Running and defense wins championships | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

I would say it is far from an uneducated opinion. No offense eric, but J-off s by far one of the more knowledgeable people when discussing football, not just on this forum.
[/QUOTE]
maybe uneducated was a bit much. But I stand by the fact that his opinion carries as much weight as anyone else here. Unless he is some secret NFL head coach.

I would say it is far from an uneducated opinion. No offense eric, but J-off s by far one of the more knowledgeable people when discussing football, not just on this forum.
maybe uneducated was a bit much. But I stand by the fact that his opinion carries as much weight as anyone else here. Unless he is some secret NFL head coach.
[/QUOTE]

He's Brian Flores.

Why are you pretending that Tannehill wasn't the most efficient QB in the league this season? He averaged 2.2 TD passes per game (which would have been good for 2nd in the league if he played all 16 games) and 9.6 YPA.
He had a great year. No two ways about it. His stat line in the playoffs is misleading. He’s hit the big throws when they take their shots. His legs are a factor. I always said he was smart and protected the ball well. He’s in an ideal situation and he IS a factor in this run no matter how good Henry is.

One reason why I wouldn't want to build my team around a running game is everything has to be perfect to win. If you get behind the sticks with a middling qb you're probably going to fail more times than not.

God forbid you lose your mojo and the running game regresses then you're stuck with a meh qb. To many variables have to be perfect for it to work for multiple seasons.
The Tony sparano days taught me this style was never sustainable and runs it's course. Running is important, but it requires strategy and exposing certain mismatches.

For every titans team there is the 2019 Ravens where this one bad game derailed a great season.

Having a defense that can also play at an elite level for a long period is also tough to do l. The pats held the titans to 14 points it because the offense didn't make one play it was a waste.

Derrick Henry is a special player who is running for an absurd amount of yards. Now he is approaching 4000 carries for his career and will burn out on that pace.

anyone acting like you wouldn't want Mahomes, Wilson, etc. because you prefer a great d and running game is fooling themselves. We've seen them take those run first teams and break them with a couple of big throws

So, Baltimore had the top running game and the 4th rated defense in the NFL. They set a record for rushing during the regular season. So if running and defense win championships...then why is Baltimore not in the AFC championship?

Well, they got behind...it is simple as that. They did not have the QB or the structure to play from behind. It would have happened to Tennessee as well if Baltimore got a 14 point lead. These mid-level qbs begin to press and when that happens they make mistakes...
LOL mid-level QB....

He's Brian Flores.
[/QUOTE]

You need to keep that in VIP brah

So, Baltimore had the top running game and the 4th rated defense in the NFL. They set a record for rushing during the regular season. So if running and defense win championships...then why is Baltimore not in the AFC championship?

Well, they got behind...it is simple as that. They did not have the QB or the structure to play from behind. It would have happened to Tennessee as well if Baltimore got a 14 point lead. These mid-level qbs begin to press and when that happens they make mistakes...

Wrong. Ravens have a limited QB and won despite him being inaccurate and weak armed because he was hidden behind a dominate rushing game, which he was apart of.

the titans have an elite armed QB. tannehill makes those sideline throws Jackson quacked up in his sleep b

Wrong. Ravens have a limited QB and won despite him being inaccurate and weak armed because he was hidden behind a dominate rushing game, which he was apart of.

the titans have an elite armed QB. tannehill makes those sideline throws Jackson quacked up in his sleep b
I was surprised at how poorly he threw those out routes.

Ravens do have a limited qb. That’s why they stayed in pistol the entire game and when they did have to come out of it the pocket passer was exposed.

let it be a lesson to all those pimping duel threat QBs who cant make secondary reads/throws from the pocket.

that **** catches up with you. And hell it caught up last night to a qb that actually has plus instincts and a run game that ran for 3k plus yards. Imagine if he didn’t?

Last edited:
The Tony sparano days taught me this style was never sustainable and runs it's course. Running is important, but it requires strategy and exposing certain mismatches.

For every titans team there is the 2019 Ravens where this one bad game derailed a great season.

Having a defense that can also play at an elite level for a long period is also tough to do l. The pats held the titans to 14 points it because the offense didn't make one play it was a waste.

Derrick Henry is a special player who is running for an absurd amount of yards. Now he is approaching 4000 carries for his career and will burn out on that pace.

anyone acting like you wouldn't want Mahomes, Wilson, etc. because you prefer a great d and running game is fooling themselves. We've seen them take those run first teams and break them with a couple of big throws

Wilson wins on running game and defense. They consistently run top 5 and pass bottom 5 in attempts EVERY year of his career minus one season. Wilson throws an elite deep ball. I’d take every other QB still left in the playoffs over him now that Jackson is out, Mahomes Rodgers Watson tannehill crapalo in that order.

The dolphins teams of the 2000s had NO quarterback. Fiedler was garbage and despite his minimal role, was the king of the pick 6. He was trash. Tannehill has the arm to make all the throws. He was on pace to throw for 4,000 yards, 35 TD and only 9 ints with a 70% completion percentage. What “game manager” puts up those numbers? It’s going to get better the longer he stays in one system too.

I don't know what the count was in the box, but in the game thread, i predicted that's what Baltimore should do. Stack the box with as much guys as possible and force Tannehill to win and be the difference maker.
Now with that said, I have a hard time believing Baltimore didn't do that originally.

Another difference is Baltimore seemed to play single high, i believe it was Earl Thomas, which made the P.A. stuff a lot easier to read for Tannehill.
Notice that wasn't the same for Tannehill vs. NE and whatever they were doing in the secondary.

All that being said D.Henry is a very unique RB. Some think you can just stick any RB back there with that OL and duplicate his success. All they'd have to do is watch what happens when his back-up comes in, D.Lewis, to know it's not even remotely the same.

D.Henry's size, power, suprisingly quick feet and agility, coupled with vision and burst is some rare rare stuff.
He is a special back- but I wonder if Ravens backed off some some after that quick TD.

There’s another qb I’m thinking about here with regards to similar skill set although a better passer. Still struggles with secondary reads. But lacks the instincts that Jackson has. Pistol and zone read ask in college. His name is Justin Herbert.

I trust him more as a pocket passer but he lacks the instincts side of things.

probably best to just stay away unless it was a college coaching limitation more than a qb one.

Back
Top Bottom