Rivers and Carey... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rivers and Carey...

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
Phillip Rivers (NC State) is the third best QB in the draft and will still be available when we pick at 20. Carey is the third best O-Lineman in the draft and will also be available to pick in the first round.

If Ogunleye is farmed out and we have 2 first round picks, would the Carey/Rivers duo please fans, or would WR/OLine be preferable - Clayton/Carey, or QB/WR - Rivers/Clayton.

Or should we trade the lot for Manning?

Make this a poll and let's see how the vote goes...

this is going to be brunell's team next year. i think losman would benefit greatly by playing under brunell for a couple of seasons, they are more alike, unlike rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rivers and carey would be a perfect 1st rd! That's if we have 2 1st! If only 1 i want Rivers at 20!!

I've read that Carey will slip to the second round because he's not playing the bowl this weekend. Doesn't that affect your scheme? If he's not a 1st rounder and we take him in the first it's a bad move right?

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
I've read that Carey will slip to the second round because he's not playing the bowl this weekend. Doesn't that affect your scheme? If he's not a 1st rounder and we take him in the first it's a bad move right?

Maybe. What you have to ask yourself is "will anyone better than Carey be on the board when we pick"? If the answer is no, you have 2 choices.

1 reach for him

or

2. Trade down

IMO if he's first round talent, but sits out the senior bowl, he is STILL first round talent, but that's just me. I put more stock in the talent of the player, rather than how many hoops they jump through. It would be nice to trade down and still get him, but what would we really gain from it? We'd get a second and a third? IF we could trade a first for a 2nd and a 3rd, I support it, but we wouldn't get a high second, and I'd expect him to go rather high. It would be a risk, and we need OL.

Also-Who keeps saying we need Losman? HONESTLY he's a leafe esque people. Great arm, not much else. You NEED to compare the two, rivers has a TERMENDOUS upside, Losman is a gamble at best. Rivers will go in the first round, if not to us, then to GB, there is NO way Losman will go high. And there's a reason for it, he's a bust waiting to happen.

i like rivers/clayton...... good QBs and WRs are hard to come by, but O-lineman are a dime a dozen - there will be PLENTY still available in the later rounds of the draft....

If we get a first for wally, I would not mind that scenario. However I would also like to pursue some need areas VIA free agency. If I had my choice I would trade both #1s and #1 next year for Eli. If not then reggie williams or Lee with the first and rivers with the other pick. Then get a G/C (Woody or another) T (Tait) and a WR to teach the new pick and CC. How about Bruce? I think whatever the draft brings this FA focus would benefit us next year. Next years key players:
QB Brunell-Eli-Sage
or Brunell-Rivers-Sage

Line
Smith-Nails-Seth-Woody-Tait

WR
CC-Bruce-Williams/Lee

That might make a powerful offense to comliment our decent D.
I dont know if its cap possible, but its nice to dream.:D

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan
i like rivers/clayton...... good QBs and WRs are hard to come by, but O-lineman are a dime a dozen - there will be PLENTY still available in the later rounds of the draft....

I heard this yeard O line draft is lean. However I agree if you get the chance we need to get skill position when you get the chance. One may say the WR is deep so go O line first. I could see that, but the reason the WR draft is so deep is b/c the ones at the top are superb. Why pass on one of them unless you are getting something as close to a gauranteed franchise QB in Manning.

i see what you are saying.... but thin or not i would STILL pick a WR and QB over O-lineman... i think we need all 3 desperately, but i would do it in that order.

lets face it, QB and WR require wayyy more talent and are more rare... we could find a big guy that just blocks through late draft or free agency. i don't see this as being an issue. hell we could even train our own lineman we have now better. we need a new o-lineman coach.

Again, who'll play LE in place of O-gun? Open your eyes people. Yes we want to get better on offence but not by making the defence weaker. Now he may leave and I understand that. But everyone on here is talking about what player on OFENCE we'll take and noone's saying anything about who's gonna replace those 15 sacks and the great job he did playing the run.Some of you want to add by subtracting and we'll be back at square one. And keep on mind one more thing, our defence wasn't as great as some people are saying.

Ozzy rules!!

up the irons!!

Well what did we do after Trace left. We found someone else. It is not that hard to find a #2 defensive end in this league. It isn't. To sacrifice OL money and another 1st rounder would be stupid.

By the way look for the Phins to draft a DT in the mid rounds this year that is a very good pass rusher for passing situations. With Zgonina that will be our third down package.

Back
Top Bottom