Ross on Ireland's future: "You take it one year at a time..." | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross on Ireland's future: "You take it one year at a time..."

It is like when people thought Marshall was safe on the roster after Sparano was fired. A new coaching staff had a different view for the team and they shipped him out. The Raiders hired a new GM this year, and his first move was firing the head coach to bring in HIS guy. Even though Hue Jackson had only been the full time head coach one year and had a respectable 8-8 record for that franchise.

The Browns today are on the verge of being sold to a new owner. There is talk and reports that Holmgren will be relieved of his duties once the sale is final. People in charge will always want to surround themselves with THEIR people. Unless you pluck a yes man GM from the Packers or someone who has a prior relationship to Philbin, his job will be in jeopardy if Ireland is fired. The big name on the GM market next offseason will no doubt be Bill Polian, and I know some people on this very message board have said they would like him. Pretty sure Polian will want HIS guy as the head coach and would boot Philbin out the door without second guessing. You are kidding yourself if you don't think Philbin and Ireland are connected. They are.

Russ Ball was in GM conversation.

Ireland and Sparano were hired together. Worked together for 4 years. Ross fired Sparano, kept Ireland.
Ireland and Philbin work together for 1 year. Ireland here for 5 years. Suddenly Ireland fired=Philbin fired?

Ross had a personal hand in hiring the new head coach of the Dolphins. He choose Philbin. He choose Philbin over Ireland's reported favorite Mike McCoy. Is it possible that if this season goes to hell and back that Ross could pull the plug on the entire operation? Sure, its possible. But its more probable that Ross will keep his handpicked head coach and hire a GM willing to work with Philbin.

For the record, and this is for everyone else's benefit as I doubt Nublar will ever acknowledge this, but there are many sources in and around the Raiders that have reported that Hue Jackson was on the outs far before the new Raiders General Manager was hired. Hue Jackson's firing had little to do with the new General Manager up and deciding he wants his own coach and therefore having to convince everyone else to fire Hue. He was already on the way out.
His being on the way out was widely rumored.

It is like when people thought Marshall was safe on the roster after Sparano was fired. A new coaching staff had a different view for the team and they shipped him out. The Raiders hired a new GM this year, and his first move was firing the head coach to bring in HIS guy. Even though Hue Jackson had only been the full time head coach one year and had a respectable 8-8 record for that franchise.

The Browns today are on the verge of being sold to a new owner. There is talk and reports that Holmgren will be relieved of his duties once the sale is final. People in charge will always want to surround themselves with THEIR people. Unless you pluck a yes man GM from the Packers or someone who has a prior relationship to Philbin, his job will be in jeopardy if Ireland is fired. The big name on the GM market next offseason will no doubt be Bill Polian, and I know some people on this very message board have said they would like him. Pretty sure Polian will want HIS guy as the head coach and would boot Philbin out the door without second guessing. You are kidding yourself if you don't think Philbin and Ireland are connected. They are.

Caught the very end of this on Espn this well, they basically said Philbin is the most unlikely first year coach off the group. They were saying if the Dolphins struggle and Ross fires Ireland like he should have this year then our is a 99% chance a new GM wants his own guy and if you go GM shopping with the mindset the HC stays you handicap yourself.

For the record, and this is for everyone else's benefit as I doubt Nublar will ever acknowledge this, but there are many sources in and around the Raiders that have reported that Hue Jackson was on the outs far before the new Raiders General Manager was hired. Hue Jackson's firing had little to do with the new General Manager up and deciding he wants his own coach and therefore having to convince everyone else to fire Hue. He was already on the way out.

Hue Jackson tried to make a power grab. Even during the season, when he traded for Palmer, he was trying to take more power in that organization. He tried to struggle for control and lost. So he was fired.

Jackson went on a tirade, repeatedly speaking of how "pissed'' he was at his team for the loss, shirking any meaningful effort to take responsibility for the season-defining defeat, and basically throwing his defensive coaching staff under the bus in the process. Remarkably tone deaf when he needed an acute sense of his own vulnerability and lack of accountability, Jackson vowed to "take a stronger hand in this whole organization,'' to ensure that the same underachieving scenario never unfolded again for his Raiders, who started the year 7-4 but lost four of their final five games to record their ninth consecutive non-winning season.
Nice try, Hue. Instead of more authority, Jackson got shown the door. And that in and of itself is reason for hope in Oakland.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...0/hue.jackson.firing/index.html#ixzz21r2BKCOJ

I understand the point your making but all these examples are of guys who have had time to establish himself but have failed or are failing. The exception is Jackson. After Al Davis died he fell out of favor quickly and was on his way out the door no matter who the GM was.

Little different in this situation. From what we are seeing so far Philbin is on his way to being an excellent coach. Granted we have not seen him on the field but the way he handles himself, his staff, the team and most importantly the noticeable change in draft strategy, you cant help but like what you see. I don't see Philbin being tied to Ireland at all unless this season is a disaster. But it won't be.

that sounds to me like irelands on a thin rope but i'm sure he can bail himself out with ross by making everyone wait on any tannehill evaluation...hell he's making everyone wait on getting the damn kid in camp...

Whether your Raiders "sources" are accurate or not doesn't take away from the fact that when front offices typically change directions there is an impact felt throughout the entire organization. You clearly omitted the Holmgren part when you quoted me, oh well.

If the company I work for suddenly changed bosses, should I just assume my job is safe? Even if I am the head of a department and for this example say it is my first year? Or do you think it is possible that the new boss might want to hire his own guys to run things below him, you know someone he might be more comfortable with? Come on ckparrothead, you cannot sit there with a straight face and tell me that if Ireland is fired that Philbin will definitely be roaming the sidelines in 2013. That is far from guaranteed. I don't care that Ireland survived when Sparano got fired, that was a unique circumstance because it can be argued that for the first three offseasons Parcells was running the show and that Ireland's first offseason was really in 2011. While there is a lot of grey area in that argument it is obviously one of the main reasons Ireland is still here. Sparano was the head coach from day one starting in 2008, Ireland was not the "true" GM with 100% control until September of 2010. Even though his contract might have said differently, Parcells was always running the show.

miami's only gonna fire philbin after one year if he proves incompetent...wins and losses be damned...miami also would not have a hard time finding a gm willing to work with philbin...what they do have a hard time doing is finding head coaches willing to work with ireland

miami's only gonna fire philbin after one year if he proves incompetent...wins and losses be damned...miami also would not have a hard time finding a gm willing to work with philbin...what they do have a hard time doing is finding head coaches willing to work with ireland

I don't want to see Philbin leave, hell I want Ireland to stay also because perhaps that shows this team is progressing on the right track and the organization has stability. Having yet another major organization change is not helping anyone next offseason. However, if Ross fires Ireland that probably means Philbin had a losing season of some sort. Even if Ross intended to keep Philbin, if you are limiting yourself to finding a GM to come work with Philbin, you will decrease the GM pool. You may not get the guy you want if you force a head coach on him. Let's not forget that Ireland is really the one in charge of the football department, Philbin technically works for him. Either you find Philbin a new boss, or you decide to elevate Philbin's status to being the boss of the football department. Either way, both situations could be problematic. Don't assume it is simple to just fire Ireland and replace him and keep everything the same. Everyone's job is on the line if the head man gets tossed out.

ross is gonna look bad around the league yet again if philbin doesn't go belly up as a head coach this year ross fires ireland and he then gives philbin the axe...i just can't see ross being that short sighted...i hope he learned from the harbaugh courtship and sparano handling...i never thought that would happen either...

the next guy that needs to go or should be held accountable in this group is ireland...well maybe mike sherman if his o is garbage...but ireland should not escape anything anymore...you can have solid not special drafts all you want if tanny blows irelands head should roll...

ross is gonna look bad around the league yet again if philbin doesn't go belly up as a head coach this year ross fires ireland and he then gives philbin the axe...i just can't see ross being that short sighted...i hope he learned from the harbaugh courtship and sparano handling...i never thought that would happen either...

With the exception of chasing a big name like Peyton Manning, I think Ross wants his football people to run the team. If he fires his main football guy, and the new football guy doesn't want Philbin, why would he fight to keep him?

if ross keeps hiring and firing head coaches or does some shady stuff under the table like he did with the harbaugh courtship he's just gonna continue to turn away potential future high end candidates...philbin now should get a fair shake...one years not gonna do it...we hope he doesn't tell us he's not the guy in one year at least...the league pays attention to stuff like this...if ross wants to change his perception he better get this right...

again i don't see philbin being a hard sell to a gm at this point...but ireland thats proved already to be a tough sell to hc candidates

OT: This could turn out to be the best debate we have had in some time. Hopefully it is only a debate and not a discussion we are having in 6 months.

In the unlikely scenario that we went 0-16 or 1-15 what do you do if you are Ross, get rid of Philbin and Ireland? Not sure myself, hopefully he doesn't have the decision to make.
For the record Ross going after Harbaugh was probably the right thing to do, getting rid of Sparano first should have been done though. I've said it a few times but going after Harbaugh makes me think Ireland knew Sparano was useless and had Sparano imposed on him as his coach by Parcells, but I've no evidence of any of it. Should have just got rid of Sparano and had a normal recruiting process for a new head coach.

What we have is a "common sense" disagreement. One person clearly believes it "common sense" that if Jeff Ireland is fired then Joe Philbin is also out, while the rest of everyone else (i.e. the 'commons') think it "common sense" that Philbin will continue on since he was only just hired this year...provided he doesn't totally sh-t the bed and/or alienate everyone in the organization (things that seem hard to imagine based on what we've seen so far) like Cam Cameron and Hue Jackson did.

Back
Top Bottom