Russell Wilson traded to the Broncos | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russell Wilson traded to the Broncos

So is Eli Manning and his .500 regular season win percentage. At least he came up big in the playoffs, Russ not so much. My mother could’ve been the QB for their SB team, their defense devoured a healthy Peyton Manning. Richard Sherman is right, Russ ain’t all that.
If Eli makes the HOF, it will be because of his name and nothing else. I take nothing away from his team winning 2 SB’s but those were team wins and not because he played great in those 2 games.
His team was only 500 in the regular season over his 16 years in the league and in those 16 years, they only had a winning record 7 years.

That is NOT a HOF career to me but since he played in New York and his name is Manning, he will probably be a first ballot HOF inductee while a player like Zach Thomas keeps getting past over year after year. Ridiculous.

They gave up 4 picks that, odds are, would not amount to anything special. The Broncos obviously thought they had a team that was good enough to compete for a title now, other than at the QB position. They realized that if they drafted and developed a QB, it most likely would be at least 2 more years before they could compete with the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, and probably Chargers and they obviously didn't want their window of opportunity to close anymore than it had to.

Great move by them, don't get caught up in the draft capital. The Rams just showed how overrated that is. That division is scary good and the Broncos are legit Superbowl contenders now.

If I were the Packers I'd be gauging Seattle's interest in Jordan Love right now.
What are the odd's that Wilson will continue to maintain his dwindling performances? Broncos are desperate...thank god it wasn't us this time.

Russell Wilson is still a good quarterback and he’s going to a team run by an offensive minded head coach who might be able to get more out of him than Seattle’s coaching staff managed to in recent seasons. He’s got a good supporting cast and the Broncos defense is strong. With a good draft and free agency there’s no reason why this team can’t compete for their division and the Super Bowl. However, I still see the Chiefs winning their division and the other teams competing for the wild card spot.

What are the odd's that Wilson will continue to maintain his dwindling performances? Broncos are desperate...thank god it wasn't us this time.
I think the odds are good that he will play better with a better OL. I wouldn't classify the Broncos as "desperate", they just see a window of being an SB Contender and are going for it. The loss of 2-1s and 2-2's isn't as much as some make it out to be. They had an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder from the Von Miller trade as well.

I think ANY team without a franchise QB should and would be willing to give up 2-1s and 2-2s to get one. It's a small price to pay.

I think the odds are good that he will play better with a better OL. I wouldn't classify the Broncos as "desperate", they just see a window of being an SB Contender and are going for it. The loss of 2-1s and 2-2's isn't as much as some make it out to be. They had an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder from the Von Miller trade as well.

I think ANY team without a franchise QB should and would be willing to give up 2-1s and 2-2s to get one. It's a small price to pay.
I can see that point. I just don't think the Broncos are "just a QB" away. And when a team believes that and gets it wrong...it sets you back for a bit. A GM needs a realistic view of his roster.

Yeah, the Rams nailed the same sort of move grabbing Stafford, but they were consistently dominant with Goff and obviously a QB away. So at that point it makes sense.

Or maybe I'm just jealous 🤷? Ha

Seattle set a precedent with Wilson: Build quickly around a young talented QB before you have to pay him. Now many teams are following the "Seattle Method". That's what the Dolphins are trying to do now, while Tua is cheap; and the Bengals too. But then Seattle had to pay Wilson and couldn't afford to pay the rest of the team. The 'Hawks will start over building a team that just needs a young star QB. It's good timing for them because the NFC West is brutal right now. Meanwhile...

The Buccaneeers/Rams both succeeded at inserting a veteran QB whom they had to pay but won a Superbowl. We'll see how this strategy holds up when they start losing key FA's, but as long as they are winning, the FA's may stay around. Denver is famous for importing veteran QB's.

This trade makes perfect sense for both sides. Tough for the Broncos that the rest of the AFC West is also strong, but at least Russell Wilson is used to that.

The West is the Best...

