Ricky Speaks......Tells Fans to GTH. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky Speaks......Tells Fans to GTH.

Muck said:
If you've read Ricky's writings on his site the past two years, this wouldn't come as a suprise to you.

Ricky has long said that the adulation is only temporary. That when he leaves the game, that adulation will go away. That the moment his play begins to decline, the fans will turn.

I'm sorry, but Ricky doesn't have a responsibility to play for the fans. He didn't make you buy the jersey. Heck, he doesn't even sell them. Nor does he get all the profits. That's the NFL's cash cow. And the money is distributed evenly.

If he doesn't want to play, he shouldn't play. He's wealthy enough to be able to make that choice. If he did play, he'd be accused of underachieving and dogging it. The only responsibility he didn't fufill was giving this organization a chance to execute a contingency plan. THAT'S where I have beef, because he's left his teammates in a lurch.

Other than that, I respect his decision. You need to get over it.
I disagree that it's that simple to defend him, Muck. Tens of thousands of people purchased season or game tickets and sponsors purchased ad space or whatever with the perfectly reasonable expectation that Ricky would be playing. They all accepted the risk that he could be out due to injury, but Ricky's decision to leave them in the lurch with devalued tickets and ads was based on vanity and self-absorption and he seems not to care that it cost each one of them MONEY. What he does with his is his business. What he just did to everyone else's interest is something I choose not to forgive.

Bitching about waking up sore when you are a football star is about as stupid as a smoker bitching about lung cancer. He enjoyeed it when he knew it was gonna make him rich.

true50 said:
Muck you say he dosent have to play for the fans right.and that hes wealthy right ? but dont forget the because of the fans is the reason why he is wealthy.imagine if no fans watched football he would not be a millionaire i promise you that

That's a very simplistic way of looking at things. I'll break it down better......

Take your job. You work for a company. Every company makes money from it's customers. But you don't work for the customers. You work for the benefit of yourself (to survive and pay bills).

What if nobody employs your company's services (watched football)?? You wouldn't make money. But that still doesn't change the fact that you work for the benefit of yourself and not the customers.

So back to the real issue, it really makes no difference what a player's reasons are for playing the game. All that matters is that he plays well. Ricky has always played for himself (just like every other player). And you loved him. Because in actuality, you really don't care what kind of guy he is. Just as long as he totes that rock well.

Finally, I'm sure he appreciates the fans. I know he does. But the fact remains, he has to be true to himself first and foremost.

ZOD said:
Guy,

I do something as simple as deliver packages for a living. When I am sick, want a personal holiday, or retire I give some kind of notice for the company to prepare for my absence. It's just a common courtesy. When sick (which is seldom) I call in as early as I come to grip with the fact that I cannot do the job. I am forced by contract to give eight days notice for just one day off. I am forced by contract to schedule my vacations in November of the previous year. In every job you have responsibility to your co-workers, your customers and most of all your employer.

Aside from a life threatening illness to yourself or a family member there is no excuse for what he has done. Put any spin on it you want. Bottom line he will be remembered as one of the most selfish acts in the sporting world.

It is a completely selfish act.

What's similar? I could work all year until my employer is stretched to maximum capacity on December 12 and not return. Package volume in my location climbs from a normal 11,000 packages to 20,000 in December. That is what he has done.

The fireman? Quit when the bell sounds.
The emergency room? Leave during the earthquake.
The lawyer? Quit when he realizes he has to go to trial.
The fast food employee? Quit at 11:30 am.

Everyone could do this at their place of employ.

Ricky Williams is a selfish bastard.
Bravo, my exact feelings. I could care less what RW wants to do with his life, it's the principle behind this all.

P4E said:
I disagree that it's that simple to defend him, Muck. Tens of thousands of people purchased season or game tickets and sponsors purchased ad space or whatever with the perfectly reasonable expectation that Ricky would be playing. They all accepted the risk that he could be out due to injury, but Ricky's decision to leave them in the lurch with devalued tickets and ads was based on vanity and self-absorption and he seems not to care that it cost each one of them MONEY. What he does with his is his business. What he just did to everyone else's interest is something I choose not to forgive.
AMEN P4E!!!!

Now I must get rid of my newly acquired "Finz 34" license plates.

P4E said:

Again, WE AGREE. If he had announced this earlier in the year, everything else becomes largely irrelevant because, again, the organization gets the chance to formulate and/or execute contingency plans. But he waited till the last minute, thereby screwing everybody over. THAT'S where I have beef with him.

ZOD said:
Guy,

I do something as simple as deliver packages for a living. When I am sick, want a personal holiday, or retire I give some kind of notice for the company to prepare for my absence. It's just a common courtesy. When sick (which is seldom) I call in as early as I come to grip with the fact that I cannot do the job. I am forced by contract to give eight days notice for just one day off. I am forced by contract to schedule my vacations in November of the previous year. In every job you have responsibility to your co-workers, your customers and most of all your employer.

Aside from a life threatening illness to yourself or a family member there is no excuse for what he has done. Put any spin on it you want. Bottom line he will be remembered as one of the most selfish acts in the sporting world.

What's similar? I could work all year until my employer is stretched to maximum capacity on December 12 and not return. Package volume in my location climbs from a normal 11,000 packages to 20,000 in December. That is what he has done.

So how many firemen, doctors, lawyers or fast food employees have to do their job in front of 80,000 people? There is a slight difference between their jobs.

I see the point you're trying to make, but calling Ricky selfish for taking another step in his life is rediculous. I was pissed when I heard the news this morning, but if he wants to throw all of his talent away, then let him.

ZOD said:
Guy,

Good post.

For those of you pissed because you bought season tickets and were expecting to see Ricky I have one question....

If he would have gotten injured during training camp and had to miss the entire season, would you still feel this resentment towards him?

Guy Incognito said:
For those of you pissed because you bought season tickets and were expecting to see Ricky I have one question....

If he would have gotten injured during training camp and had to miss the entire season, would you still feel this resentment towards him?

If he self inflicted his injury, then yes, people would have reason to.

ZOD said:

Zod,

I am placing this post in my personal Great Posts Hall of Fame. You're exactly right, and when this is combined with my sentiment about how he just screwed work-a-day people out of a large part of the value they were reasonably expecting to get when they bought tickets, it's unconscionable.

I loved Ricky's perserverance despite the anxiety disorder. Now I despise him for his self-absorbed disregard for the fans who cheered him like few other players. **** him.

The more I think about it the more I'm starting to get a little peeved. Screw Ricky.
He is a fcking nut job, HOWEVER, WE ALL KNEW what we were getting when the team picked him up. A head case who could implode at any moment. Can't wait to see how Boston winds up playing now. :)

Guy Incognito said:

Of course not......do you even read what you post?

That was the dumbest thing posted on here today.

Guy Incognito said:

HELLO? IS ANYBODY THERE??

Are u nutz guy?

What kind of resentment would someone have toward a guy if he got injured??

None that I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom