RT still out there.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RT still out there....

My guess is that they evaluate on traits. That’s how they’ve described how they select RBs. It’s not about whether a guy played G or T. With Williams he was asked about playing C almost immediately after signing. This wasn’t a case where they came up with the idea later. They got him b/c his traits fit what they want in a C. IMO it’s the proper way to evaluate players.

Trait evaluation is why I believe that Eich should be a G. I stated all along that it was a mistake to use Eich at T. He struggled against speed in college and in the NFL they almost all have speed. It’s why he was literally one of the worst Ts in the league last year. I don’t believe that coaching can overcome his physical limitations at T.

My guess is that they evaluate on traits. That’s how they’ve described how they select RBs. It’s not about whether a guy played G or T. With Williams he was asked about playing C almost immediately after signing. This wasn’t a case where they came up with the idea later. They got him b/c his traits fit what they want in a C. IMO it’s the proper way to evaluate players.

Trait evaluation is why I believe that Eich should be a G. I stated all along that it was a mistake to use Eich at T. He struggled against speed in college and in the NFL they almost all have speed. It’s why he was literally one of the worst Ts in the league last year. I don’t believe that coaching can overcome his physical limitations at T.

I think the decision has been made to go with what we have and the only way I see a signing is due to injury
Agree. The coaches have had the time to look at plenty of tape from last year and they have seen the players in recent workouts. I believe they will go with the offensive linemen now on the roster this season and add more offensive linemen in the 2023 draft if they aren’t satisfied with one or more of the starters after the 2022 season.

Melvin Ingram was a bit of a late signing. This may indicate that they are still open to signing someone but I do think they would wait until the first bit of camp to see if they can improve still in any area based on what is still out there and what price it may cost. My hunch like Travis just said is that they are done with signings.

I guess the only thing would be if an injury happens in an area they feel they lack depth.
I think they are done with any starting quality signings. Bargain basement, and final cuts around the league is another matter.

Except for the fact that a lot of these older remaining players are used to making big salaries.

You're never in a hurry to go from making $10M to making $3M, like you would be to go from $3M to $10M.

We have addressed the OL, we haven't solved it though and we are probably still far enough away from solving it that potential solutions need to stay on our radar.

These guys will all sign with someone right before or right after TC begins. If I am a 34 year old FA offensive lineman, with $40M in the bank, I might wait til August to answer the phone.

Nonetheless, I think there is a potential RT who isn't available yet but might be during the season, of higher quality than the players remaining in FA. Jack Conklin is heading into his final year of a 3 year, $42M deal he signed with the Browns in 2020. He's only got $8M in salary this year so he's acquirable. I am guessing Conklin signed with Cleveland because it's not that far from his childhood home in Michigan, so maybe South Florida isn't on his radar? Well not yet, wait til he sees Jacoby Brissett in training camp. He's had some injuries so his new deal would be less than market value. Does Conklin want to re-sign with Cleveland given their current situation? Maybe he does, maybe a lot of those players are going to wait it out for a chance to play with DW. Cough cough, you listening Nick Chubb, cough cough.

Taylor Decker, the LT from the Lions. He started at RT early on at Ohio State. Sewell will eventually be the LT and they have no franchise QB so keeping an aging OT isn't prudent. He's battled injuries too so he could be had.

Another pipe dream would be if the Eagles tanked and wanted to move on from Lane Johnson. Very unlikely as their division is soft, they have a decent roster, he makes a ton of money and absolutely loves being an Eagle and living in the area. But ya, he would be a stellar add for one season (or a career, thanks Dion Jordan).
Ghost, you always have the best trade/cut scenarios worked up... Makes me hopeful lol, I've been seeing that Decker hope for awhile now that would be awesome. Maybe Conklin too

But I really do think our coaching staff wants to see how the young guys play before we sign another "starter", gotta see how these investments are panning out with better coaching. Dont want AJ and LE to be wasted high picks.

I kind of agree that as far as O-line starters, they may no longer have any plans with anyone else.

The Line is a crucial part of the offense working, so if they had anyone else in mind, they would have brought him in by now to get more comfortable with all the other starters around him.

Also moving Williams from Guard to Center is an awful huge move for a team that needs continuity of the line going forward, and considering Tretter was the biggest possible signing, that is a huge hint right there they're done bringing in anyone else to compete for a starting job.

Other linemen could be brought it, but unless it's because of an injury, or a young superstar that can be gotten for cheap, it will not be for a starter position.

I actually don't get what you're saying. Every evaluation is based on the traits of a player. A trait is just a quality pertaining to an individual,, what else would you ever be evaluating except their traits?

Ghost, you always have the best trade/cut scenarios worked up... Makes me hopeful lol, I've been seeing that Decker hope for awhile now that would be awesome. Maybe Conklin too

But I really do think our coaching staff wants to see how the young guys play before we sign another "starter", gotta see how these investments are panning out with better coaching. Dont want AJ and LE to be wasted high picks.

I typically only have 5 thoughts on my mind throughout the day.

1. My families well being.
2. My financial well being.
3. The Miami Dolphins.
4. Work.
5. Ass, boobs, pink….. I’m married so I can only think about those things.

There’s definitely enough talent in the (OL) room to be average so that will be a monumental step. If the coaching can improve them that much more, great.

Austin Jackson is still just 22, so his book hasn’t been written yet. We’ll see.

Last edited:
I actually don't get what you're saying. Every evaluation is based on the traits of a player. A trait is just a quality pertaining to an individual,, what else would you ever be evaluating except their traits?
Too often I see people argue that player x played some position in college or elsewhere so that must be his best position. IMO Eich is an example of that. Trait-wise he doesn’t fit at T in the NFL, yet I’ve seen many evals here and elsewhere (and by last years horrid OL coaching staff) projecting him to T, primarily b/c he played there in college. That’s not an evaluation based on traits.

Oh well, possibly their actual play in game time situations. you know seeing with your own eyes truth or the previous miss evaluation of that so called trait Still not seen in the NFL. This might even show even the casual fan a more realialist representation of the ability of a players pre NFL traits.

Ya we got supposedly great OL coaches, lets hope we don't actually need a Houdini ....

Even great Coaches need to see a player in real action to even form an opinion and IMO guys in shorts especially linemen doesn't come close to cutting it.

I see adequate time left to upgrade which I think and hope are in their plans, for its still our weakest area and we have the needed assets...

I've been saying this for months now. If we don't sign another Tackle we're playing Russian roulette with our season.

At this point I don't care who it is. I just want a veteran Tackle who can at minimum be a quality back up. We have ZERO depth at Tackle and our two starters are an oft injured, aging probowler and an; up to this point, giant bust.

I feel 100% we'll bring in one or two more vets for the OL. Would be silly not to. Even if we feel good about our talent on the OL, backups are thin talent wise. Injuries haopen.

Back
Top Bottom