RW

Seattle set a precedent with Wilson: Build quickly around a young talented QB before you have to pay him. Now many teams are following the "Seattle Method". That's what the Dolphins are trying to do now, while Tua is cheap; and the Bengals too. But then Seattle had to pay Wilson and couldn't afford to pay the rest of the team. The 'Hawks will start over building a team that just needs a young star QB. It's good timing for them because the NFC West is brutal right now. Meanwhile...

The Buccaneeers/Rams both succeeded at inserting a veteran QB whom they had to pay but won a Superbowl. We'll see how this strategy holds up when they start losing key FA's, but as long as they are winning, the FA's may stay around. Denver is famous for importing veteran QB's.

This trade makes perfect sense for both sides. Tough for the Broncos that the rest of the AFC West is also strong, but at least Russell Wilson is used to that.

The West is the Best...

RW
They didn’t set a precedent with Wilson. They just got lucky with Wilson. If they were as smart as you think they were, they wouldn’t have waited until the third round to draft him.

They obviously didn’t expect him to come in and be their starter immediately. Being a third round pick instead of a first round pick allowed the Seahawks to pay him far less than a first round pick would have earned earlier in his career.

It was the dominant Seahawks defense that was the reason they were so good early in Wilson’s career. If the Seahawks set such a precedent, they should have traded Wilson once his rookie contract ended and instead paid their top defensive players instead.

Like the Patriots when they drafted Brady in the sixth round. The Seahawks just got lucky no team drafted Wilson before the third round and both Wilson and Brady ended up being a lot better than either team expected them to be. Because if the Seahawks actually thought Wilson was going to turn into the QB he turned into, they certainly wouldn’t have waited until the 3rd round to draft him.

They didn’t set a precedent with Wilson. They just got lucky with Wilson. If they were as smart as you think they were, they wouldn’t have waited until the third round to draft him.

They obviously didn’t expect him to come in and be their starter immediately. Being a third round pick instead of a first round pick allowed the Seahawks to pay him far less than a first round pick would have earned earlier in his career.

It was the dominant Seahawks defense that was the reason they were so good early in Wilson’s career. If the Seahawks set such a precedent, they should have traded Wilson once his rookie contract ended and instead paid their top defensive players instead.

Like the Patriots when they drafted Brady in the sixth round. The Seahawks just got lucky no team drafted Wilson before the third round and both Wilson and Brady ended up being a lot better than either team expected them to be. Because if the Seahawks actually thought Wilson was going to turn into the QB he turned into, they certainly wouldn’t have waited until the 3rd round to draft him.
I agree @1972forever, they did get lucky with Wilson. I didn't mean to imply that they were that much smarter than everyone else. But nonetheless, they started a precedent of teams building around a cheap young QB, because it worked and other teams (including the Dolphins) have appeared to follow it. Cincinnati seems to have succeeded as well. Also, the evolution towards athletic QBs aside, teams are trying to get young QBs on the field much sooner than in the old days. I heard Pat Kirwan discussing the "Seattle Model" on his SiriusXM show.

RW

You've got to give some credit to the coaches in these situations. Bellichek was the only one who took a chance on Brady, carried 4 QB's his rookie year to keep him, let him be the backup over a veteran in year 2, and continued to start him over the franchise player even after that player got healthy. That wasn't just "luck" that was some fortitude. The Seahawks just spent 19.5 million signing Matt Flynn to be their starter and also had an incumbent in Tavaris Jackson. It took a heck of a lot of nerve and out of the box thinking to start a rookie over those two, especially one that had what was up till then considered deal-breaking height in a QB prospect.

9/10 teams, or more, don't make the moves that Carroll and Bellichek made, because they weren't the "safe" route.

That whole thing about a player would have been drafted higher if the team knew a player was good is crap. Professionals are drafting player in a range that they think commensurate with draft expectations, and they often like guys drafted in the mid rounds more than their first rounders but they know they can get those players later but will lose a chance on the guys in the first round if they don't grab it. Seattle thought Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson were all good prospects. They drafted one on the first round, one in the second, one in the third. They may have really liked Russell Wilson but why draft him earlier. They would have missed out on a chance at a player like Bobby Wagner nearly as important.

Back
Top Bottom