RT still out there.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RT still out there....

The Goat

Escape Goat
Club Member
Reaction score
Aside from Tretter, who's still coveted, there are still a few RT out there...and it's nearly July.

Still available:

Daryl Williams (played RG and RT for Buffalo last year)
Eric Fisher (has played RT)
Bobby Massie

At some point, these guys are going to have to settle for what they can get, and the list of suitors is growing smaller. Fisher in particular interests me; he was coming off an Achilles tear last year, and I wonder what he'll do after another year removed from the injury.

Be shocked if they were finished with the OL.
Rather see a upgrade at center over upgraded RT. Want Connor at LG not center and a strong middle line...
The staff seems to smart to let it slide considering the OL could ruin the season.

Gee, Daryl Williams a tackle that can play G makes unbelievable sense wish we could find one ( maybe one could drop right in our lap.... hint hint ). A RT and G if needed but we all know OL men are never injured (ya right)

Feel like Reason, in giving them the benefit of doubt til proven otherwise but it is taking an effort to believe our guys can handle it. And at minimum why take the risk ?

Hoping that when the pads are on in the NFL there will be some definite upgrades to pounce on and a bit surprised at those opportunities already passed, considering our cap opportunities... JMO and hopes....

What makes you think this? Not being argumentative, just curious.
Mainly from Grier’s comments about how the “young guys have to play better” but also they could had these guys months ago and haven’t shown interest. if they wanted these guys to be part of the team, they would have had them here for minicamp to learn with everyone

Melvin Ingram was a bit of a late signing. This may indicate that they are still open to signing someone but I do think they would wait until the first bit of camp to see if they can improve still in any area based on what is still out there and what price it may cost. My hunch like Travis just said is that they are done with signings.

I guess the only thing would be if an injury happens in an area they feel they lack depth.

IMO there's no rush to sign players till right before TC or when TC begins.
I'm sure the FO wants to try out the current group of guys before signing a FA. Especially with the new offseason rules, you can't tell much without pads during OTAs and MC especially for the positions that rely on physical play.

Because we would’ve signed someone by now if we had veteran aspirations
I would tend to believe that actual achievements of rookies and additional players of all teams would need to have be seen in actual hitting and game like situations which have not accured yet for proper evaluations. Then after that complete evaluation changes can or should be see much clearer. In other words like a cheap rookie proving he's capable would give that team possibly relief and more cap space by releasing or trading that good vet who has a higher cost.

Because we would’ve signed someone by now if we had veteran aspirations

Except for the fact that a lot of these older remaining players are used to making big salaries.

You're never in a hurry to go from making $10M to making $3M, like you would be to go from $3M to $10M.

We have addressed the OL, we haven't solved it though and we are probably still far enough away from solving it that potential solutions need to stay on our radar.

These guys will all sign with someone right before or right after TC begins. If I am a 34 year old FA offensive lineman, with $40M in the bank, I might wait til August to answer the phone.

Nonetheless, I think there is a potential RT who isn't available yet but might be during the season, of higher quality than the players remaining in FA. Jack Conklin is heading into his final year of a 3 year, $42M deal he signed with the Browns in 2020. He's only got $8M in salary this year so he's acquirable. I am guessing Conklin signed with Cleveland because it's not that far from his childhood home in Michigan, so maybe South Florida isn't on his radar? Well not yet, wait til he sees Jacoby Brissett in training camp. He's had some injuries so his new deal would be less than market value. Does Conklin want to re-sign with Cleveland given their current situation? Maybe he does, maybe a lot of those players are going to wait it out for a chance to play with DW. Cough cough, you listening Nick Chubb, cough cough.

Taylor Decker, the LT from the Lions. He started at RT early on at Ohio State. Sewell will eventually be the LT and they have no franchise QB so keeping an aging OT isn't prudent. He's battled injuries too so he could be had.

Another pipe dream would be if the Eagles tanked and wanted to move on from Lane Johnson. Very unlikely as their division is soft, they have a decent roster, he makes a ton of money and absolutely loves being an Eagle and living in the area. But ya, he would be a stellar add for one season (or a career, thanks Dion Jordan).

Last edited:
I think the team wants to get a look at the young guys before looking to replace them.

They also may be waiting for veteran OL to get cut in August.

I dont understand why we're not bringing in a Tretter instead of moving a life long LG we just paid solid money to
It's got to be either his knees or a lack of interest in coming to Miami. Other than that I just don't get it. Having a veteran presence in the middle of the line would be huge, imo. Despite whatever problems he has with his knees he's been playing at a very high level in recent years. And having a left-side of the line be Armstead-William-Tretter would be very stout. It makes a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom