Saban will use "Value Chart" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban will use "Value Chart"

I just like the fact that we are all still guessing at who we will pick. Usually having a pick so high leads to the first three picks being somewhat a no brainer. Right now, both Miami and San Fran have done a good job at keeping people guessing. I am pretty sure the Niners are going to take Rodgers, but I have heard Edwards name kicked around quite a bit too. Miami has been all over the board. Brown, Benson, Smith, Edwards, trade down. It is insane!

Personally, I think our best bet is to trade down with Minnesota if we can. They need a big play WR and at #2, they are almost guarenteed to get one. Trade for their two first rounders and a lte second day pick. I bet one of the top RB's is still available at #7 and you have the #18 (?) to pick up the BPA or whatever. Plus, add Pat Surtain to the trade list for a 2nd rounder and perhaps McPherson can be picked up in the second.

Personally, I think we should draft a QB in the seocnd or third round. someone who is talented and could take over, but won't be pressured to take over immediately in case Gus and A.J. mess up.

Does anyone have a link to this "draft chart"

BlueFin said:
No long ball? Saban personally watched him fire it 62 yards downfield right on the money to the receiver.

LOL, You have such a boner for this kid...

I'm with you though, I hope we get him or trade down.

:horsey:

CrunchTime said:
OK.I got it.Strange you should have a turnaround on April fools day.:rolleyes:
I'm hurt that you don't trust me.:boohoo:

I liked your first reply better. ;)

CrunchTime said:
Imagine the statistical nightmare that would be created if they adjusted the value chart according to someones subjective opinion about the strength of one draft or another.

IMO its OK as it is.Like all products it is subject to the law of supply and demand.There may be less demand for our pick this year but it doesnt mean we would have to accept lower value to tradedown.

If push comes to shove we can accept future picks as part of a tradedown.You can even get more value than the chart shows that way if you guess right about where that team will finish next year.

There are several teams who are SB contenders who feel they are a player or two away from winning a SB and those teams might be willing to part with high future draft picks in an effort to win now.

I understand your point. But, the value charts are not a standard. They do, in fact, change. And, which one that's out there is used by which teams?

Of course, the difference is not extremely significant, but there is a difference. It is the difference between getting an extra 3rd/4th round pick and not getting one.

There is obviously a difference year by year. In the year Peyton Manning came out - some teams would have killed to get him. Same for some other trades. But, this year, there aren't the same blue chip studs. So, teams will vary from the chart - and each team may adjust it's own value chart accordingly.

Bottom line is - we can't really act as though this chart is the determining factor of a fair or unfair trade. It all depends. Not implying that you were doing this, but there is little doubt that many will.

Da 'Fins said:
I understand your point. But, the value charts are not a standard. They do, in fact, change. And, which one that's out there is used by which teams?

Of course, the difference is not extremely significant, but there is a difference. It is the difference between getting an extra 3rd/4th round pick and not getting one.

There is obviously a difference year by year. In the year Peyton Manning came out - some teams would have killed to get him. Same for some other trades. But, this year, there aren't the same blue chip studs. So, teams will vary from the chart - and each team may adjust it's own value chart accordingly.

Bottom line is - we can't really act as though this chart is the determining factor of a fair or unfair trade. It all depends. Not implying that you were doing this, but there is little doubt that many will.

I saw your chart and there is a slight difference but interesting nonetheless.It demonstrates that there is some leeway in the draft chart values which I was not aware of.

Jnaledu3 said:
LOL..

If RS had his way, we would have traded the #2 for Travis Henry.

Probably the 2nd overall and a 7th round pick just to 'sweeten the deal' ;)

inFINSible said:
Saban is trying to sell the rest of the NFL that we're going to take a QB. He's a smart man, he knows that nobody is going to trade up to number two unless they think WE are going to take a QB. There are no other positions worth trading into the top two.

It's a bluff.

I agree, we're not taking a QB.

inFINSible said:
With no rush...big deal...any NFL prospect could do that.

Wonder what kind of wind up he had to get it that far?

from NFL Insider:

Weaknesses: Arm strength is adequate but not good. Still needs to improve his overall bulk and strength. He can make most of the NFL throws but won't be able to fit the ball into tight spots that many starting NFL quarterbacks can. If there's one facet of his accuracy that is inconsistent it is the deep ball. Ball occasionally will sail and he'll need to improve his timing in order to be successful throwing downfield in the NFL. He spent most of his time in the shotgun and in a spread offense. He will need to learn to read defenses while dropping from under center. He also will need to prove that he's not a "system QB", as he played in an offense that was wide-open and made a lot of the reads very easy for him.

Oh really? At the QB competition held in Miami between Aaron Rodgers, David Greene, Jason White and Kyle Orton, on the long ball contest, they had a 10 yard wide target area downfield they had to land the ball within for the throw to count, in two tries only Rodgers was able to do it at 60 plus yards. So your belittling of Smith hitting a throw on target at 62 yards holds no water.

Also, be careful of reading player evals done before their workout for NFL teams, Smith added 10 pounds since the season ended and according Gil Brandt, and every other NFL person in attendence who has gone on record, answered all the questions that people had about him.

Celtkin said:
It kind of irks me that, knowing what we know now, that he retains the GM title. I know he holds the position in name only and he certainly has to be aware that the sign on his door will be changed sooner than later.

So, what kind of demotion are you thinking of ? Offical Concierge? Pom Pom polisher?

j/k. I see him being downgraded to chief scout. You?

In the many threads arguing the Spielman situation ,I argued that he will be gone after the draft.

I believed then as I do now that he was kept around because he had been in charge during all the scouting during the college season, and that he would be used as a resource of information until after the draft .

I completely agree with you on RS.

BlueFin said:
In the many threads arguing the Spielman situation ,I argued that he will be gone after the draft.

I believed then as I do now that he was kept around because he had been in charge during all the scouting during the college season, and that he would be used as a resource of information until after the draft .

CrunchTime said:
Did anyone notice this item.?

What do you make of it ? What does that say about RS. ? :rolleyes:

It also says "Rick Spielman remains the Dolphins' general manager, but Saban now has final say on all football decisions.

Back
Top Bottom