Round 2 will be HUGE for us...so who do we grab | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Round 2 will be HUGE for us...so who do we grab

mandal24

Genesis
Reaction score
Jake Long- CHECK...Oline is 4 out of 5 positions set for the next 8 years...Amazing

Our biggest needs I think everyone can agree on are...

On Offense, in order of need-
Offensive Guard-Quite simply, we dont have anyone outside of Drew Mormino
Tight End- David Martin is our #1 and he's as average as it gets, Justin Peele, a fan favorite, is a solid #2
Wide Reciever-Wilford is a solid pickup but hes a #2 and Ginn is still learning...Hagan drops way too many passes and outside of those guys, theres nothing
Offensive Tackle-Besides Carey and Long, we have no depth
Quarterback-Baker and Bramlett aren't making the team. Fins are drafting 3rd stringer/project guy.

On Defense, in order of need-
Cornerback-Outside of Will Allen and maybe Michael Lehan, there's nothing
Inside LB-We need to find ZTs replacement.
Outside LB-JT and Porter are getting old. We need depth for now. Curious to see what Quentin Moses can do.
Defensive Tackle-Outside of the aging Jason Ferguson, there's not much talent. Randy Starks might be a better DE, and Paul Solai is a work in progress but definitely has the size.
Defensive End- We have depth but no top level talent here. Holliday is underrated but getting old, Matt Roth is overrated and will eventually need to be replaced. Excited to see Rodrique Wright, and even Randy Starks to a lesser degree.
Safety-So many guys, but we could still use a ball hawking guy. But with EIGHT, yes I said EIGHT safeties on the roster, we should hopefully find two guys to play the safety positions. (J Allen and Y Bell? But an open competition with all these guys is the perfect thing) Renanldo Hill is consistent. Keith Davis is a liability in coverage but the hardest hitting safety on the roster. Interesting to see Travis Daniels at a change of position here.

So taking all this into consideration, my 2nd round picks are basically BPA in the draft (Staying away from Aqib Talib, tested positive for marijuana three times, I dont think hes a bad guy for that but its a huge risk)...
2A...Brandon Flowers/Antoine Cason/Curtis Lofton- One of these guys should be gone in the 1st round, hopefully not both of them..Deep CB draft that slowly falls off in the mid 2nd round so its now or never to find a starter. And Lofton's winning of Big 12 Defensive player of the year says it all for his case.
2B...Cliff Avril/Martellus Bennett/Mario Manningham(I know he failed drug test but I dont think it was multiple times, and this far down in the draft, hes worth the risk, it'd be a nice steal)

I DONT like the Chad Henne pick in the 2nd round... Solid college starter with a lot of experience but too inconsistent with his accuracy. And he had a lot of talent around him to flourish. With an Oline that can now hold a pure "pocket passer", why not go after a guy like Erik Ainge in the later rounds.. Big, tall QB with strong arm. Played at Tenn. coached by the same guy that coached Peyton Manning. and played against the best competition in college. Worst case, would make a good backup. Also, Kevin O'Connell from San Diego State is another big, tall QB who could be a sleeper. Doesn't hurt that he also runs a 4.6/40 at 6'5, 225 lb.

That's a pretty spot-on assessment.

This pick is going to be interesting.

Jake Long- CHECK...Oline is 4 out of 5 positions set for the next 8 years...Amazing

Our biggest needs I think everyone can agree on are...

On Offense, in order of need-
Offensive Guard-Quite simply, we dont have anyone outside of Drew Mormino
Tight End- David Martin is our #1 and he's as average as it gets, Justin Peele, a fan favorite, is a solid #2
Wide Reciever-Wilford is a solid pickup but hes a #2 and Ginn is still learning...Hagan drops way too many passes and outside of those guys, theres nothing
Offensive Tackle-Besides Carey and Long, we have no depth
Quarterback-Baker and Bramlett aren't making the team. Fins are drafting 3rd stringer/project guy. Everything I'm hearing,

On Defense, in order of need-
Cornerback-Outside of Will Allen and maybe Michael Lehan, there's nothing
Inside LB-We need to find ZTs replacement.
Outside LB-JT and Porter are getting old. We need depth for now. Curious to see what Quentin Moses can do.
Defensive Tackle-Outside of the aging Jason Ferguson, there's not much talent. Randy Starks might be a better DE, and Paul Solai is a work in progress but definitely has the size.
Defensive End- We have depth but no top level talent here. Holliday is underrated but getting old, Matt Roth is overrated and will eventually need to be replaced. Excited to see Rodrique Wright, and even Randy Starks to a lesser degree.
Safety-So many guys, but we could still use a ball hawking guy. But with EIGHT, yes I said EIGHT safeties on the roster, we should hopefully find two guys to play the safety positions. (J Allen and Y Bell? But an open competition with all these guys is the perfect thing) Renanldo Hill is consistent. Keith Davis is a liability in coverage but the hardest hitting safety on the roster. Interesting to see Travis Daniels at a change of position here.

So taking all this into consideration, my 2nd round picks are basically BPA in the draft (Staying away from Aqib Talib, tested positive for marijuana three times, I dont think hes a bad guy for that but its a huge risk)...
2A...Brandon Flowers/Antoine Cason- One of these guys should be gone in the 1st round, hopefully not both of them..Deep CB draft that slowly falls off in the mid 2nd round so its now or never to find a starter.
2B...Cliff Avril/Martellus Bennett/Mario Manningham(I know he failed drug test but I dont think it was multiple times, and this far down in the draft, hes worth the risk, it'd be a nice steal)

I DONT like the Chad Henne pick in the 2nd round... Solid college starter with a lot of experience but too inconsistent with his accuracy. And he had a lot of talent around him to flourish. With an Oline that can now hold a pure "pocket passer", why not go after a guy like Erik Ainge in the later rounds.. Big, tall QB with strong arm. Played at Tenn. coached by the same guy that coached Peyton Manning. and played against the best competition in college. Worst case, would make a good backup. (Check his last drive at Senior Bowl)

wow,I agree with a lot of what you said on this post and the needs for the draft as well....I like Cason but at 32 I'd take James Hardy if he's there...we need playmakers on offence....imagine Wilford,Ginn and Hardy....all you need after that is a TE and a guard and we're set for a while and Beck will be fine.....I like Avril and he could be the pick at 32 also.....my dream draft would include trading JT for a 2nd plus a 4 or 5....that'd give us 3 picks in round 2 and we could take Hardy,Avril plus a corner....in round 3 we could get a TE and in round 4 a guard.....also agree with drafting a QB like Ainge in the late rounds.

Ozzy rules!!

wow,I agree with a lot of what you said on this post and the needs for the draft as well....I like Cason but at 32 I'd take James Hardy if he's there...we need playmakers on offence....imagine Wilford,Ginn and Hardy....all you need after that is a TE and a guard and we're set for a while and Beck will be fine.....I like Avril and he could be the pick at 32 also.....my dream draft would include trading JT for a 2nd plus a 4 or 5....that'd give us 3 picks in round 2 and we could take Hardy,Avril plus a corner....in round 3 we could get a TE and in round 4 a guard.....also agree with drafting a QB like Ainge in the late rounds.

Ozzy rules!!

i couldnt ever agree on anything more than everything you just said. that would be the dream scenario...

If Connor is there with the #32 pick I want to snatch him up.

James Hardy or Dan Connor at #32 please.

James Hardy is going to be a #1 WR in this league and would be a great complement to Ginn.

Dan Connor is a can't miss LB imo.

I think best CB available at 2a. With 2b, maybe another OL (maybe Chilo Rachal or best remaining OT prospect).

For some reason, I find myself really hoping that we go after TE Brad Cottam with pick 3 or 4. At 6'8", 270 lbs, our O-line would just be ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom