Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami

Yeah. I meant Rosen. Just before that I read an article on the Bills and that late in the night I got the Josh's mixed up.

I might be off by a pick or so but based on the draft value chart I am probably pretty close. At least I thought about it. I haven't read from you one dam thing worth except "tank duh, tank duh".

You are calling Haskins and Lock a risk? Why so? Enlighten us all.
Can I get you to at least admit that if the Dolphins don't draft a qb in the first round this year that signing Fitzpatrick is a stupid and wasteful move?

No, you have heard what my plan would be, you just don't like it. My plan would be to not spend a dime at qb, this year. I would most likely trade down in this year's draft and accumulate as many draft assets as possible for this year and mostly next year. I would then build the rest of my roster with those assets with this season's draft and then I would let the season play out. If the Dolphins happen to be fortunate enough to have the first pick in next year's draft they would have their choice of qb in, what many believe to be, a much stronger qb class than this year. If they don't happen to have the first pick next season, they could use their assets they accumulated this season to try and move up to get their guy.
So you would go in with just Falk and Rudock?

$5.5m a year is not overpriced for a starting QB.

I'm not sure what your alternative is, not to sign a veteran QB? Regardless of whether we take a QB in 2019 or 2020 we'l need someone like him for the next two years.
Why? If the plan is to draft a qb next year, why do they need a guy like Fitzpatrick for? He's not good enough to make them a playoff contender so what purpose does he serve this year if the Dolphins don't draft a qb this year? They should have at least waited until after the draft to sign a mentor type qb if their plan is to try to get a guy this year. They don't know if they can get a guy they like in this seasons draft so there might not even be a guy this season to mentor. If that's the case, they have to get their guy next season and Fitzpatrick might just be good enough to make that much harder.

No, you have heard what my plan would be, you just don't like it. My plan would be to not spend a dime at qb, this year. I would most likely trade down in this year's draft and accumulate as many draft assets as possible for this year and mostly next year. I would then build the rest of my roster with those assets with this season's draft and then I would let the season play out. If the Dolphins happen to be fortunate enough to have the first pick in next year's draft they would have their choice of qb in, what many believe to be, a much stronger qb class than this year. If they don't happen to have the first pick next season, they could use their assets they accumulated this season to try and move up to get their guy.

As I've brought up countless times in this thread already, while that may make sense on paper, the reality is we have a new coaching staff that is trying to install a philosophy, learn how to gameplan, and evaluate the rest of the offensive personnel...and to do that we need at least competency at the QB position. It's a waste of a year if we don't have someone who can run a real pro offense and put us in competitive situations instead of constant three-and-outs.

Last edited:
I’d really like to know what your problem is. It is a picture with Fitzpatrick and Cutler. Nobody, I repeat N-O-B-O-D-Y, mentioned Ryan Tannehill.
Tannehill Derangement Syndrome. But pretty soon when Tannehill threads get moved to the infrequently trafficked General NFL Thread , i will begin alerting on stuff like this in the Main Forum and encourage others to do the same.

So you would go in with just Falk and Rudock?
Yep. Why not? And if they happened to draft a qb this year and they feel that the rookie needed a veteran in front of him until he was ready, they could sign one after the draft. There's a great chance that Fitzpatrick would still be available after the draft. What team is knocking down the door to sign him right now? Even if he did sign elsewhere, who cares? There are always veteran qb's available that are comparable to Fitzpatrick that could be brought in as a bridge to the rookie. What purpose will Fitzpatrick serve this season if the Dolphins don't draft their qb this year?

As I've brought up countless times in this thread already, while that may make sense on paper, the reality is we have a new coaching staff that is trying to install a philosophy, learn how to gameplan, and evaluate the rest of the offensive personnel...and to do that we need at least competency at the QB position. It's a waste of a year if we don't have someone who can run a real pro offense and put us in competitive situations instead of constant three-and-outs.
This should be a teaching year. The coaches will have no problem figuring out who can play and who can't if they are competent at what they do. Every year for the last 20 years have been a waste because this team has never been built to sustain winning so what difference will one more year make?

Yep. Why not? And if they happened to draft a qb this year and they feel that the rookie needed a veteran in front of him until he was ready, they could sign one after the draft. There's a great chance that Fitzpatrick would still be available after the draft. What team is knocking down the door to sign him right now? Even if he did sign elsewhere, who cares? There are always veteran qb's available that are comparable to Fitzpatrick that could be brought in as a bridge to the rookie. What purpose will Fitzpatrick serve this season if the Dolphins don't draft their qb this year?
To compete. No matter how many times posters on this forum yell tank, it's not what the dolphins are doing. They are going to try to compete. They needed a started QB. They got one for backup money. Win/win. Unless of course you're a finheaven poster who wants the team to lose almost all their games. So ridiculous.

To compete. No matter how many times posters on this forum yell tank, it's not what the dolphins are doing. They are going to try to compete. They needed a started QB. They got one for backup money. Win/win. Unless of course you're a finheaven poster who wants the team to lose almost all their games. So ridiculous.
What's ridiculous is fooling yourself into believing your are competing for anything meaningful with Fitzpatrick as the starter. What you guys don't seem to get is no one is asking the players not to compete. They will naturally compete and play hard. I just want a front office savvy enough and smart enough to put this organization in the best position to win and win big for a sustained number of years and in my opinion that means finding the best qb possible.

What's ridiculous is fooling yourself into believing your are competing for anything meaningful with Fitzpatrick as the starter. What you guys don't seem to get is no one is asking the players not to compete. They will naturally compete and play hard. I just want a front office savvy enough and smart enough to put this organization in the best position to win and win big for a sustained number of years and in my opinion that means finding the best qb possible.
The best QB possible might be there at 13. No guarantee that the qb at 1 is the best possible QB.

Then why not wait until after the draft to sign a veteran?
Why wait? a first round qb doesn't have to start the first year.

I can understand this question if Miami was paying 15mil a year for a starting qb, but they aren't. So if miami drafts a qb in round 1 and fitz sucks bad enough, ok, we are out 5.5mil. no big deal. Start the rookie.

Just seems to me that there are certain posters that aren't going to happy unless we are punting on first down next year in an effort to lose.

Why? If the plan is to draft a qb next year, why do they need a guy like Fitzpatrick for? He's not good enough to make them a playoff contender so what purpose does he serve this year if the Dolphins don't draft a qb this year? They should have at least waited until after the draft to sign a mentor type qb if their plan is to try to get a guy this year. They don't know if they can get a guy they like in this seasons draft so there might not even be a guy this season to mentor. If that's the case, they have to get their guy next season and Fitzpatrick might just be good enough to make that much harder.
It's hard to answer that without knowing what your alternative suggestions are.

If you're suggesting that we should have kept Tannehill for another year, then Fitzpatrick is cheaper and also keeping Tannehill around would likely have continued to cause a distraction regarding his performance and whether he stays beyond the season. Neither the new FO, new coaching team, or young squad probably need that distraction so it's a convenient time to cut him loose and clear the financial obligations ready for the 2020 FA push.

If you're suggesting that we should have signed a different bridge QB, then who? Fitzpatrick has the experience and leadership to fill that role. Tyrod Taylor was also an option, after that the other two being mentioned are the second coming of Ryan Leaf and and a guy who has flamed out with three of the shittiest franchises in the NFL. There needs to be some consistency at QB as the new FO and new coaching team need to assess key offensive players (Parker, Drake, Gesicki) and they aren't going to do that with shitty QB play. Also new staff and young players need some stability, the distraction of a shitshow at QB is likely to cause more issues in with an inexperienced staff and team, and it's a distraction they don't need. Yeah there could be other bridge QBs out there, but which ones offer a better option that Fitzpatrick for price and the ability to offer experience and relative stability so that the FO and coaches can focus on other areas? if your issue is that you'd rather see Mike Glennon or Trevor Siemian at QB then yeah fine, but that's an argument over nothing really.

If you're suggesting that we should just start Ruddock or Falk, same applies as above - the new FO and coaching team don't need a shitshow at QB this year. What's the worst that can happen? Well quite a lot, a dysfunctional offense means that yet again we'll get to an offseason scratching our heads about DeVante Parker, we'll have Kenyan Drake entering FA potentially on the back of two seasons where he hasn't been pushed or able to show his worth, and still not knowing if Mike Gesicki is a bust or the next Aaron Hernandez (on the field). I'd imagine these are more important than figuring out if Luke Falk can be a legit starting QB, which they can probably still get a handle on anyway as the chances of Fitzpatrick starting all 16 games is pretty slim. And again, no matter how much people say that 2019 is a 'free hit', when the losses start piling up and players aren't getting the ball the **** starts to unravel pretty swiftly. QB competency is required.

Finally, if you're suggesting that we should have gone out for a 'proper' FA starting QB (Foles, or made a decent play for Bridgewater) then that comes with a long-term financial commitment that doesn't fit in with the plan for 2020.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom