Rosen: Post A Grade... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rosen: Post A Grade...

He’s trending upwards, for the first time since college I could see the brain and the feet working harmoniously together, he was anticipating the rush peripherally and navigating space to evade, kept his eyes downfield doing so, and showed a very important trait, which is to consciously run for yardage to convert, two first downs..his mechanics were good, no hitches and double clutches last nite..

He’s 22 and has been in 7 different offenses since UCLA, let’s give him the time he needs to be comfortable, he absolutely lost his confidence last year and he’s telling us he isn’t ready, let him find his rhythm and tempo, let him find the speed of the game and calibrate appropriately..

There’s gonna be another level of the speed come regular season, let him watch Fitz deal with it..

Leadership, he hasn’t shown that he’s ready to lead a team, understandably so, there is a lot on his plate and a lot of eyes watching, I’m sure he wants to master the playbook first, let’s let him do that, he knows he’s got work to do in the leadership Dept..some guys figure that out on different timelines..

I think Flores is doing an excellent job coaching this delicate situation..He’s gonna make Rosen earn this once and for all..and if he’s seeing weaknesses he’s gonna wait, he should wait, just because one shows more talent then the other doesn’t mean criticism shouldn’t be applied, you are trying to get the best out of each player..Rosen will tell us when he’s ready, just like he’s been telling us he isn’t.

Last edited:
C-

Game against the Falcons, Rosen stats got inflated with Williams making 4 sensational catches. Rosen made a nice throw on the one-handed sideline catch PW made.

Rosen threw an interception on a poor decision resulting in points against and made a poor decision throwing a pass that often gets picked on PW's first catch as he was falling.

Game against Tampa he had some nice throws and a few poor ones. Threw a pass well behind behind Gesicki on a wide open slant, underthrew Ford on 4th and goal at the 2, and was benefited by an easy dropped interception as well.

In Rosen defense PW dropped 3(?) passes against Tampa.

Against the Jags he played okay, breaking containment making positive yardage with his feet and made a beautiful throw rolling out after escaping pressure in the pocket.

However, when considering the competition at the time he was in the game he wasn't all that impressive. Some perspective, Fitz went 7-7, 93 yards, 1 TD to start the 3rd quarter once the Jags pulled starters.

If Rosen was playing against the the Jags 1st team defense the plays when he escaped the pocket would all be sacks. Not saying it would be his fault, just saying he probably would of made multiple trips to the tent.

He’s trending upwards, for the first time since college I could see the brain and the feet working harmoniously together, he was anticipating the rush peripherally and navigating space to evade, kept his eyes downfield doing so, and showed a very important trait, which is to consciously run for yardage to convert, two first downs..his mechanics were good, no hitches and double clutches last nite..

He’s 22 and has been in 7 different offenses since UCLA, let’s give him the time he needs to be comfortable, he absolutely lost his confidence last year and he’s telling us he isn’t ready, let him find his rhythm and tempo, let him find the speed of the game and calibrate appropriately..

There’s gonna be another level of the speed come regular season, let him watch Fitz deal with it..

Leadership, he hasn’t shown that he’s ready to lead a team, understandably so, there is a lot on his plate and a lot of eyes watching, I’m sure he wants to master the playbook first, let’s let him do that, he knows he’s got work to do in the leadership Dept..some guys figure that out on different timelines..

I think Flores is doing an excellent job coaching this delicate situation..He’s gonna make Rosen earn this once and for all..and if he’s seeing weaknesses he’s gonna wait, he should wait, just because one shows more talent then the other doesn’t mean criticism shouldn’t be applied, you are trying to get the best out of each player..Rosen will tell us when he’s ready, just like he said been telling us he isn’t.

Yes.

C-

Game against the Falcons, Rosen stats got inflated with Williams making 4 sensational catches. Rosen made a nice throw on the one-handed sideline catch PW made.

Rosen threw an interception on a poor decision resulting in points against and made a poor decision throwing a pass that often gets picked on PW's first catch as he was falling.

Game against Tampa he had some nice throws and a few poor ones. Threw a pass well behind behind Gesicki on a wide open slant, underthrew Ford on 4th and goal at the 2, and was benefited by an easy dropped interception as well.

In Rosen defense PW dropped 3(?) passes against Tampa.

Against the Jags he played okay, breaking containment making positive yardage with his feet and made a beautiful throw rolling out after escaping pressure in the pocket.

