Ross on Ireland's future: "You take it one year at a time..." | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross on Ireland's future: "You take it one year at a time..."

I expect 3 more seasons of Ireland possibly 2 if we continue the path of the Titanic. Ross obviously bought off on keeping him and changing both the offense and the defense so one would hope he knows that takes time. Like it or not Jeffy gets a pss this year.

What if we finish with 6 or 7 wins? What does Ross do with Ireland? You can only win 6 or 7 games for so long.

Miami could go 6-10 again this year and Ireland and Philbin will both be back. I'll bet on it. Its going to take multiple seasons of losing for him to fire Ireland, especially after he just drafted a QB at #8 overall who will not even play until 2013. And after multiple losing seasons, I'm pretty sure Philbin goes too. Its easy to replace a coach and keep the GM, but rarely do teams keep the coach and change GMs.

People forget that Ross has spent all offseason defending Ireland, and chose Ireland over Jeff Fisher just a few months ago - thats how much confience he has in him. You think hes going to renig on that commitment after 1 year? Just because you dont like Ireland doesnt mean he will be fired after this year.

In the unlikely scenario that we went 0-16 or 1-15 what do you do if you are Ross, get rid of Philbin and Ireland? Not sure myself, hopefully he doesn't have the decision to make.
For the record Ross going after Harbaugh was probably the right thing to do, getting rid of Sparano first should have been done though. I've said it a few times but going after Harbaugh makes me think Ireland knew Sparano was useless and had Sparano imposed on him as his coach by Parcells, but I've no evidence of any of it. Should have just got rid of Sparano and had a normal recruiting process for a new head coach.

hell yeah we should have gone after harbaugh...but we should have axed sparano first...and if not we should have NEVER EVER brought him back after it became public knowledge that we were searching...it just undermines sparanos authority with the players so much when you do something like that...

i still to this day cannot believe a smart businessman like ross could ever ever think that what he was doing was a good idea...it's just baffling

What if we finish with 6 or 7 wins? What does Ross do with Ireland? You can only win 6 or 7 games for so long.

I think he keeps him. There is new coaching this year and transitioning into a new system, along with a #8 overall pick who wont be playing for at least a year. I think Ireland gets a pass this year after Ross has defended him all summer long.

imo as long as tanny sits over there holding a damn clipboard ireland will not be held accountable...so its probably in irelands best interest at least to wait as long as he can before judgement day...

I think what Ross said was cliche and he was trying to avoid his past foot in mouth moments. I don't think too much weight should be put into it.
Also, a new GM would most likely want a new head coach IMO. That's why I think Ireland/Philbin will get fired at the same time a few years down the road if it's truly in the cards.

What we have is a "common sense" disagreement. One person clearly believes it "common sense" that if Jeff Ireland is fired then Joe Philbin is also out, while the rest of everyone else (i.e. the 'commons') think it "common sense" that Philbin will continue on since he was only just hired this year...provided he doesn't totally sh-t the bed and/or alienate everyone in the organization (things that seem hard to imagine based on what we've seen so far) like Cam Cameron and Hue Jackson did.
Now you are twisting my words. Never said Philbin is out, as in definitely out. I said he is likely connected to Ireland and that his job is definitely in jeopardy if Ireland gets fired. All I am saying is that if Ireland gets fired, Philbin will be on shaky ground with no guarantees that he will be back in 2013. You seem to be under the impression that unless Philbin really screws up that there is no way he gets replaced if a new GM is hired. If that is the case, I have a bridge to sell you.

What is ironic and funny is that I just listened to an interview Mike Florio did today on WQAM and he basically echoed what I said. As an out of state fan, I can't listen to these interviews live, but I usually listen to a couple a day on their website. They were talking about how Ireland is tied to Tannehill and Florio said word for word "If you are changing the GM, your changing the coach too". Not sure why this concept is hard for people to grasp.

I can’t see Ross alienating potential coaching candidates by firing a first year coach who just started the process of a substantial overhaul of the team. Even a new GM would probably be willing to give Philin a little more time to mold the team in his vision. Even if we have a 4 or 5 win season, I can’t see Philbin or Ireland getting canned. Next year I think will make or break Ireland.

Listened to the press conference. Reporter led in with the perception around the league that Jeff Ireland is on the hot seat, asked how committed are you to him. Ross answered, "I'm committed to him. If I had any doubts about him he wouldn't be here." and left it at that, but reporter followed up with question "Is he in a situation where if the team doesn't make the playoffs or anything, he'd be in trouble?" To which Ross replied, "I mean, we take one year at a time, but he- I think we have a great team here and that's what I'm looking at." Didn't really seem very happy.

Listened to the press conference. Reporter led in with the perception around the league that Jeff Ireland is on the hot seat, asked how committed are you to him. Ross answered, "I'm committed to him. If I had any doubts about him he wouldn't be here." and left it at that, but reporter followed up with question "Is he in a situation where if the team doesn't make the playoffs or anything, he'd be in trouble?" To which Ross replied, "I mean, we take one year at a time, but he- I think we have a great team here and that's what I'm looking at." Didn't really seem very happy.

I don't blame him. That's one of those media self serving, poop stirring questions. If Miami doesn't do well of course Ireland will be re-evaluated. Reminds me of the recent question to Rex Ryan re: Mark Sanchez/TIm Tebow- does Tebow have any chance of starting? Of course, if Sanchez at some point stinks up the joint. But if Ryan answers it that way, then the press has the story angle that they want. And again there wasn't a happy camper at the interview, this time Rex Ryan instead of Stephen Ross. No surprise to me, they're being asked bogus, loaded questions.

Now you are twisting my words. Never said Philbin is out, as in definitely out. I said he is likely connected to Ireland and that his job is definitely in jeopardy if Ireland gets fired. All I am saying is that if Ireland gets fired, Philbin will be on shaky ground with no guarantees that he will be back in 2013. You seem to be under the impression that unless Philbin really screws up that there is no way he gets replaced if a new GM is hired. If that is the case, I have a bridge to sell you.

What is ironic and funny is that I just listened to an interview Mike Florio did today on WQAM and he basically echoed what I said. As an out of state fan, I can't listen to these interviews live, but I usually listen to a couple a day on their website. They were talking about how Ireland is tied to Tannehill and Florio said word for word "If you are changing the GM, your changing the coach too". Not sure why this concept is hard for people to grasp.
Florio is just voicing his opinion, he is hardly the know all of football. It's not as if you don't bang on him every time he writes something negative about the Dolphins. Surprised you use him as a reference.

What's laughable is the idea that we're finding it "hard to grasp" the idea that a new General Manager often ends up wanting to hire his own coach. Keep insisting that we're not grasping such an elementary school idea if you like, but that's not the point. The point we've been making for quite some time is that usually doesn't apply in a situation where the owner only JUST hired the head coach last year. You insist on using Hue Jackson as a great example except Hue Jackson was already on the outs well before they hired Reggie McKenzie, and everyone around the Raiders knows that and accepts it as a fact. Hue Jackson was one of those coaches that didn't last more than a year because of his own ridiculous behavior, and it had nothing to do with a new GM.

Florio is just voicing his opinion, he is hardly the know all of football. It's not as if you don't bang on him every time he writes something negative about the Dolphins. Surprised you use him as a reference.

I used him as a reference because it was funny that as soon as I am making this argument he basically says the same thing. Seemed like perfect timing. Doesn't mean I always agree with him.

I expect 3 more seasons of Ireland possibly 2 if we continue the path of the Titanic. Ross obviously bought off on keeping him and changing both the offense and the defense so one would hope he knows that takes time. Like it or not Jeffy gets a pss this year.

Agreed. That and by not playing RT, he puts off the realization of just how bad the pick was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom