Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami

Yeah there could be other bridge QBs out there, but which ones offer a better option that Fitzpatrick for price and the ability to offer experience and relative stability so that the FO and coaches can focus on other areas? if your issue is that you'd rather see Mike Glennon or Trevor Siemian at QB then yeah fine, but that's an argument over nothing really.

If you're suggesting that we should just start Ruddock or Falk, same applies as above - the new FO and coaching team don't need a ****show at QB this year.
I couldn't agree more.

It's hard to answer that without knowing what your alternative suggestions are.

If you're suggesting that we should have kept Tannehill for another year, then Fitzpatrick is cheaper and also keeping Tannehill around would likely have continued to cause a distraction regarding his performance and whether he stays beyond the season. Neither the new FO, new coaching team, or young squad probably need that distraction so it's a convenient time to cut him loose and clear the financial obligations ready for the 2020 FA push.

If you're suggesting that we should have signed a different bridge QB, then who? Fitzpatrick has the experience and leadership to fill that role. Tyrod Taylor was also an option, after that the other two being mentioned are the second coming of Ryan Leaf and and a guy who has flamed out with three of the ****tiest franchises in the NFL. There needs to be some consistency at QB as the new FO and new coaching team need to assess key offensive players (Parker, Drake, Gesicki) and they aren't going to do that with ****ty QB play. Also new staff and young players need some stability, the distraction of a ****show at QB is likely to cause more issues in with an inexperienced staff and team, and it's a distraction they don't need. Yeah there could be other bridge QBs out there, but which ones offer a better option that Fitzpatrick for price and the ability to offer experience and relative stability so that the FO and coaches can focus on other areas? if your issue is that you'd rather see Mike Glennon or Trevor Siemian at QB then yeah fine, but that's an argument over nothing really.

If you're suggesting that we should just start Ruddock or Falk, same applies as above - the new FO and coaching team don't need a ****show at QB this year. What's the worst that can happen? Well quite a lot, a dysfunctional offense means that yet again we'll get to an offseason scratching our heads about DeVante Parker, we'll have Kenyan Drake entering FA potentially on the back of two seasons where he hasn't been pushed or able to show his worth, and still not knowing if Mike Gesicki is a bust or the next Aaron Hernandez (on the field). I'd imagine these are more important than figuring out if Luke Falk can be a legit starting QB, which they can probably still get a handle on anyway as the chances of Fitzpatrick starting all 16 games is pretty slim. And again, no matter how much people say that 2019 is a 'free hit', when the losses start piling up and players aren't getting the ball the **** starts to unravel pretty swiftly. QB competency is required.

Finally, if you're suggesting that we should have gone out for a 'proper' FA starting QB (Foles, or made a decent play for Bridgewater) then that comes with a long-term financial commitment that doesn't fit in with the plan for 2020.
What I'm saying is very simple. It's not about this year. I wanted Miami to tear it apart and strip it down and build through the draft. I didn't want Miami to spend any significant money in free agency. I want them to find a qb in the draft. I don't believe it is a good qb class this year so I would prefer to see the team build assets for next draft when the qb class looks much stronger. If for some reason the Dolphins do pick a qb in this year's draft that they believe they could build around, and he needed to sit behind a veteran then they could sign such a guy after the draft. Fitzpatrick does nothing for you if your goal is to draft a qb next season. I don't need a guy like Fitzpatrick to evaluate my players. The coaches see these guys practice everyday and if they are worth their salt they should be able to tell who fits and who can play and who can't play,

What I'm saying is very simple. It's not about this year. I wanted Miami to tear it apart and strip it down and build through the draft. I didn't want Miami to spend any significant money in free agency. I want them to find a qb in the draft. I don't believe it is a good qb class this year so I would prefer to see the team build assets for next draft when the qb class looks much stronger. If for some reason the Dolphins do pick a qb in this year's draft that they believe they could build around, and he needed to sit behind a veteran then they could sign such a guy after the draft. Fitzpatrick does nothing for you if your goal is to draft a qb next season. I don't need a guy like Fitzpatrick to evaluate my players. The coaches see these guys practice everyday and if they are worth their salt they should be able to tell who fits and who can play and who can't play,
You're still not saying who you want to see instead.

Also they're doing or planning to do everything you want - tearing it down, building through the draft, not splurging in FA and taking a QB next year.

Last edited:
...The coaches see these guys practice everyday and if they are worth their salt they should be able to tell who fits and who can play and who can't play,

There's about 800 things wrong with that premise, so I won't even go there...

Let's just say I'd prefer us go into the 4th quarter each week down 27-17 rather than 27-3, so both our players and coaches can get legit crunchtime experience.

Maybe they want a smart veteran qb to learn offense, so he can help teach the rookie they draft.

Maybe they want a smart veteran qb to learn offense, so he can help teach the rookie they draft.

Makes sense to me, gotta have at least someone that's been around the block at the player level to help the guy.

Friends Fitz is an upgrade over (the unmentionable) at 21 million less.
Fitz can complete the odd 20 yard pass.

Some more Fitz vs tannehill stats.

Tannehill has thrown 1257 passes and been sacked 96 times while the score was tied or he was leading and threw 26 interceptions.
1.92% int per dropback

Fitzpatrick has thrown 1752 passes and been sacked 102 while score tied/ahead. He threw 31 interceptions.
1.67% int per dropback.

Pretty funny that tannehill was a worse game manager.

It is really, REALLY hard for teams to climb back out of "worst in the league" holes. Plan seems clear to me. Fins don't want to kill their team and set themselves back years. You have to be able to keep some type of hunger and drive for success going within your locker room. Fitz can keep that going. They also aren't stupid in thinking they can compete anytime soon. So you pickup a QB to keep the team afloat and functioning, you cut unnecessary salaries and older players, let young guys get more time as you prepare to build in the near future, and you prepare to either draft a QB in 2019 to groom behind Fitz, or you are prepared to spend significant draft capital to move up for QB in 2020.

It's a balance of not creating decades worth of Cleveland in Miami and also trimming fat that isn't realistic with the current state of the team.

This upcoming draft will tell the tale.

It is really, REALLY hard for teams to climb back out of "worst in the league" holes. Plan seems clear to me. Fins don't want to kill their team and set themselves back years. You have to be able to keep some type of hunger and drive for success going within your locker room. Fitz can keep that going. They also aren't stupid in thinking they can compete anytime soon. So you pickup a QB to keep the team afloat and functioning, you cut unnecessary salaries and older players, let young guys get more time as you prepare to build in the near future, and you prepare to either draft a QB in 2019 to groom behind Fitz, or you are prepared to spend significant draft capital to move up for QB in 2020.

It's a balance of not creating decades worth of Cleveland in Miami and also trimming fat that isn't realistic with the current state of the team.

This upcoming draft will tell the tale.
This is pure hyperbole. You're talking about the league where just about every season a team goes from last in the division to first, ya? Cleveland was Cleveland not because they all of a sudden had a bad record and THAT'S what held them back for so long. Cleveland was Cleveland because they continually pulled the Dolphins half-measure strategy and drafted QBs lower than they should have and they all turned out to be busts.

It took them ONE season of having a GM who actually had a clue to draft Baker and now they're better than us. That's it. One year and that's the Browns. Do you have any other examples of teams who have had trouble climbing back out of "worst in the league"? I mean you don't because there isn't one, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

This is pure hyperbole. You're talking about the league where just about every season a team goes from last in the division to first, ya? Cleveland was Cleveland not because they all of a sudden had a bad record and THAT'S what held them back for so long. Cleveland was Cleveland because they continually pulled the Dolphins half-measure strategy and drafted QBs lower than they should have and they all turned out to be busts.

It took them ONE season of having a GM who actually had a clue to draft Baker and now they're better than us. That's it. One year and that's the Browns. Do you have any other examples of teams who have had trouble climbing back out of "worst in the league"? I mean you don't because there isn't one, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

ONE year and they are better than us. True.

You're asking for example of teams being terrible and bottom of the barrel, and having trouble climbing back out of that hole? And you're saying there are no examples of that? Okay...

From 93 to 99 the Lions make the playoffs 5 out of 7 seasons. In 2001 they spiral. No worries, they're been consistent in the playoffs for awhile. They have up and down years but they bounce back, right? And no worries, they have the 3rd pick of the NFL draft and can take a QB high!

2001: 2-14 (They draft 3rd and take Joey Harrington QB)
2002: 3-13
2003: 5-11
2004: 6-10
2005: 5-11
2006: 3-13
2007: 7-9
2008: 0-16 (They draft Matthew Stafford QB #1)
2009: 2-14
2010: 6-10
2011: 10-6 (Back to the playoffs)

Or, let's talk Browns. In 1994 they go 11-5 and lose Divisional Playoffs. Within 2 years they finish 2-14 and draft #1. No worries, high draft pick QB! Can climb right back out of the hole, right?

1999: 2-14 (They draft Tim Couch QB #1)
2000: 3-13
2001: 7-9
2002: 9-7 (Make playoffs!)
2004: 4-12
2005: 6-10
2006: 4-12
2007: 10-6
2008: 4-12
2009: 5-11
2010: 5-11
2011: 4-12
2012: 5-11
2013: 4-12
2014: 7-9
2015: 3-13
2016: 1-15
2017: 0-16 (Draft Baker Mayfield QB #1)
2018: 7-8-1

We can keep going. What about the Rams? They are hot. They ever struggled climbing out? 1999 they won the Super Bowl. 8 years later they finish 3-13.

