Rivers and Carey... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rivers and Carey...

Originally posted by finsfan4life
I'd prefer Losman and Clayton or Woods.

how can you say that with what I assume is a straight face?

Originally posted by Jaj
Well what did we do after Trace left. We found someone else. It is not that hard to find a #2 defensive end in this league. It isn't. To sacrifice OL money and another 1st rounder would be stupid.

By the way look for the Phins to draft a DT in the mid rounds this year that is a very good pass rusher for passing situations. With Zgonina that will be our third down package.
Ok, we found someone else and it took 3 years for him to play this good. Again, I know we'd play someone there, the question is who do you suggest? If he leave then he leaves, but we still have to replace him and is not as easy as you're making it look. And why are you saying he's the #2 DE when he actually and clearly outplayed JT this past year? Anyway, is not really up to us anyway...lol

Ozzy rules!!
up the irons!!

3 years? It was year 1 he got nine sacks.

David Bowens is a very talented pass rusher. J. Williams is good. Otis Grisby holds alot of promise. No he did not outplay J.T. considering J.T. went up against LTs and J.T. went against the double teams the majority of the time.

Graythreat I am appaled by this attitude you have about J.P. Losman. You don't know a damn about J.P. Losman and yet you have bought into the Phillip Rivers hype and that Losman is a Ryan Leaf. Again I say he has nothing in comparison with Leaf, because Losman can be coached and yes he is ****y, but he is not an *******. This is a message to a large amount of posters who chose to call a player a bust yet they don't know a damn thing about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Danny

Ok, we found someone else and it took 3 years for him to play this good. Again, I know we'd play someone there, the question is who do you suggest? If he leave then he leaves, but we still have to replace him and is not as easy as you're making it look. And why are you saying he's the #2 DE when he actually and clearly outplayed JT this past year? Anyway, is not really up to us anyway...lol

Ozzy rules!!
up the irons!!

When was the last time that DE was a weak spot on our defensive line? It hasn't been an issue for years. Want to know why? because we DO have depth on our defense. Not to mention, that whoever plays #2 DE will be acrossed from JT. He makes anyone play better. I'm NOT saying OG is over rated, I'm pointing out that ANY DE that comes to Miami will play better here than elsewhere because the defense gives so much attnetion to JT.

Besides that point, HOW do you intend to keep O-gun? We have to resign Chambers before next season's over, or he's an unrestricted FA. And we're allready 11 mil over the cap. How do YOU intend to pay this DE who may be really really good, but will ask for a really really big contract?

Originally posted by Jaj
3 years? It was year 1 he got nine sacks.

David Bowens is a very talented pass rusher. J. Williams is good. Otis Grisby holds alot of promise. No he did not outplay J.T. considering J.T. went up against LTs and J.T. went against the double teams the majority of the time.

Graythreat I am appaled by this attitude you have about J.P. Losman. You don't know a damn about J.P. Losman and yet you have bought into the Phillip Rivers hype and that Losman is a Ryan Leaf. Again I say he has nothing in comparison with Leaf, because Losman can be coached and yes he is ****y, but he is not an *******.

Bought into the rivers hype? I was into rivers way before he was hyped, and you just named the problem with Losman.

he's a ****y player. Some people say "he's not the bad type of ****y". What type of ****y is exactly good? The ONLY acceptable type of ****y is the type where the player can back it up (Sapp, TO) and even then it's cancer to a locker room. Try bringin that into a team like the dolphins who has been hurting for a QB for the past 4 years, and see what happens.

Let's bring in an unproven rookie with an attitude problem, and let him run our offense. The part of the team that everyone knows is hurting, and is looking for someone to lead. Would YOU follow a ****y guy? I wouldn't. It's different when a ****y person is a WR or an OL, and they don't RUN the Offense or defense, but when it's the QB, then it becomes a problem

Phillip Rivers is everything Losman is not. He is a team player, a true stand up guy. It makes it VERY easy to respect him. He is dead accurate, and makes awesome reads. The only physical difference between the two is Losman has more of an arm.

That was the difference between a ****y Ryan leaf, and a stand up Payton manning.....

I'm not hating on Losman. It's just absurd to think that we should take him over Rivers.

Ryan Leaf had an attitude. Losman is competitive, big difference. How the heck do you know Losman? If he is a team player or not. Actually from what his teammates said he is also a leader. The only good player on that whole team!

Well let's not argue so much over this. But how bout we agree that whoever does better at this year's Senior Bowl is the winner in this debate. No excuses they are both on the same team with the same personnel.

Originally posted by finsnchips
Phillip Rivers (NC State) is the third best QB in the draft

Losman is.

I'd prefer Clayton/Carey or Clayton/Losman.

If we don't draft a QB in the first, we can either draft one in the 3rd or trade for Henson, to be groomed by a guy like Brunell.

I doubt Marino goes for a WEAK armed QB(Rivers).

Originally posted by Graythreat

When was the last time that DE was a weak spot on our defensive line? It hasn't been an issue for years. Want to know why? because we DO have depth on our defense. Not to mention, that whoever plays #2 DE will be acrossed from JT. He makes anyone play better. I'm NOT saying OG is over rated, I'm pointing out that ANY DE that comes to Miami will play better here than elsewhere because the defense gives so much attnetion to JT.

Besides that point, HOW do you intend to keep O-gun? We have to resign Chambers before next season's over, or he's an unrestricted FA. And we're allready 11 mil over the cap. How do YOU intend to pay this DE who may be really really good, but will ask for a really really big contract?
I never said we could keep him. What I'm saying is that everyone on here seems to want him replace with a player on ofence when we draft. There's one more thing to consider. We know what he can do but there's no way of telling what a draft pick will do. Half the picks in the 1st round are busts.I see the points you guys are making, I'm just not so sure that it'll work as easy as some of you guys are saying.

Ozzy rules!!
up the irons!!

Armstrong also outplayed JT in 2000. that surely doesnt mean armstrong is/was the better player. O-gun may have outplayed JT this year but I sure would rather have JT than O-gun if I had to choose.

Originally posted by knoxpk
Armstrong also outplayed JT in 2000. that surely doesnt mean armstrong is/was the better player. O-gun may have outplayed JT this year but I sure would rather have JT than O-gun if I had to choose.

I agree and we DO have to choose. After next year we cant afford both and with the need on the O side lets get something for him while we can.

You guys are forgetting to consider who J.T. plays against. He gets sacks on the LTs. Ogunleye gets them easier going against the RTs. I do not think that Ogunleye outplayed J.T.

Ok, I'm convinced now. Lets just get rid of O-gun cos as long as we have JT we'll win the superbowl every year....lol Btw, I love JT as he's a good player but he was manhandle often this past season one on one starting with Pitts on opening day. Again, not trying to put him down but he's not God and of course neither is O-gun but I'd rather have them both if we can.

Ozzy rules!!
up the irons!!

But you also have to consider that in addition to the RT, Wally also faces the TE the majority of the time. That takes at least a half second off his rush.

Contrary to popular belief, JT wasn't getting doubled every down like people tend to imply. He got singled up alot this year.

Originally posted by finsnchips
Phillip Rivers (NC State) is the third best QB in the draft and will still be available when we pick at 20. Carey is the third best O-Lineman in the draft and will also be available to pick in the first round.

Rivers is more like the 5th-7th best QB in the draft but some team, like the Raiders, will reach for him.

Carey is probably the 4th & now maybe the 5th or 6th best olineman with Chris Snee entering the draft & with Carey's no show at Mobile Jacob Rogers & Jake Grove could slide up ahead of him.

I would be fine with Rivers/Carey, but my preference is Clayton/Rivers. I also would be fine with trading those two picks for Ben R. I don't mention Losman b/c I have never seen him play, but I have seen Rivers and I like him. I'm a little worried about his footwork, but we'll find out if that will be an issue after this week of NFL coaching.

I like Ogun, but a franchise QB is more important than a 2nd DE. If you believe any of these QBs can be that you have to let Ogun go. Also, the coaching staff was hinting that Bowens would start ahead of Ogun (after his 9 sack season) before Bowens got hurt. If there is a drop off from Ogun to Bowens, I don't think it will be that big.

Back
Top Bottom