Ross" "I Have No QB Plans. It Will Be Up To The New Coach." | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross" "I Have No QB Plans. It Will Be Up To The New Coach."

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

"After the Dolphins fired head coach Brian Flores on Monday, reports out of Miami were that Flores’ strained relationships with General Manager Chris Grier and quarterback Tua Tagovailoa contributed to dismissing him after back-to-back winning seasons.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said only that he didn’t think the team was “working well” in terms of collaboration and, taken with the other reports, Flores being out might suggest that Tagovailoa’s place is more secure. Ross did not give that kind of assurance, however. He didn’t rule out pursuit of Deshaun Watson, Tagovailoa’s return, or anything else ahead of the hiring of a new coach.

“I have no plans. It will be up to the head coach in terms of what he does with the quarterback,” Ross said, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. “Tua, I have a lot of confidence in Tua. It is really going to be dependent on who the next head coach is and the direction that he wants to take at that position.”

Better collaboration and communication with the next coach is clearly one goal, but the Dolphins will have to get the quarterback call right as well or plenty of people will wonder if the right decision was made after winning 19 games over the last two seasons."

Ross is just covering himself here. He's not going to say Tua is definitely our starter and expect to interview coaches with that stipulation.

I want Tua to stay but the new coach may want to go another direction.

Ross is just covering himself here. He's not going to say Tua is definitely our starter and expect to interview coaches with that stipulation.

If they can find an upgrade, I'm all for it.

As long as it's not a sexual predator.

Ross did a good job dodging the first part of the question whether he actually called Watson as reported or not.

I doubt the new coach replaces Tua on arrival, its basically a free year for the coach... A fail in the first season becomes "Ok I tried with your guy, now let me use those 2 1st round picks to go get mine." Fresh start. You might see some type of flyer go give Tua competition though, a bit like the Rosen move.

I watched Ross' PC on YouTube last night. I was surprised w/ how very bland and lowkey he was.

The lack of eye contact w/ the media was not encouraging.

If the reason was Flores dismissal was the strained relationship with Tua and Grier, and a lack of collaboration. I find Ross's answer a bit odd. He didn't say who plays qb would be determined by the collaboration of GM and Head coach. He just said the head coach will determine who the qb is. Makes me wonder if there is more going on, perhaps Grier having less power.

I doubt the new coach replaces Tua on arrival, its basically a free year for the coach... A fail in the first season becomes "Ok I tried with your guy, now let me use those 2 1st round picks to go get mine." Fresh start. You might see some type of flyer go give Tua competition though, a bit like the Rosen move.

Agree. And 2 1sts next year

If the reason was Flores dismissal was the strained relationship with Tua and Grier, and a lack of collaboration. I find Ross's answer a bit odd. He didn't say who plays qb would be determined by the collaboration of GM and Head coach. He just said the head coach will determine who the qb is. Makes me wonder if there is more going on, perhaps Grier having less power.
Or if he's just saying that to try and attract a good Head Coach to take the position.

Sounds like he is leaving it up to Grier. The next HC will be a Grier puppet.

No, Grier is a good guy who just does what his coach wants. He gets no credit nor blame. He is not in charge. The coach is in charge, he will decide everything.
But wait.
Grier was kept because he also did a good job improving the roster over the last three years. according to Ross.

Higher ups. They only get the credit and are blameless.

Back
Top Bottom