Saban Or Jimmy | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Or Jimmy

Dbergan said:
On paper...right now, you are correct.

Lets wait and see what Nick brings after a 2-3 year evaluation. Jimmy won the big one....Nick has not.

Jimmy won squat here, and no one can deny the superior staff Saban put together.....there are no Kippy Browns on Sabans staff.

By Jimmy's OWN admission, he is not an X's and O's coach....Saban is.....Jimmy even said Wannstedt was a better coach than he was.....now if thats not slamming yourself you tell me what is?

I believe Jimmy was an excellent motivator, had a good eye for defensive talent, not a very good eye for offensive talent, and in the end those were his downfalls here.

In Dallas, I think the stars aligned for him, and the Hershall Walker bonanza, I don't think he drafted some of the major offensive stars on that Dallas team if I'm not mistaken.

MarinoEqualsGod said:
Wow, that's quite a statement from a Wanny backer...

P.S. I agree with your post.

Up until the collapse last season, Wanny had a better record than Jimmy.

IMO he did a better coaching job than Jimmy.

ZOD said:
Plain and simple the "legend" of Jimmy Johnson consists of two championships.

About the Championship won at the University of Miami..... You have to ask yourself a question as it pertains to that championship. When did the school officials begin to give excessive financial aid and pell grants to athletes in the football program? The cheating was discovered in 1994. Did it actually begin with Dennis Erickson? I don't know about that. He wasn't a cheater before he got to the Miami Hurricanes. Was it a standard practice when he got there? It seems a little funny to me that this school regains it's national prominence in football and then a couple of years later "O' know we got caught."

I've got two words about the championship won at Dallas "Herschel Walker". What have these coaches won since?

Talent won these championships. Coaching didn't win squat. With Jimmy it's all about how you acquire the talent. Unfortunately for us, there was no Herschel Walker nor any excessive scholarship/payment to provide.

I agree totally. To anyone who doesn't agree, I have two words for you:

BARRY SWITZER!!!!!

That dumb as a stump moron won a SB with the talent that Jimmy collected.

Saban, by miles.

I know this may be premature because his record in the NFL as head coach is 0-0-0, but he's got football down to a level of detail that Jimmy Johnson could never approach. From scouting (at each and every position), to psychology, history, innovative defense from a tactical view... it goes on and on.

Jimmy had a knack for spotting talent, and he handled the draft masterfully while with the Cowboys. The team he was able to assemble from 92-93 could very well be the most talented roster in NFL history. Keep in mind, that was before the salary cap and most teams in today's league wouldn't be naive enough to complete a "Hershal Walker" type deal. So, strictly as a GM, I hold JJ in very high regard.

But if you're talking about the overall package, I take Nick without hesitation. He's an administrator, he's a motivator, he's a revered tactician, he's a refined scout, he's honest and he's not an egotistical jerk that'll ultimately self destruct from his own vanity down the line.

Back
Top Bottom