However, when considering the competition at the time he was in the game he wasn't all that impressive. Some perspective, Fitz went 7-7, 93 yards, 1 TD to start the 3rd quarter once the Jags pulled starters.

If Rosen was playing against the the Jags 1st team defense the plays when he escaped the pocket would all be sacks. Not saying it would be his fault, just saying he probably would of made multiple trips to the tent.

Man you're tough lol, but I do agree Rosen needs to be more careful with the football.

Flores was right in that he's got to make smarter decisions, that pick 6 was inexcusable and will literally kill this team in the regular season if it becomes a habit when he starts.

Got to protect the ball, most important job for a QB imo which is why I liked Tannehill who typically was very careful with the football.

It was an A+ in terms of manipulating the pocket, avoiding the pressure. That sequence of plays results in about 3 sacks from Tannehill. He's beginning to understand he's not back there to be a tackling dummy for a poor offensive line.

But what he doesn't completely understand yet is the offense and isn't seeing the entire field. Furthermore, some of the receivers aren't turning their heads around quick enough in their routes against soft zones which is causing him to feel like he needs to hold the ball a beat longer.
Yes, right now his vision is somewhat compartmentalized, But last nite there were some encouraging signs..

Vision of the entire field is so important, many physically talented qbs fail because of the inability to see the picture in HD..

I think this kid is doing things one thing at a time..understandably so..completely interested in his next steps.

somewhere between 83-87% :up:

.. and I know this is his second year, but if we had drafted him at 10 this year, most everyone would be very optimistic... Looks better than Darnold did thru exhibition and half the season!

Most of you guys must be grading on a serious homer curve.

He gets an A, or B as compared to what? Certainly not the league as a whole.

I like JR, and beleive he can be a good to very good QB, particularly in this offense, but handing out A, B grades for that is ludicrous.

It's not all on Josh, for sure, but it is what it is.
So what's wrong with a B? What did he do wrong that would deserve less?

I give him a solid A just for the fact of comparing what I was doing at 22 years old. When we say "this kid" he literally is a very young man. I think he has unlimited upside and coaching is going to make or break him.

Guys are forgetting he did pretty well despite a turnstile, swiss cheese O line in front of him.....who could excel with that trash performance up front?? So...if you're going to grade him, you have to factor in the lack of any hint of decent protection and that he was on the run most of the time. They even mentioned during the broadcast that it seemed the playcalls were to get the ball as fast as possible out of the QB's hand becasue of the breakdowns on the line.

I think he did well, better than expected (maybe a B grade but really hard to judge based on the issues)...and this is coming from a guy who was not a big Rosen fan.

So what's wrong with a B? What did he do wrong that would deserve less?

If we are only talking about "expectations", I suppose a B grade is plausible.

If you are talking about a grade based on his level compared to all the other QBs on training camp rosters, I doubt he is in the top 40 guys. Some of that is O-line play. Some of that is not.

I'm just saying for a guy to get an A or B grade, relative to the rest of the league, he should be solid "starter" quality. Is he that? At this point maybe, maybe not.

According to our HC, among others, he is "neck in neck", or behind Fitz. A guy that I would not consider a solid NFL starting caliber QB.

If we are only talking about "expectations", I suppose a B grade is plausible.

If you are talking about a grade based on his level compared to all the other QBs on training camp rosters, I doubt he is in the top 40 guys. Some of that is O-line play. Some of that is not.

I'm just saying for a guy to get an A or B grade, relative to the rest of the league, he should be solid "starter" quality. Is he that? At this point maybe, maybe not.

According to our HC, among others, he is "neck in neck", or behind Fitz. A guy that I would not consider a solid NFL starting caliber QB.

Oh, I thought we were grading last night's performance. My fault.

Well the original premise of the OP was overall preseason.

I will say that JR has made major strides over the last month, and is certainly trending up.
yeah that's what I mean. My original response to you asking what was wrong with a B, I was actually thinking we were just talking about last night. Not sure why.

But yeah for the overall preseason, I'm not sure what to give either. But agreed, trending upwards.

Here's what I liked about him last night. Pocket awareness - mobility and the ability to make the defender miss by stepping up while still keeping his eyes down field... and he made two excellent throws under pressure, on the run, where he squared his shoulders and instead of throwing to the underneath guy, he found the deeper route. Big plays come of these abilities.

Back
Top Bottom