Ross on Ireland's future: "You take it one year at a time..." | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross on Ireland's future: "You take it one year at a time..."

With the exception of chasing a big name like Peyton Manning, I think Ross wants his football people to run the team. If he fires his main football guy, and the new football guy doesn't want Philbin, why would he fight to keep him?

He just did the same thing this past offseason, he hired a coach and insisted on keeping Ireland. He may not pull in a marquee name by insisting on Philbin, but perhaps that isn't the best direction for us given our past history with signing big front office names.

What's laughable is the idea that we're finding it "hard to grasp" the idea that a new General Manager often ends up wanting to hire his own coach. Keep insisting that we're not grasping such an elementary school idea if you like, but that's not the point. The point we've been making for quite some time is that usually doesn't apply in a situation where the owner only JUST hired the head coach last year. You insist on using Hue Jackson as a great example except Hue Jackson was already on the outs well before they hired Reggie McKenzie, and everyone around the Raiders knows that and accepts it as a fact. Hue Jackson was one of those coaches that didn't last more than a year because of his own ridiculous behavior, and it had nothing to do with a new GM.
Hue Jackson was just one of my examples, yet you seem stuck on that being the only one. Not sure why.

The point you keep swinging and missing on is that if the GM is in charge of the football operation, as Ireland is, switching him out could have a significant impact on everyone under him which includes the head coach. If you are hiring a GM and forcing a head coach on him, you are going to greatly limit the candidate pool. So you probably are not making a real great hire if he is just an owner yes man being told what to do. If the idea is to fire Ireland and get a better GM in place, you are going to give him the power to make decisions. If this new GM is not a Philbin fan and wants his own guy, they will make a change. Simple.

He just did the same thing this past offseason, he hired a coach and insisted on keeping Ireland. He may not pull in a marquee name by insisting on Philbin, but perhaps that isn't the best direction for us given our past history with signing big front office names.

It is different because Ireland is in charge of the football operations, and the Philbin hire was joint hire by Ross and Ireland. Philbin you could say technically works for Philbin. If you replace Ireland, you are replacing Philbin's boss. The new boss might not want Philbin around and might opt for HIS guy.

I don't think Ross is connecting Ireland to Philbin too much.

Just like he kept Ireland and fired Sparano, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he insisted on keeping Philbin and getting rid of Ireland. The new GM would have to agree to deal with Philbin for at least a season to evaluate Philbin and his staff.

It all depends on if the product on the field crashes and burns or if it just stays mediocre. Keep in mind, if it stays medicore this year (6-10, 7-9, 8-8), Ireland is safe. Only if the season turns into a 1-15 debacle will Ross even consider firing Ireland next season.

Listened to the press conference. Reporter led in with the perception around the league that Jeff Ireland is on the hot seat, asked how committed are you to him. Ross answered, "I'm committed to him. If I had any doubts about him he wouldn't be here." and left it at that, but reporter followed up with question "Is he in a situation where if the team doesn't make the playoffs or anything, he'd be in trouble?" To which Ross replied, "I mean, we take one year at a time, but he- I think we have a great team here and that's what I'm looking at." Didn't really seem very happy.
Thanks for looking that up. Why do you think Jackson changed the order of the quotes? To get us into the exact conversation we are in. You yourself said it in an earlier post that if he would have said it in the order which Volin reported it to be that it wouldn't have meant hardly anything. Semantics are a bitch and Jackson got us all.However now that we are on the topic. I don't think either Ireland or Philben will be fired. However if the **** hits the fan and somehow this team loses 4 or more games, Ireland could see himself on the outs. Especially with a schedule that as of now on paper looks favorable. If that happens there is probably a 50/50 chance Philben is retained. If he proves to be a competent HC he probably will be retained. If not I see no reason why the new GM wouldn't hesitate to let him go.

Hey now that the Browns might be sold and Holmgren will be canned we can hire him to fix this mess!

It is different because Ireland is in charge of the football operations, and the Philbin hire was joint hire by Ross and Ireland. Philbin you could say technically works for Philbin. If you replace Ireland, you are replacing Philbin's boss. The new boss might not want Philbin around and might opt for HIS guy.

Well we aren't talking about the same thing then. I'm saying Ross may very well tell whoever interviews for the job that Philbin will remain the HC and that's who that GM will be working with. My proof is his coach hiring process this past season. Stephen Ross is Joe Philbin's boss not Jeff Ireland. Whether Philbin answers to Ireland or not is up for debate, but by no means could Jeff Ireland hand Philbin a pink slip on his own.

Back
Top Bottom