Rivers, Losman, Schaub, whoever... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rivers, Losman, Schaub, whoever...

I can't believe that I'm reading this. A first round pick on a QB is not a waste it's a gamble; the same way any other pick is a gamble. Granted, the percentages are a bit lower when it comes to a QB because its a unique position that requires a lot of different player aspects in order for one to become great or even very good however, a team absolutely has to take a shot on a QB if they are ever to become a viable long term contender.

Of all of the QB's mentioned in the opening post, Favre is the only one who has ever approached greatness; the rest are essentially journeymen who have one or two good, not great (with the possible exception of Gannon- he has one great season) seasons. None of them, at this point, is a significant upgrade over the guys that are currently on the roster.

Sure, you can take a shot on a guy like Delhomme who essentially has about the same talent level as Fiedler and hope that he works out but, in most cases, these guys are really streaky (like Fiedler) and have a hard time putting up consistent number year after year (like Fiedler.) Yes, I'm sure there is a guy who can be plugged in to the offense who can be a caretaker (just like Fiedler) and who will no lose games on a regular basis (like Fiedler) but it's rare that you're going to find a retread guy who actually has the ability to take over and win games.

This is precisely the reason you take a shot on a talented, young QB in the first round. They may need some grooming but, in the end, if the guy pays off the reward will have far outweighed the risk you would have taken in grabbing the guy in the first place. There is one thing to remember here, and this is an adage that rings VERY true in business and in life: The greater the risk, the greater the reward and, with an unproven QB, you're taking a great risk in hopes of garnering that great reward.

Remember, many of the greatest QB's were taken in the first round.

Originally posted by Cranx
Remember, many of the greatest QB's were taken in the first round.

Sure, that was back before those QB's got 6 months of a chance.

It goes like this in the NFL.

Draft a QB number 1.

He comes in year 2 (that's if the team doesn't suck already in year1)

You hear in the following offseason of how he learned in year 2.

Year three he stinks up the joint.

Year four he's on the bench in favor of some guy you traded for.

Year five the QB and the coach are gone.

This is not 1983.

"and the sign says long haired, freaky people-will be shot on site"

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by ZOD

Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey
Michael Vick
Chad Pennington
Tim Couch
Donovan Mcnabb
Daunte Culpepper
Peyton Mannning
Steve Mcnair
Kerry Collins
Drew Bledsoe
Tommy Maddox

I see 14 out of 16 QB’s that I would rather have starting for the Dolphins then Jay Fiedler. :lol:

Originally posted by ZOD
Brett Favre-2nd round, pick number 6

Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey
Michael Vick
Chad Pennington
Tim Couch
Donovan Mcnabb
Daunte Culpepper
Peyton Mannning
Steve Mcnair
Kerry Collins
Drew Bledsoe
Tommy Maddox

There are your 16 starters drafted in the first round.

Six out of sixteen is still pretty good and I'm a bit more optimistic than six. With the exception of Tommy Maddox, who was never a very good QB and still isn't, I would love to have any of those guys. You could argue Bledsoe's on his way down but the guy was pretty darn good for a lot of years so I'd rather spend a first rounder, get a Bledsoe, and get his 8 or 9 good years than continually trying to insert stop-gap QB's in an effort to shore up the offense. As for several of the other guy's on that list, they're still very young (Leftwich, Boller, Grossman, Carr, Harrington, etc) and need another couple of years before we can decide one way or another whether they were worth the pick (my guess is that neither Grossman nor Boller will be in the end.)

this is an awful thread...

i'm glad you're not the GM.

Originally posted by lauderdale

I see 14 out of 16 QB’s that I would rather have starting for the Dolphins then Jay Fiedler. :lol:

Agreed.

But the point is that there are probably about 14 second round and beyond QBs or trade QBs that you would rather have than what is on that list.

Originally posted by ZOD

Agreed.

But the point is that there are probably about 14 second round and beyond QBs or trade QBs that you would rather have than what is on that list.

thats not true...

Michael Vick
Chad Pennington
Donovan Mcnabb
Daunte Culpepper
Peyton Mannning
Steve Mcnair
Kerry Collins
Drew Bledsoe

these guys are some of the top QB in the NFL. the exceptions are Collins, and Bledsoe because they had awful offenses to work with. but theres not many of over these 8 guys i wouldn't want (maybe because of age).

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
this is an awful thread...

i'm glad you're not the GM.

So you think this team is in for a rebuild?

You think this team could not use another young quality lineman.

You think this team could not use a young wide receiver?

Here is the real question. Given the history of Dave Wannestadt's responsibility of bringing a young QB to an acceptable level (Cade Mcnown)- Do you think it's wise to give him another rookie to deal with?

I'm glad I'm not the GM neither because I couldn't stand listening to the drivel of picking a name that is less prepared than 30 other QBs that are already in the league. But I'm certainly not naive enough to think that a rookie is the answer to this teams whoas.

Originally posted by ZOD

So you think this team is in for a rebuild?

You think this team could not use another young quality lineman.

You think this team could not use a young wide receiver?

Here is the real question. Given the history of Dave Wannestadt's responsibility of bringing a young QB to an acceptable level (Cade Mcnown)- Do you think it's wise to give him another rookie to deal with?

I'm glad I'm not the GM neither because I couldn't stand listening to the drivel of picking a name that is less prepared than 30 other QBs that are already in the league. But I'm certainly not naive enough to think that a rookie is the answer to this teams whoas.

You draft a QB in the 1st you're rebuilding?

So you expect a rookie WR, and a rookie lineman to be wonders? drafting a QB early doesn't mean you're in rebuilding mode. The offense itself is pretty young (the future stars like Chambers, McMichael, Smith, Williams). So why not give them a future QB, while upgrading in FA?

The WR pool in FA is good. The lineman pool is good. FA can deal with that perfect. Having a young guy in the wings is a good thing. it doesn't mean it's time to rebuild.

Michael Vick-It's his attributes that amounted to that broken leg. What has he really done? One coach has already been fired.

Chad Pennington-I like him. He doesn't make mistakes. Sounds familiar to the Dolphins :huh: One of the better coaches in the NFL has job security issues this year.

Donovan Mcnabb-That 100 million dollar contract will weigh heavily on that franchise for a long time.

Daunte Culpepper-Ditto for above. Nobody has still explained the phenomena of Gus Frerotte coming in and performing at the same level. One coach has already been fired and the second is coming.

Peyton Mannning-His attribute.. He is one of the few QBs allowed to audible. The majority of the league would like the same opportunity but their coach will not give it to them. He got Jim Mora fired.

Steve Mcnair-His head has taken over for his legs. Rarity.

Kerry Collins-The Giants are the Dolphins of the NFC. They defeat who they should. They lose to the better teams. He quit in Carolina. Couldn't unseat anybody in New Orleans. What do you see that all the rest have missed. BTW another coach just got fired under his reign (Capers and Fossil)

Drew Bledsoe-Let's see. He's on what? His sixth coach now? Or is it seven? I lost count.

Do you see the instability that arrives with these guys?

Have they had any better results than the Dolphins during the same time period?

You draft a QB in the 1st you're rebuilding?

So you expect a rookie WR, and a rookie lineman to be wonders? drafting a QB early doesn't mean you're in rebuilding mode. The offense itself is pretty young (the future stars like Chambers, McMichael, Smith, Williams). So why not give them a future QB, while upgrading in FA?

The WR pool in FA is good. The lineman pool is good. FA can deal with that perfect. Having a young guy in the wings is a good thing. it doesn't mean it's time to rebuild.

Where are you getting all of this money for the FAs?

I (and I'm sure Brian Weidemeyer) would like to know.

And to answer the rebuilding question. YES!

I'll answer this question again.

You think Losman, Rivers, or Schaub will be the studs? I'd bet the farm that at least two will be busts for somebody if they are indeed taken in the first.

Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Michael Clayton, Rashaun Woods, Michael Jenkins, Lee Evans, Mark Clayton, will all produce on some level for some team next year and beyond.

On the line.

Chris Snee, David Baas. Jonathan Clinkscale, Shaun Andrews, Vernon Carey, Jacob Rogers, Robert Gallery, and Ben Wilkerson can be put in the lineup in year one and they will produce. They are not 3rd round TE's drafted to be a tackle.

Dealing with a team that had 10 wins last year and 9 the year before, I don't think that picking a QB with the 20th pick in the draft would be a prudent decision considering that all coaches in the NFL will tell you in the first year you get nothing out of them.

Originally posted by ZOD
Michael Vick-It's his attributes that amounted to that broken leg. What has he really done? One coach has already been fired.

Chad Pennington-I like him. He doesn't make mistakes. Sounds familiar to the Dolphins :huh: One of the better coaches in the NFL has job security issues this year.

Donovan Mcnabb-That 100 million dollar contract will weigh heavily on that franchise for a long time.

Daunte Culpepper-Ditto for above. Nobody has still explained the phenomena of Gus Frerotte coming in and performing at the same level. One coach has already been fired and the second is coming.

Peyton Mannning-His attribute.. He is one of the few QBs allowed to audible. The majority of the league would like the same opportunity but their coach will not give it to them. He got Jim Mora fired.

Steve Mcnair-His head has taken over for his legs. Rarity.

Kerry Collins-The Giants are the Dolphins of the NFC. They defeat who they should. They lose to the better teams. He quit in Carolina. Couldn't unseat anybody in New Orleans. What do you see that all the rest have missed. BTW another coach just got fired under his reign (Capers and Fossil)

Drew Bledsoe-Let's see. He's on what? His sixth coach now? Or is it seven? I lost count.

Do you see the instability that arrives with these guys?

Have they had any better results than the Dolphins during the same time period?

You're blaming the QB for coaches being fired? You're only making my comment of this being an awful thread true.

Vick- what did he do? win every game except the one where the whole coach debacle happened. yeah it was his fault all right. :lol:

McNabb- it's over 12 years... it's 9.5 million a year (like 2 mill more then fiedler).

Pennington- Herm Edwards have job security issues? he just got a 2 year extension. it's not his fault that GM got rid of his best players. this has nothing to do with Edwards.

Daunte Culpepper- He didn't get Green fired. Green was fired because Robert Smith retired and that offense became one dimensional. he's a long ball QB.. thats why Gus did great. throw it to randy and you AOK. his mobility makes him great... he's a truck.

Peyton Manning- Mora got fired because he was losing it... he was crying about how he should be the HC of the colts, and how Peyton messed up. he was unstable as that HC... Dungy was a much better hire.

Kerry Collins- he is an alcohalic... it's a disease. he didn't "quit" by choice... it's who he is. yeah, he got fossil fired... fossil got fired because he lost the team, and the line was AWFUL. worst in the NFL.

Drew Bledsoe- yup... 6 coaches were fired because of him. didn't he have a great year last year? they didn't take his weapons away right? the line didn't suck right?

worst thread EVER. your points are awful and completely ridiculous. NUFF SAID

Back
Top Bottom