2007: 3-13
2008: 2-14
2009: 1-15 (Draft Sam Bradford QB #1)
2010: 7-9
2011: 2-14
2012: 7-8-1
2013: 7-9
2014: 6-10
2015: 7-9
2016: 4-12 (Draft Jared Goff QB #1)
2017: 11-5 (Back to Playoffs)
2018: 13-3 (Back to Superbowl)

I'm not saying bouncing back well doesn't happen. I'm not saying the Cowboys turn around didn't happen. Of course we can pull up quick turn arounds, and I can keep wasting time and pulling up more teams struggling to do so. To your point/question, yes there are teams that consistently struggled to climb out, even with high QB draft picks. To me, it just seems with no guarantee a high QB pick will guarantee turn around, and the struggles that do happen once you hit the bottom dwellers, Fins are trying to balance it. They're willing to go QB high but are also trying to maintain a hungry mindset. Hence Fitz. I mean looking at some of these turn arounds listed above, I don't think Flores/Grier would be given a decade to get back to playoffs. They are trying to balance all of that. Sometimes it works (Goff and McVay pairing) and sometimes it doesn't for awhile.

Last edited:
You're asking for example of teams being terrible and bottom of the barrel, and having trouble climbing back out of that hole? And you're saying there are no examples of that? Okay...

From 93 to 99 the Lions make the playoffs 5 out of 7 seasons. In 2001 they spiral. No worries, they're been consistent in the playoffs for awhile. They have up and down years but they bounce back, right? And no worries, they have the 3rd pick of the NFL draft and can take a QB high!

2001: 2-14 (They draft 3rd and take Joey Harrington QB)
2002: 3-13
2004: 6-10
2005: 5-11
2006: 3-13
2007: 7-9
2008: 0-16 (They draft Matthew Stafford QB #1)
2009: 2-14
2010: 6-10
2011: 10-6 (Back to the playoffs)

Or, let's talk Browns. In 1994 they go 11-5 and lose Divisional Playoffs. Within 2 years they finish 2-14 and draft #1. No worries, high draft pick QB! Can climb right back out of the hole, right?

1999: 2-14 (They draft Tim Couch QB #1)
2000: 3-13
2001: 7-9
2002: 9-7 (Make playoffs!)
2004: 4-12
2005: 6-10
2006: 4-12
2007: 10-6
2008: 4-12
2009: 5-11
2010: 5-11
2011: 4-12
2012: 5-11
2013: 4-12
2014: 7-9
2015: 3-13
2016: 1-15
2017: 0-16 (Draft Baker Mayfield QB #1)
2018: 7-8-1

We can keep going. What about the Rams? They are hot. They ever struggled climbing out? 1999 they won the Super Bowl. 8 years later they finish 3-13.

2007: 3-13
2008: 2-14
2009: 1-15 (Draft Sam Bradford QB #1)
2010: 7-9
2011: 2-14
2012: 7-8-1
2013: 7-9
2014: 6-10
2015: 7-9
2016: 4-12
2017: 11-5 (Back to Playoffs)
2018: 13-3 (Back to Superbowl)

I'm not saying bouncing back well doesn't happen. I'm not saying the Cowboys turn around didn't happen. Of course we can pull up quick turn arounds, and I can keep wasting time and pulling up more teams struggling to do so. To your point/question, yes there are teams that consistently struggled to climb out, even with high QB draft picks. To me, it just seems with no guarantee a high QB pick will guarantee turn around, and the struggles that do happen once you hit the bottom dwellers, Fins are trying to balance it. They're willing to go QB high but are also trying to maintain a hungry mindset. Hence Fitz. I mean looking at some of these turn arounds listed above, I don't think Flores/Grier would be given a decade to get back to playoffs. They are trying to balance all of that.

You are talking about two of the worst sports franchises in all of sports. Look at our own Miami dolphins haha 2007 won 1 game. In 2008, we have our best season out of the last 15 years. Now I am not saying getting the first overall pick is a golden ticket to the promise land but one bad season isnt gonna to collapse the franchise. Got to hit on the QB.

You are talking about two of the worst sports franchises in all of sports. Look at our own Miami dolphins haha 2007 won 1 game. In 2008, we have our best season out of the last 15 years. Now I am not saying getting the first overall pick is a golden ticket to the promise land but one bad season isnt gonna to collapse the franchise. Got to hit on the QB.

Yes, I also included the red hot Rams. That's not the point. I was told I'm just spitting hyperbole and there are no examples of teams struggling to climb out of the bottom ranks of the league, especially once a high QB is taken. So I shared the first 3 examples I thought of. Plenty more. Plenty of others that show quick turn arounds. Regardless, it can be hard. Seems weird to be even be having to defend that notion.

Back
Top Bottom