Ryan Tannehill trade could be a smart move by the Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

If RT would get us a 1st coming off an injury what is his value after a healthy year? 2 1sts?

MiamiMuss likes this.
  2. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

Wentz clinched a playoff spot before he got hurt, Tannehill didn't. We don't know if Tannehill would've won those games late in the year against the Jets and Bills to secure a playoff spot, especially Buffalo considering he's 0-4 in his career at Orchard Park

Yessir likes this.
  3. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

the only team in love w thill17 is dolphins.
    who in their right mind would give dolphins first rd pick for thill17

MiamiMuss likes this.
  4. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

You sure? Tannehill obviously wouldn't start in Philly so why would they do that deal? To maybe upgrade their backup QB situation? They might not look at it as an upgrade, considering what Foles did for the team after Wentz went down. Even if they did feel that Tannehill was better, you think they'd rather pay Tannehill that $20 mil next year rather than Foles and his $7.5 mil?

5. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm not even going to answer this silly question. The premise supposes no QB that has ever suffered an injury and recovered has trade value.

6. Eesti

Eesti Rookie Finheaven VIP

How many knee injuries did Sam Bradford suffer? How much did he fetch in his trades? Minnesota gave up a 1st and a 4th for him for one year under contract. Rams also traded him for Nick Foles and a bunch of picks.

7. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

"QB rich draft"

lololol that's funny

8. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Just like "what team would give a 1st for Bradford"

Ok. Sound logic.

9. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Please stop with this Foles BS. Foles won't do nothing without a great OL. So in other words. He is useless in Miami.

psfign likes this.
  10. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I suspect that after we win a Superbowl with Tanny under center, there will be some forum fans screaming "We should trade him now while he has his highest trade value". Basically they don't care who or what we get or already have as long as Tannehill is gone. I don't give those posters don't get much credit for pragmatism; crapmatisim maybe, but not pragmatism.

psfign and lurking like this.
  11. psfign

psfign Guest

Oh so you've talked to other teams then?

12. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

he's a QB guru don't you know. wait till he tells you how much better jay cutler was then thill17

RVAPhinFan13 and psfign like this.
  13. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

14. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

The fact that Wentz made the playoffs and Tannehill didn't is just about timing really. Yes we don't know if Tannehill would have made the playoffs but we don't know that he wouldn't have either. My response was to the fact that Tannehill needed elite talent surrounding him to be good which was unfair given the fact that before getting hurt he was playing well. If a career backup could win two games to make the playoffs, why couldn't Tannehill even with all his faults. Tannehill did most of the hard work to get this team into the playoffs and that can't be taken away from him, being 0-4 in his career at Orchard Park still doesn't negate his accomplishments for that season.

15. TX-FinFan

TX-FinFan Seasoned Veteran

Tannehill has a losing career W-L record (37-40), has never started a playoff game, has never been selected to a probowl, has been sacked over 200 times, is coming off 2 ACL injuries and hasn't played a snap in 20+ months and is coming up on the wrong side of 30. On Philly Tannehill is a backup to Wentz and not for $20M/yr. I would not trade Tannehill I don't think Miami can get much value for him given the stats above.

16. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Four. He was very good in 2016. I think you missed it. Buy Game Pass and watch the games.

miami365 likes this.
  17. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I firmly believe we could not get a first rounder for him from any team so we are stuck with him.

I highly doubt we could even get a Kevin Kolb type trade for Tannehill.

18. lurking

I agree with the first part of this but the second part is just stupid,trolling or whatever you want to call it.

psfign likes this.
  19. Blake the great

How is it stupid and/or trolling? Kolb was traded for a 2nd rounder and very good CB in Rodgers-Cromartie. It's very unlikely that a team would offer that right now for Tannehill because he's been injured, deep QB draft class, and solid free agent QB market.

20. lurking

For one he never amounted to anything, and secondly, just because Arizona made a stupid trade doesn't he was worth it.

21. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

Nobody missed it. He had a 5 of 6 game stretch, where he beat up on mediocre to bad defenses. And this is what qualifies as groomed? Took him 4 years to get to that stretch, and hasn't played a game since. Awesome.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Martel13, MiamiMuss and Yessir like this.
  22. Blake the great

Those are irrelevant to the point

23. FinfanInBuffalo

Or an 8 game stretch with a 7-1 record to go along with a 6-1 record over the 2014 and 2015 seasons when the starting OL was intact. In those 15 games, his QB rating is well above 100. I'm sorry you cannot see the correlation between decent OL play on the Dolphins and exceptional QB play by Tannehill. Open your eyes. It's plain as day to see.

Ray R likes this.
  24. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think everyone sees that, seriously. You could say that about any NFL QB. If the OL dominates how can the QB fail? I want a QB that can make a play on his own and knows when that play is at hand. Maybe a more mentally aggressive quarterback.

25. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Yet Nick Foles is hailed as the next best thing since sliced bread in another thread. The guy who had the best line in football. Tannehill can only be good if he is successful with crap in front him?

26. Brad528

Brad528 Pro Bowler

We have him signed for relatively cheap compared to QBs from his class. Trading him coming off an injury when his value is as low as possible would make almost zero sense for us or for other teams imo

27. sleek

sleek $$UNDERDOG$$

If we trade our QB then we will need a QB which will cost more than what we got in a trade for our QB and will be lucky to equal the production of our past QB.

I mean I'm all for running down to the "Dirt Cheap,System Knowing, No NFL Experienced Needed, Franchise QB Store" except for nobody knows the directions because it doesn't exist.

miami365 and Ray R like this.
  28. Trifecta Nation

Trifecta Nation Rookie

This human being doesn't exist. Don't believe the hype. You're probably talking about the two best safeties ever. Be happy if James can come close to measuring up to either one and you'll have a great player. The "put together" talk is foolish. EDIT: Ah, nevermind...just read some of the other comments.

As far as Ryan goes, I disagree with the premise of the article. Why would you dangle your QB (even if you could) in a year where there's going to be so many QB options in free agency and the draft? It would make more sense if the QB well was kind of dry, right? Teams could then prioritize Ryan higher than they would this year. Throw in the bad knee and this really doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, I have little faith in the front office to do what the "right thing" is for the team. I don't even know who picks our players? Is it Gase, Grier or Tannenbaum?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Jerrysanders and Ray R like this.
  29. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

I don't think i'd be against it if we got good value.

I am a FAN of Tannehill. I root for him to succeed. I truly believe he can lead a decent team to the promised land based on his skillset. But i'm already thinking "This is the year we get to see Tannehill for real, it has to be this year...." ....and i've been thinking that for quite a few years. So if that cycle gets forcibly broken, i won't really be upset.

30. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Didn't some idiot GM take Culpeper with injury problems.That same GM could trade for RT.Or are we the only stupid azzes that would pass on a hall of fame qb and take an injured qb willing also costing us a 2nd round pick

Ray R likes this.
  31. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

32. FinfanInBuffalo

LOL at Bortles, Dalton, Keenum, Taylor, Winston, Mariota, Goff, Watson, Smith, Garappolo, Prescott, Newton, and Carr all being ahead of Tannehill.

A case can be made for Tannehill being better than any one of those QBs. Three of them (Smith, Taylor, and Bortles) may not even be on the same team next season. Cousins isn't even listed.

It is all just a matter of opinion. Even if someone thinks they are better, none of them are significantly better than Tannehill. That is the problem with some rankings. They pick an order with no ties and no indication of distance between players. In this case, the difference between 24 and 11 is nil.

Ray R likes this.
  33. dolphintodd

Everything you said is fair. Are those QBs significantly better than Tannehill...No. But many of those QBs have played in the playoffs and many have won a playoff game. I would say that Newton, Watson and maybe Prescott are a lot better tho.

34. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Newton is a 3 time pro bowler, 1 time all pro, 1 time MVP 1, OPOY, has 3 seasons in which he has 30+ total TD's and 1 season where he had 40+ total TD's. I can't see any case being made for Tannehill over Newton

35. FinfanInBuffalo

2016 and 2017. QB ratings of 75 and 80.

Ray R likes this.
  36. dolphintodd

That's a BIG stretch comparing Tannehill and Newton. Cam Newton at times has been unstoppable in some big moments.

37. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I don't really just go by QB rating. Alex Smith has a pretty 94.9 QB rating since 2011 but we all know why. If a QB can give me solid production outside of QB rating, i think I can live with that. Newton's rookie year he had 35 total TD's and 4700 total yards with a QB rating of 84.5, I take that every time, cut down the turnovers and we're in business.

38. FinfanInBuffalo

And at other times a complete disaster. I mean, complete disaster. Obviously he has played well at times, but sorry not my kind of player.

Ray R likes this.
  39. dolphintodd

That is your right, personally I would take the "great" player at times vs. mediocre all the time.

40. FinfanInBuffalo

I don't factor the rushing yards and TDs as much as others may. My reasoning is that those are simply carries taken from the RBs. In addition, it is not sustainable over the long haul. Newton is below average in reading defenses, and accuracy and IMO, those are cardinal sins for a QB. Give me a better passer and leave the running to the RBs.

Ray R likes this.