have an open diary giving all of us an in depth, inside look into his life.. would he?

yes, ricky is a person living in the USA. but he is also a professional athlete getting paid millions of dollars for playing in the NFL. professionals just dont say "the fans are extra." thats what punks say.
and if it was not for the fans, thats what he would be. a punk.

Good point. And he wouldn't donate alot of his time to charity like he does. I think he digs the fans. But when it comes to performing on the field, he has to tune them out.

Originally posted by Jnaledu3
yes, ricky is a person living in the USA. but he is also a professional athlete getting paid millions of dollars for playing in the NFL. professionals just dont say "the fans are extra." thats what punks say.
and if it was not for the fans, thats what he would be. a punk.

Re-read the article. I think you're comments are way off base.

"I think this game is too hard to play for the fans," Williams said. "We have to play for ourselves and for our pride and our dignity and our paychecks. The fans are, I think, just extra."

So that last part is a diss?? I just don't see it that way.

"It's great when you do meet true fans, but I don't hold them responsible to be true fans. Fans are fans."

If anything, he's cutting the fans some slack here. Nothing "punk" about that.

My money says the conversation went something like this......

Reporter: Ricky, alot of Dolphin fans have given up on the season. They don't think you guys have a chance to make the playoffs. That the season is, for all intensive purposes, over. What are you're thoughts on that??

Ricky: "I don't hold the fans responsible for anything," Williams said Friday. "The fact that they're fans doesn't mean that they have to be true Dolphins fans."

Reporter: But don't you think the fans owe it to you and the team to stick with you till the end?? Does that make them poor fans??

Ricky: "They paid money, and they come to the games and they watch our games on TV and that, therefore, pays our paychecks. But I think that's the extent of our relationship as far as I'm concerned.

"It's great when you do meet true fans, but I don't hold them responsible to be true fans. Fans are fans."

See how benign I can make it?? And I'll bet you this very closely resembled what was said in the interview.

You can't believe everything you read. The media puts their own spin on everything. They write whatever sells even if it is not 100% accurate.

I am sure Ricky is smart enough to know that the fans make the NFL. He deserves the benefit of the doubt IMO.

Perhaps the writers are looking for a scapegoat for the season(ie Jamal Mashburn for the Heat in 99-2000). Ricky is a hard target since he's a fan favorite. Why not Jamar Fletcher or Auturo Freeman? Or Jay Fiedler? Those are easy targets.

Cuz Ricky isnt media friendly... The only media the Ricky really even likes down here seems to be LeBatard...

Miami fans in Pro Player can easily be outnumbered.. He's definetely discouraged by the Miami fans being outnumbered by Philly fans on Monday Night Football..

No excuse.. Ricky is right.. fans are just fans..

Originally posted by Muck

While I think Ricky is being taken out of context here (and possibly put on the defensive by the question), that is not the point I'm going to make.

My point is, Ricky is unusually honest for a football player. And when someone is that honest, you're not always going to hear what you want to hear.

So you take the "good" with the "bad" for the sake of the truth. That said, we usually like what Ricky has to say.

Excellent point Muck ... I'd rather hear him tell it like it is than blow smoke up our butts.

I have no problem with what Ricky said. He shouldn't care about the fans that have losted faith, it doesn't affect him personally if some fans want to pack it in. Becuase he doesn't want to pack it in, and he is still willing to work to get there.

Originally posted by Jnaledu3
yeah, i read that. he doesnt care about the fans that pay his paychecks.. smart thing to say ricky..
okay ricky.. heres my reciept. go wrap up yourself, and the rest of your teammates who share your opinions, in the packaging you came in. then take yourself back to the thrift store you came from.. youre defective.

I'm assuming by your 35-3 Bills prediction for tomorrow's game(which Miami will win BTW) that you're a Bills fan. If so, what does it matter to you? You're not buying Ricky's jerseys, you're not paying his salary and he was talking about fair weather fin fans.

Back
Top Bottom