Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami | Page 39 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami

Kinda related, but I've been mulling over this since he sign. Apologies if anyone else has already brought this up but I wonder if the NFL have told the dolphins to "at least show as if you are trying" by signing a vet with starting experience rather than just rolling with the two we had under contract plus a late round draft pick. I'm sure the NFL aren't too keen having a situation where it is clear that one team is deliberately losing games, even before the season starts.

Or.... and hear me out....

Maybe they don't want year 1 to be a COMPLETE disaster and would like to have a veteran around to be able to properly evaluate or young guys. With Falk or Rudock we could never evaluate the young offensive players that will be on the roster.

This is a great signing fundamentally. Starter or not he will be a great presence in the locker room and help keep the young guys focused. A rookie QB should appreciate such a sharp guy there in the room with him.

If any other bad listless team signed Fitzpatrick would anybody not be thinking "hey, bad gonna bad." Nobody thinks or cares about the Redskins but if they signed Fitzpatrick to be their starter what would be your thoughts? Exactly. You wouldn't care to think about it.

Also, whats the shelf life of previous coaches that signed Fitzpatrick?

The Fitzpatrick signing is pretty simple, you can't simply tank a full season and throw a guy like Ruddock out there all season and expect the franchise to respond positively. That's not how you build a winner. Fitzpatrick is likable, respected by his teammates and a veteran presence.

If we really wanted to truly tank the season (talking 0-2 wins) Bortles would've been the best move. But really, I think that would've hurt the culture. There has to be some legitimacy to the plan entering the season. At the end of the day if Flores can't win more than 4 games, even with a bad roster, he probably isn't the answer.

Another thing lost on this whole tanking thing, tanking in the sense of winning the Tua sweepstakes is having a plan with only one outcome seldom works. Tua can go back to school, Tua can get injured, or you can win 3 games instead of 2 and pick 2nd. Then what? Wasted a year of development, haven't started building a culture based around any sort of positive progress and you're looking at your second choice you could've lined yourself up for winning 5 games and building some semblance of an organization structure.

I'm all for this retool. Think it's the way you build a team for sustained success and stockpiling as many assets and being bad for a year is the best approach. But there's a balance between a full-blown tank and wasting the year, and I think bringing a guy like Fitzpatrick has a positive influence on that, even if we look a bit better in the W/L column come season's end.

Very possible or the Dolphins are at least trying to make it look good before they get called in to the office with the principal ......

Why should it matter. The league can’t prove anything. The league sat quietly by as the Colts trotted out Curtis Painter every week, with no effort to bring in a competent veteran.
The Phins coaches and FO have the right to start ANY QB on their roster.The league would lose in court if they tried to take away a draft pick.

Kinda related, but I've been mulling over this since he sign. Apologies if anyone else has already brought this up but I wonder if the NFL have told the dolphins to "at least show as if you are trying" by signing a vet with starting experience rather than just rolling with the two we had under contract plus a late round draft pick. I'm sure the NFL aren't too keen having a situation where it is clear that one team is deliberately losing games, even before the season starts.

There’s no way the league has contacted the Dolphins or any team about their QB situation.

As if we’re some historically bad franchise.

It’s a useless thought. God have mercy on the soul of the individual who contacted the Miami Dolphins to convey that message, only to have me answer that call.

Goddell would quit if I owned the Dolphins.

Last edited:
Fine with me that Fitz was signed. A good stopgap until we draft our QB and he's as good, if not better than Tannehill.

Lots of really good posts up there but a whole lotta we haven’t put ourselves in a position to tank properly.

What is it with this tank (doesn’t exist) obsession?

Insert any QB you’d like as our starter, the game plan is going to be win. How is that tanking?

Field a lot of young, cheap players and the game plan is going to be win. How is that tanking?

We’re r.e.b.u.i.l.d.i.n.g. and most likely to suffer many loses. That’s not tanking.

Something just came to me. What if we get a superstar and 3 solid draft picks none of them being a QB that contribute greatly to getting 7 or 8 wins? Can’t believe I’m going to ask this but are we then suppose to be upset that we drafted too much talent to properly tank?

It’s a stupid question but worth asking to the tankers. We get an Ed Oliver in here that just rips the league apart, a tackle that legitimizes the Oline, a corner that has an X type season, then what?

We draft winners and the Tua dream is over. Are we now suppose to be upset over a stellar draft? Should we have drafted to tank?

Tanking does not exist. Please move on already.

Why should it matter. The league can’t prove anything. The league sat quietly by as the Colts trotted out Curtis Painter every week, with no effort to bring in a competent veteran.
The Phins coaches and FO have the right to start ANY QB on their roster.The league would lose in court if they tried to take away a draft pick.

I really hear what you're saying.

But, the NFL is responsible for making sure a competitive product is on the field.

I'm sure If the 2019 Dolphins looked like football follies the NFL wouldn't be happy.

I really hear what you're saying.

But, the NFL is responsible for making sure a competitive product is on the field.

I'm sure If the 2019 Dolphins looked like football follies the NFL wouldn't be happy.
Explain the Cleveland Browns from 2002 - 2017?

The nfl is not going to interfere, anything short of cheating.

He's the best vet QB we could have signed for that minute of a contract. We paid nearly the same amount of money for just one year of Jake Cutler. I'm fine if Fitz was promised this years starting job. That means we aren't trading up for a QB in this years draft (I don't want us to waste that draft capital), and if a viable QB option does drop to 13 it would be a guy that should sit for a year anyway. We need guys like him in the locker room to make sure the kids we will be bringing in are all on the right track.

Means nothing.

“You are our starting qb”

Until you arent

Could be week 6 could be coming out of camp could be anything

I'm all for this retool. Think it's the way you build a team for sustained success and stockpiling as many assets and being bad for a year is the best approach. But there's a balance between a full-blown tank and wasting the year, and I think bringing a guy like Fitzpatrick has a positive influence on that, even if we look a bit better in the W/L column come season's end.
Why are you a better team in 2020 coming off a 5-11 season and taking Herbert compared to 2-14 and taking Tua, especially when those 3 extra wins may come from just starting Fitzpatrick over Falk with no other discernible differences?

I haven't seen a clear answer on this except for buzzwords like "culture" which are make believe.

Would’ve rather have given a young QB the opportunity, no matter how slight the chance, to grow. We know what Fitz is.

If we’re most likely to struggle anyway, struggle with possible growth.

What excites me about Fitz is the prospect of the knowledge he can/will impart to Murray. :chuckle:

Back
Top Bottom