Running QB's on the decline | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running QB's on the decline

shellgh0st said:
In 9 games this season McNabb threw 40 passes a game and ran it 2.7 times a game. Wow, that totally looks like a running QB to me.

Last year, in 15 games McNabb threw it 31 times a game and ran it 2.73 times a game.

If you think that is a running QB you just dont know football.

Your stats are not accurate.

Definition of running does not fit his style of play.

However, because he is a running QB, and because they coach him to throw more than run, they cannot progress or win the SB.

Vick won't get their because A. He can't throw, and B. They coach him to throw.

McNab will not return to SB, Vick wont ever get there, Culpepper may if he goes to another team, Plummer might go, Brees might go, Favre has gone and won.

Point is...running QB's can't win SB's.

phinfreak said:
Wrong...

BTW...Manning couldn't beat NE in the playoffs but what type of QB won that game? Running or pocket passer? Point made.

Rothlesberger is as much a running QB as McNab is a pocket passer.

It's one thing to avoid a blitz, another to have the instinct and tendency to tuck and run.

Rothlesberger is as much as a running QB as McNabb is a running QB.

If you look at the stat from McNabb's last two full season and Ben's first two season the runs are practically identical.

phinfreak said:

However, because he is a running QB, and because they coach him to throw more than run, they cannot progress or win the SB.

McNab will not return to SB, Vick wont ever get there, Culpepper may if he goes to another team, Plummer might go, Brees might go, Favre has gone and won.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133361 those are accurate stats.

They don't coach him to hold onto the ball, he has chosen to do so. The coach even said he would like McNabb to run more when its there.

phinfreak said:

Tell that to Elway and Steve Young.

shellgh0st said:
in the two super bowl wins, elway ran a total of 8 times for 19 yards. in young's super bowl victory, he ran for 49 yards on 5 carries. i'm sure his 6 touchdown passes had more to do with the victory

elways only had 94 yards rushing total in 1998, and young had 290 yards in '94, which was significantly lower than the previous seasons

they were running QBs at one point, but not when they won the super bowls

shellgh0st said:

look at when they won their Super Bowls. Elway ran only when he was rolling out ans no one got open.

Young still ran, but he did set a record as far as QB rating goes.

kastofsna120 said:
in the two super bowl wins, elway ran a total of 8 times for 19 yards. in young's super bowl victory, he ran for 49 yards on 5 carries. i'm sure his 6 touchdown passes had more to do with the victory

elways only had 94 yards rushing total in 1998, and young had 290 yards in '94, which was significantly lower than the previous seasons

they were running QBs at one point, but not when they won the super bowls

That wasn't his point.

However, their ability to tuck it and run HAS to be game planned for.

Their rushing numbers were probably lower because they were on better teams and didn't have to carry the extra load.

ChambersWI said:
look at when they won their Super Bowls. Elway ran only when he was rolling out ans no one got open.

Young still ran, but he did set a record as far as QB rating goes.

That has nothing to do with his point that 'running QBs' cant win superbowls.

Both Elway and Young could be called running QBs.

shellgh0st said:
That wasn't his point.

However, their ability to tuck it and run HAS to be game planned for.

Their rushing numbers were probably lower because they were on better teams and didn't have to carry the extra load.
i'm sure their ability to throw 400 yards a game easily is a bigger deal to the defense. it's nice to have the running ability, but a "running QB" is a QB who runs before he passes, i.e. vick, young, cunningham

kastofsna120 said:
i'm sure their ability to throw 400 yards a game easily is a bigger deal to the defense. it's nice to have the running ability, but a "running QB" is a QB who runs before he passes, i.e. vick, young, cunningham

I can't think of one starting quarterback that had more runs than passes.

kastofsna120 said:

You define a running QB differently then the person I was responding to. He has McNabb as a running QB, so I feel I can justify the comparison of S. Young and Elway as running QBs if McNabb is a running QB.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I can't think of one starting quarterback that had more runs than passes.

the guys he mentioned are also guys that are more dangerous running than they are passing.

We can go on with all this talk forever, but the bottomline is that the best QB's were, are, and will always be pocket guys, the rest are just guys that will come and go, the more they scramble the faster they will go. I think in ten years from now will see another vick coming along doing fancy stuff, and then and only then we will remeber guys like vick. You want to be succesfull and last in this league, you have to throw the ball, PERIOD.

Back
Top Bottom