Ryan Mallet thrilled with Dolphins workout (Radio interview answers) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Mallet thrilled with Dolphins workout (Radio interview answers)

Seriously, think about what Ponder brings to the table:

Great athleticism for the position, and he uses it as a QB should; very intelligent; great feet (doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with athleticism); can make all the throws; great leader; tremendous accuracy and touch.

Seriously, you're talking about a guy who can absolutely be a star QB in this league.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I'm very seriously serious about Ponder, apparently ^ wtf?

seriously...ha ha...anyways...i think ponders a better athlete on paper than what i see on the field...i mean he tested about with newton as an athlete and to me newton was much more elusive in the sec than ponder in the acc on the hoof...i also think newton has a much better feel for the pocket and pressure...newton senses people...ponder i'm not sure i see that

the arm is pretty average to me...i see more velocity when on the move than when he stands in the pocket and delivers...i saw guys at the senior bowl almost getting the jump on some throws...could it be bad routes??? maybe but imo timing in the pocket is critical with him... i see chad pennington with better legs...

Mike Shanahan won't take Ryan Mallett. I'm pretty comfortable going on record with that one. It's just not in Shanahan's history, and he does have a pretty established history now of the kinds of quarterbacks he likes. Shanahan would love Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, maybe Jake Locker, maybe even Christian Ponder, but not Ryan Mallett. He likes a guy with a combination of good feet and a big arm. Mallett only has one of those. What you need to be able to do is Shanahan's offense is run the bootleg, and also to be able to sprint out on hand-offs to exchange points that are stretched a little further out than many other offenses would do it. That's a key to Shanahan's zone-based ground game. It's why John Elway was his archetype. It's why when he had the chance he traded for Jake Plummer in Denver, and then drafted Jay Cutler, and then traded for Donovan McNabb in Washington.

Wanted to add to this: Mike Shanahan made a very serious run at Tony Romo coming out of college. The only reason why he didnt get him was because Tony felt he had a better chance at earning the starting job in Dallas(was right around the time Denver signed Plummer). As well, while Elway is his architect, Shanahan was still fond of roll out quarterbacks with strong arms before he got his second chance at head coach. Shanahan was the offensive coordinator for the 49'ers when Steve Young(and Jerry Rice) bludgeoned the Chargers into stupidity.

Another reason to suspect his interest in Locker or Gabbert over Mallet: after Shanahan was fired from Denver he did 2 things. 1) Travelled to different teams during training camp researching successful 3-4 defenses. 2) Rented out an office and studied the hell out of upcoming quarterbacks. He wanted to be up to speed for the 2009 draft and figured any job he got offered would need a quarterback. He was rumored to be in love with Locker and wouldnt of hesitated drafting him 4th overall in '09. With the exception of Newton(who he obviously didnt get a chance to study pre-Redskins job), i dont think their is a quarterback who fits his "type" more then Locker. Shanahan has never been one not to take a chance at quarterback, and has been watching Locker for at least 2 years. If there is one team that would reach for Locker, its the Redskins.

My stipulations with Ponder would be "good accuracy" rather than "tremendous accuracy"...and I would point out that his decision-making was too simple and questionable at times. I like his athleticism, I like his leadership, his ability to make all the throws from any footing or platform, obviously his toughness, and he's smart as they come.

BUT, Bill Belichick and Chan Gailey have both explained that the most important traits in a QB are his inherent accuracy and his decision-making. I wouldn't say Ponder is "weak" in either category, but he's not superlative either. I like him as a 1st round guy, think he'll continue to ascend especially once his health problems settle down. He'll benefit from NFL coaching, getting into a more complicated NFL offense.

I'd draft Newton, Mallett and Gabbert over him though.

Incidentally Jon Gruden plans to do his Quarterback School segments again, they'll air April 21st. He's doing them with Ryan Mallett, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Andy Dalton. No plans to do one with Christian Ponder or Colin Kaepernick.

Last year the segment he did with Jimmy Clausen really turned me off. It's not like it's something that is significant to a guy's draft grade or anything, I already didn't like how Jimmy came off in several other venues, but in the segment I thought he drew negatives. And then PFT started harping about it, and supposedly they've heard from teams that said it soured them on Jimmy Clausen as well. This will obviously be a big test for Ryan Mallett. I would say that I actually expect him to pass with flying colors but it seems like the media are really dead set on interpreting everything he does negatively. I mean, if I never knew anything of what the media thought about Ryan Mallett's Q&A segment at the Combine, never heard from them but I just watched it on video and had to write about it, I'd have written a glowing report about how Ryan Mallett was tested hard by the media and came out of smooth and smiley like a winter date at Rockefeller Center. And yet the press wrote things like "disastrous" and "off putting", "defensive", "stormed off", "cut the interview off early", etc. It was a farse.

Agree that I was overstating his case a tad.

I also agree that Mallett has been great in every interview/media situation he's encountered (that I've seen).

I hate gambling with that position but I don't want to be dumb about it either...giving up 3rd round picks when right now there isn't enough intel to make us think Mallett will go before #15. By draft day that could be different. Fact of the matter is I do like Christian Ponder and he would be a worthy pick at #15 and if you get surprised and Minnesota does take Mallett...Ponder will likely be there.

And if you lose out on all of that, you put a full court press on the Carson Palmer option. And if that doesn't pan out, you start making preparations for a trade up in 2012 for a guy like Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, or possibly Ryan Lindley.

I certainly hope you're right about Mallet not going before 15 but I think the odds of 8 teams in need of a QB and Mallet being arguably the best, won't last. Quite honestly I'll be surprised if Newton is picked before him. The Bengals, Cardinals and Vikings are the teams I would be concerned with taking Mallet. Hopefully Washington takes Locker because if Mallet is gone, Ponder would be my choice at 15.

just wanted to correct a bit of why Mallett left Michigan. He almost left to go back to Arkansas BEFORE his freshmen season. He went to Michigan mainly because Mitch Mustain was already at Arkansas, after he transferred, Mallett seriously contemplated leaving, but Lloyd Carr talked him into staying. During the season, Mallett's attitude really rubbed a bunch of teammates the wrong way. Rodriguez coming in was just an easy out for him, but he was thinking of leaving (and probably would have left) no matter who the coach was.

And Lloyd Carr was not fired. After the previous season he wanted to retire, but the AD at the time convinced him to stay one more year. Not to turn this into a Michigan thread, but the whole situation was very messy the whole way around.

As for Mallett. If his attitude as truly changed (and I can vouch going to a few Michigan games that year and getting to meet him, he had quite the ego on him), I'm all for bringing him here. The cocaine rumors bug me, but as of now they are still just rumors.

As long as my QB put's TDs on the scoreboard and is not careless with the ball, I could care less how ****y he is.

I hate gambling with that position but I don't want to be dumb about it either...giving up 3rd round picks when right now there isn't enough intel to make us think Mallett will go before #15. By draft day that could be different. Fact of the matter is I do like Christian Ponder and he would be a worthy pick at #15 and if you get surprised and Minnesota does take Mallett...Ponder will likely be there.

And if you lose out on all of that, you put a full court press on the Carson Palmer option. And if that doesn't pan out, you start making preparations for a trade up in 2012 for a guy like Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, or possibly Ryan Lindley.

lemme ask you something...you guys research seems to point to mallet MAYBE being an occasional pot smoker...there is still no concrete evidence to suggest anything harder...if teams doing their homework on this kid have roughly the same findings what gives you confidence mallet makes it to pick #15 other than the old school mentality gms and coaches seem to have when it comes to drug use and qbs and that for all we know right now mallets name is not one that seems to be moving up the boards rumors wise???

do you really want to risk someone else taking your preferred qb on an old school mentality and that there's no buzz in the media on the kid right now??? i don't think going and getting that kid considering what we know off the field and the fact we all agree mallet has undeniable franchise qb talents etc is a dumb play if he falls in your wheelhouse

lemme ask you something...you guys research seems to point to mallet MAYBE being an occasional pot smoker...there is still no concrete evidence to suggest anything harder...if teams doing their homework on this kid have roughly the same findings what gives you confidence mallet makes it to pick #15 other than the old school mentality gms and coaches seem to have when it comes to drug use and qbs and that for all we know right now mallets name is not one that seems to be moving up the boards rumors wise???

do you really want to risk someone else taking your preferred qb on an old school mentality and that there's no buzz in the media on the kid right now??? i don't think going and getting that kid considering what we know off the field and the fact we all agree mallet has undeniable franchise qb talents etc is a dumb play if he falls in your wheelhouse

I think it's amazing that the top 2 guys posters want on this board both have huge rumors, issues lingering. Mallett with his drug use and Ingram with his health. As much as the reward might turn out to be with each one, it just sucks that both guys have major questions.

[/B]I think it's amazing that the top 2 guys posters want on this board both have huge rumors, issues lingering. Mallett with his drug use and Ingram with his health. As much as the reward might turn out to be with each one, it just sucks that both guys have major questions.

i'm not afraid to take a risk if the talent warrants it...the question is does mallet even get to us if he's squeaky clean??? i very seriously doubt it

I'm on board with Ryan Mallett, I do think we'll get him at 15, but would not be upset if a move up was neccesary.

We just have to fix this QB situation, even if it means a year of development for Mallett. As we've seen, 10+ years can slip by if you don't.

[/B]I think it's amazing that the top 2 guys posters want on this board both have huge rumors, issues lingering. Mallett with his drug use and Ingram with his health. As much as the reward might turn out to be with each one, it just sucks that both guys have major questions.
A long standing problem the Dolphins have had is being overly conservative in the draft. If you want to reap the reward, you have to be willing to take the risk.

A long standing problem the Dolphins have had is being overly conservative in the draft. If you want to reap the reward, you have to be willing to take the risk.

absolutely...i'm so sick and tired of average and safe it makes me sick...

I'd rather take a risk of, is this QB's talent going to translate to the NFL NOT Is this going going to sniff his way out of a career. I'd rather take the risk of what kind of an impact is a rookie RB going to have with a team that has major Oline issue Not is his knee going to last past his first year.

Back
Top Bottom