Ryan Mallet thrilled with Dolphins workout (Radio interview answers) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Mallet thrilled with Dolphins workout (Radio interview answers)

I'll admit the video wasn't impressive as a highlight video however it was neither the point of the video or showing just highlights. All qb's are going to make mistakes, hell I think Peyton Manning and Tom Brady had at least one interception this year. Pressure is a part of the game, the question is how does the qb handle it. I'd rather see a qb try to make a play as opposed to panicking and throwing the ball out of bounds. Enough of the 3 second clock throw away, take a chance instead of throwing yours balls away. I'm not sure how much of that was coaching or Henne last year but I want to give the receivers a chance this year.

I agree with you for the most part but would like to point out that the video was not a highlight. I graded and clipped five games of Mallett's this year. Those games were the Georgia, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Alabama and Ohio State games. That YouTube video literally held every single throw and scramble from those five games where Ryan Mallett was forced to move his feet due to pressure. I wasn't trying to show just good plays or just bad ones or some combination. It was all of it, to give people a sense for what Mallett does under pressure.

Keep in mind, plays under pressure, quarterbacks in the NFL average around 60.0 QB rating when put under pressure. Some are much lower, some are higher. Most, even the real good ones, are around that 60.0 mark. I'd say in college that Mallett's under pressure passing was higher than that QB rating, but that in the pros it'll probably be about average.

What you see if you dissect the pressure video CLOSELY (involves replay, slow motion, etc), which I have the ability to do because I created it and have all of the clips at my disposal whereas you can be limited a little if you're watching a YouTube video...is that Ryan Mallett has a very advanced sense for pocket pressure. He knows where blitzers are coming from and anticipates pressure based on what he knows of the blitz concept. He also has a sense for blocking breakdowns and can feel a player coming free before that player is already breathing down his neck. Because of this early warning system of his, he's able to enact plans to deal with the pressure. Sometimes that could be backing up and throwing off his back foot, sometimes that could be stepping aside and making the guy miss, other times it might be to rush the throw or otherwise change his motion to get the ball off to a hot read.

All in all though, his accuracy is about 65% when throwing these rushed throws. That doesn't mean he'll complete 65%, because players will drop the ball. But, he could complete that much, and that's a significant accuracy percentage when under pressure and being forced to throw early or with a changed motion, or otherwise off balance. I included the roll-out clips from those five games in there to show that whereas some people claim the primary issue on his accuracy is his being on the run...that's just not really the case. He was like 7 or 8 on those non-pressured roll-out throws, and the one incomplete was a drop.

Overall, I was very happy with his pressure video. If I put together videos of other quarterbacks under pressure coming out, it'd be very comparable. That's what people don't get. They want highlights. They want to see every pass be the guy ducking pressure, sprinting out and throwing 50 yards downfield for a touchdown. That's not football. That's fantasy.

yeah... i'm with ck...mallets not a fit for washington...now them trading out to a team who wants a qb in that slot is very very possible...that #10 picks been on sale since the combine evidently

i think if you want to secure yourself ryan mallet if your convinced he's the guy get to #10 by giving washington #15 and #79...they don't have a 3rd i think they'd take it and imo you get to #10 you got yourself ryan mallet

Know what's better than a franchise QB? Recouping your 2nd RD pick for the hell of it.

If the Fins are putting up a smokescreen around this guy, then its a pretty poor one.

We don't really like the kid or his attitude, but we'll still work him out 3,124,476 times. But really we don't like him. Honest.

They have a LOT of people convinced. Jason La Canfora, Omar Kelly, even Peter King who in his recent piece about Mallett (which was inspired by our piece, for the record) pointed at the Dolphins as a team that would not necessarily buy a Ryan Mallett, but then pointed to several teams that could.

Key is, IF the Dolphins are really interested in Ryan Mallett, then they're hiding a tree in the forest, in addition to putting out private word that they don't like him. Yeah, they've seen him a bunch of times. But they've seen a lot of quarterbacks a bunch of times, from Nathan Enderle to Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, Christian Ponder, Colin Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor. When you blanket the entire field at a position like that, you're hiding a tree in the forest.

What raises my eyebrow is the extent they appear to be going to try and proactively convince people they're not looking at Ryan Mallett. Telling people that the only reason Mallett is coming to visit is so that D.J. Williams has someone to throw the ball to him? Really? That's pretty suspicious, to me. Also suspicious that after they met with him at the Combine, sources put out word to various lOcal media that the Dolphins think Mallett's a jerk and don't like him. But then they continued on to see him at his Pro Day and invite him to Davie. That doesn't make sense to me.

Know what's better than a franchise QB? Recouping your 2nd RD pick for the hell of it.

Especially so that you can use that 2nd round pick on either a defensive lineman that is not suited for your defensive scheme, or a tiny experimental wildcat player.

i feel much better moving up to grab ryan mallet than i do moving back and taking christian ponder...i just think we are talking about 2 totally different level guys when it comes to upside and big play ability

i hate giving up the 3rd rounder but sitting around to #15 to me is dicey as heck...i think everyone knows miami wants a qb and i can see st louis being willing to trade out at #14 if julio jones is gone and us getting trumped...

its time to be proactive not reactive

I have to say I'm developing a bit of a man crush on the guy. I still think we should trade back and take our chances to pick him up late in the 1st, if he's not there Ponder will be and I would be more than happy with him as a consolation prize. But I'm pretty sure with the smear campaign that seems to be following him around, he'll be there for us as long was we are picking ahead of Seattle.

If no trade partner can be found, I would be disappointed if we picked anyone other than Mallet at 15.

I'd like to be proactive too but so far we just haven't heard of Ryan Mallett making a shift up the draft boards...so I feel good about him at #15. I don't necessarily think the Dolphins are taking him, but I feel fairly good right now about him being there. We'll see, things could change.

I'm really high on Ponder. I love his skill set and see his upside as higher than Mallett's. I've said it before, but I'd take Mallett over Ponder for a couple of reasons:

1. Durability. Some guys are just snake-bit, and I wonder if this is the case for Ponder.
2. Production. Because of Ponder's injuries, he wasn't able to put up the kind of season I think he would have. Problem with that? I don't know he would have put up a great season. Mallett has the production.

Mallett's the safer bet.

If Ponder emerges as a healthy QB who lives up to potential, I think you're talking about a guy somewhere between A. Rodgers and D. Brees. I don't see Mallett as every being THAT kind of QB.

I'd like to be proactive too but so far we just haven't heard of Ryan Mallett making a shift up the draft boards...so I feel good about him at #15. I don't necessarily think the Dolphins are taking him, but I feel fairly good right now about him being there. We'll see, things could change.

to be honest, i'm afraid of Minnesota here. if Mallett makes it past Washington at #10, which i'm expecting him to, i'd certainly think about giving Houston a call.

The last QB I remember who was "thrilled" with a Dolphins workout was Brady Quinn, who mouthed the words, "That's surprising" when we, of course, passed on him.

Here is to hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

Especially so that you can use that 2nd round pick on either a defensive lineman that is not suited for your defensive scheme, or a tiny experimental wildcat player.

I don't know. We could trade back and reach on Ballard AND Kaepernick. That'd be pretty sweet.

i just think its risky stuff...we'll see...imo once mallet goes along with newton and gabbert there's a considerable drop off...i keep trying to talk myself into christian ponder in the 20's and i just don't see a lot of upside there...solid pro starting qb maybe but franchise caliber??? not sure i see it...and unless i get a guy with top 12 upside and potential i'm not sure i'll ever be satisfied...

there's no question for me mallets a much better prospect and qb than chad henne...he attacks the defense vertically which i have been begging for in miami since marino left it seems none of this dink and dunk crap...if he can protect him he's gonna do damage...its risky to wait on him...

we're starving for a qb around here...lol

One thing that hasn't been brought up about Mallett is his attitude fit for this team.

Like it or not, Brandon Marshall is here. He's here and he's here to stay, so says the $20 or $30 million of guaranteed money we gave him when we traded for him. Who is Brandon Marshall, and what does he respond to? He doesn't respond to guys like Chad Henne. He responds to guys like Jay Cutler. He ADORES Jay Cutler. They're great friends. Don't let that taunting incident fool you, that was two friends in a competitive game trash talking one another.

Jay Cutler's been accused of ****iness. He's been accused of arrogance, rubbing people the wrong way. Hell, he's called Brandon Marshall out in the media before. When Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler were a team, Brandon Marshall didn't feel like this was the Brandon Marshall show and he needed to dictate what Jay Cutler does with the ball. Cutler would have the balls to do what Warren Moon once said he did with a diva receiver, which was to grab the guy by the facemask and tell him if he ever did (whatever it was that Moon didn't like that he did) again he would BURY the guy on the depth chart.

When you're dealing with a personality as big as Brandon Marshall's, I think that kind of thing is important. Ryan Mallett isn't going to take sh-t from a wide receiver. He's not going to be passive. And if Ryan Mallett is the starting quarterback, a 1st round pick, the future of the team, and Brandon Marshall wants his Hall of Fame career...and he gets into an argument with Ryan Mallett, Brandon Marshall is going to be the one that feels like he's got to back down. Henne is too passive, very non-confrontational. I think it drives Marshall nuts.

Back
Top Bottom