Ronnie in the Slot | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie in the Slot

South Florida

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Is Nick going to use Ronnie as the slot in a singleback like they did at Auburn?

What about as a fullback?

I think Ronnie would bust a nickleback in half.

I don't know about risking him with run-blocking, but if he's that much better at it than our fullbacks are, it could be worth it to try every now and then.

our offense won't utilize a fullback at all. so him playing fullback isn't of much interest to anyone here. He may play slot but i'd expect him to catch most his passes from out of the back field.

He'll probably play a little bit of everything, of course mostly RB. If Kay Jay turns out to be a great backup, we could see Ronnie in the slot more and more.

Saban4prez said:
our offense won't utilize a fullback at all. so him playing fullback isn't of much interest to anyone here. He may play slot but i'd expect him to catch most his passes from out of the back field.

Nuh uh. There isnt a whole hell of alot of teams in the league who do not use lead blockers at all. Maybe the Colts do, but their short yardage is pretty horrendous.

We will use some sort of lead blocker at some times, that is to be sure. Linehan hasnt used one in the past, but who is the say he will not now? Fit the scheme to the players, not the players to the scheme.

I cant imagine Ronnie Brown NOT playing WR. A RB splitting out from the backfield isnt exactly rare. According to news from rookie camps, he played H-Back, and Fullback too.

Disgustipate said:
Nuh uh. There isnt a whole hell of alot of teams in the league who do not use lead blockers at all. Maybe the Colts do, but their short yardage is pretty horrendous.

We will use some sort of lead blocker at some times, that is to be sure. Linehan hasnt used one in the past, but who is the say he will not now? Fit the scheme to the players, not the players to the scheme.

I cant imagine Ronnie Brown NOT playing WR. A RB splitting out from the backfield isnt exactly rare. According to news from rookie camps, he played H-Back, and Fullback too.
H back would use his array of skills nicely.

I really think rush blocking would be one of the last priorities Ronnie Brown wlill be needed for, for us. I don't see him being used as a FB unless Ricky comes back and we have a two-headed duo... that's all different story that probably won't happen. I think Ronnie will see a lot of time playing WR, he might be best suited in the slot if we don't end up getting anymore WR's like Boston... which would switch everything up and Chambers could very well end up in the Slot. I also think a big priority for Ronnie will be pass blocking which could really use and I think whenever he will be asked to do so, I have total confidence that he will be efficient and is a incredible versatile athelete.

We could very well have a two headed monster in the backfield even without Ricky Williams if you don't forget KJ Harris.

It could confuse the defense if we fake the handoff to Ronnie, toss it to KJ, and have them running full speed together toward the endzone.

That could work.

South Florida said:
We could very well have a two headed monster in the backfield even without Ricky Williams if you don't forget KJ Harris.

It could confuse the defense if we fake the handoff to Ronnie, toss it to KJ, and have them running full speed together toward the endzone.

That could work.

Lamar Gordon just gets no respect :shakeno:

Saban4prez said:

I have to ask.. What was the point of picking up the FB Evans??

Part of the reason we chose Ronnie was because he's the most complete back. We weren't looking for just a runner. He'll be utilized in any way possible and Saban is more than aware of the options that gives us.

I think we'll use a fullback since it certainly makes it easier for RBs to shed the first defenders. Plus, we signed a FB earlier in the offseason so unless Saban likes throwing money away, he's going to see some action. Minnesota wasn't so good with the run with Linehan and any success they had was due to their good O-Line. Ronnie could be more like a Brian Westbrook-type player, but that means he might not get too many rushing attempts. But to get more rushing yards, you need a good fullback like what Alexander, Lewis, and LT had.

fsu_nole4life said:
I have to ask.. What was the point of picking up the FB Evans??

you're guess is as good as mine. if you guys honestly believe that we'll use a fullback then ok, thats fine with me. I just know that Jimmy Kleinsasser is technically the vikings Fullback, and he never played much. Im going off what Linehans done before, not what i think he'll do.

Saban4prez said:
you're guess is as good as mine. if you guys honestly believe that we'll use a fullback then ok, thats fine with me. I just know that Jimmy Kleinsasser is technically the vikings Fullback, and he never played much. Im going off what Linehans done before, not what i think he'll do.

Kleinsasser never played much? What? Why did they franchise him, then?

Back
Top Bottom