Ronnie Deal Could Pick Up Pace Very Soon | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie Deal Could Pick Up Pace Very Soon

Rrodr038 said:
:eek:
These are direct quotes from the two articles:

"The Raiders generated $14 million in operating income last season. While this kind of return would make any other non-NFL sports owner salivate, it was still more than 30% below the league average of $22 million."

And just in case you might think that when they say operating income they are referring to something other than operating profit they refer to the Raiders 14 million dollar operarting profit again:

"All of this adds up to total revenue of $151 million, with an operating profit last season of $31 million, more than twice that of the Raiders."

The last two quotes are from the 2003 article. Here's one from the more recent 2004 article:

"The salary cap and rich TV deal gave NFL owners a cumulative operating profit of $1 billion last season, compared with collective losses for both Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League."

The billion dollar cummulative operating profit, as I said before, would be a 31.25 million dollar operating profit average. I think that's as clear cut as it gets.

Furthermore, for Atlantaphin and hehateme, who believe that making a profit is dificult in the NFL:
"The NFL system also ensures that every team makes money whether they win or lose."

"Unlike other sports though, all NFL teams prosper from this league-wide success. In the NFL, teams share 74% of their revenue compared to 34% in the National Basketball Association, 25% in baseball, and 12% for the National Hockey League."

Like I said before, I think those articles make the statement seem less true, not more true, not even taking into consideration that Huizenga owns 'Phins Stadium, which either by interest expense or rent payments negates a large expenditure.
I never said I believed making money as an owner in the NFL was difficult. I said I believed owners of NFL franchises such as Huizenga probably didn't make as much money off of owning an NFL team as some might think. OK so in 2005 with the new TV deal (which wasn't in place when I originally read the article where I stated Huizenga sadi he didn't make much of a profit from owning the Dolphins and was happy in years he just broke even) it's obvious owners are making more revenue from the deal and if the franchise is operated correctly should stand to make a healthy profit. I stand corrected there.

Please also keep in mind at the the time I read this article this new TV deal was not in place and perhaps I, at the time was not that far off. Not making excuses but 5 years ago the salary cap had to be at least 20 mill less than it is now and therefore, revenue generated from the previous TV deal clearly wasn't as profitable for NFL franchises as it is now. While this new TV deal has clearly changed the financial landscape from what it was in previous years, another reason I felt some teams weren't making a lot of money was the fact that owners such as Bidwell in Arizona and Modell in Baltimore were bitching for years they couldn't turn a profit without greater revenue sharing. Why did the Browns leave Cleveland? I'd like to think if Modell was even making a penny a year profit there he would have kept the team in Cleveland. I also remember reading somewhere Modell claimed the last 2 years he had the Browns on Cleveland he lost over $50 million. Basically what I'm saying is at the time I remebered reading this article I'll still bet I wasn' t far off.

Merman said:
I am not having it anyway. I am using Forbes's figures. The figures are a combination of the team and stadium. Though the stadium probably is a lease deal a portion of the property and intangible taxes are probably paid and there are definitely interest payments paid whether for the franchise or the stadium. Both of these expenses are not shown. The corporate tax rate is 40.5%. Florida has a 5.5% corporate tax.

We also do not know if the Dolphins’ Training facility is part of the franchise with its related expenses for taxes, interest and depreciation missing.

The only thing we do know for sure is that Huizenga does not own Dolphins Stadium personally.
Huizenga Holdings, Inc. is simply the the DBA that he uses. He is Chairman of the board and the sole shareholder. So he does own Dolphins Stadium, personally and separate from the Dolphins. It is no LLC and definitely not an investment group as that quote makes it seem. Don't beleive me? Link:
http://securities.stanford.edu/1001/PUCK97/1001.htm
Huizenga has been an investor in several businesses and is the sole shareholder and Chairman of the Board of Huizenga Holdings, Inc. ("Huizenga Holdings").
Here it is more plainly from other reputable sources:
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/fla/ballpark/index.jsp
On March 7, 1990, H. Wayne Huizenga agreed to purchase 50 percent of Joe Robbie Stadium, enabling him to begin his pursuit of a Major League baseball franchise. On January 24, 1994, Huizenga acquired the remaining 50 percent of the stadium to give him 100% ownership.
http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/historicalhighlights/historicalhighlights9.asp
H. Wayne Huizenga's purchase of the Robbie Family's remaining 85% of the Miami Dolphins as well as their 50% share of the Joe Robbie Stadium is finalized. The closing leaves Huizenga with 100% ownership of both the Dolphins and Stadium.
As for the 5.5% Florida state corporate tax, Dolphins Stadium aka Huizenga gets a $60 million tax break every year for adapting Dolphins Stadium into a hybrid football/ baseball stadium in 1993 and for bringing baseball to Miami. I'm pretty sure that the state of Florida doesn't bother him for taxes. Link: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/baseball/11588146.htm
Huizenga's Dolphins Stadium continues to receive a $60 million tax rebate even though he no longer owns the team.

As for hehateme's last post, the Forbes articles that Merman posted had financial info from the 2001-2003 seasons. The TV deals they were referring to had been in place for atleast a few years already. They are not referring to the new deal, which does not take effect until next season.

Otherwise, I think its perfectly possible that 5 years ago certain teams had difficulty making profits. But its clear that its no longer the case. NFL owners, including Huizenga are making money.

Rrodr038 said:
Huizenga Holdings, Inc. is simply the the DBA that he uses. He is Chairman of the board and the sole shareholder. So he does own Dolphins Stadium, personally and separate from the Dolphins. It is no LLC and definitely not an investment group as that quote makes it seem. Don't beleive me? Link:
http://securities.stanford.edu/1001/PUCK97/1001.htm

Here it is more plainly from other reputable sources:
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/fla/ballpark/index.jsp

http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/historicalhighlights/historicalhighlights9.asp

Huizenga owns his holdings through a holding corporation, not personally in his name. Inc means incorporated. A lawsuit against Huizenga as Chairman of the board and a shareholder of Florida Panthers Holdings Inc (FPHI) when he owned the Panthers also reinforces the point. And just because lay publications say Huizenga owns something proves nothing. Closely held corporations have been around a lot longer than LLC.

Rrodr038 said:
As for the 5.5% Florida state corporate tax, Dolphins Stadium aka Huizenga gets a $60 million tax break every year for adapting Dolphins Stadium into a hybrid football/ baseball stadium in 1993 and for bringing baseball to Miami. I'm pretty sure that the state of Florida doesn't bother him for taxes. Link:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/baseball/11588146.htm

Read the article. The $60 million is a Sale Tax Rebate, a subsidy from the Sate of Florida. Florida Corporations have to file an income tax return and pay tax on taxable income.

so i am right.

that 60 million bucks is a 30 year subsidy. he gets 2 million bucks. it was for transforming JRS for the Marlins.

Back
Top Bottom