Safety Malik Hooker visiting Dolphins | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Safety Malik Hooker visiting Dolphins

I think eventually it will be deep but from everything I've watched (YouTube of course) most "so called" experts are predicting him to slot type coverage as a rover, more of a DB roll at first and then working him into that FS center field role.

But then again they are "so called" so we will see, I will say Hooker should be an upgrade over Rowe while Flores figures out where Holland is going to fit in.
This is pretty much what they've done with McCain... slot to single high deep.

I think there is a significant bit of crossover between these two positions, both are more about quickness than strength. The box safety types tend to be a bit stronger so they can be part of the run game.

Holland does though. They’re not gonna carry both, and because McCain still provides a ton of value in nickel, he’s more likely to be safe.

No reason not to carry them all. If you move McCain to Nickel you can have competition at both safety slots and have a backup at each you're comfortable with. Iggy should compete with McCain for Nickel snaps as well.

Now we COULD cut or trade someone but 7ts not a necessity in my opinion.

hired to be a special teams ace, wound up having to play some actual safety and isnt very good at it

I've seen alot of horrible clips on Hooker too. staring in the backfield and letting WR run right by him, blowing coverages. Its one of those if we get him cool, I'm not saying our Defense is getting a million times better with it, I see him as maybe a slight upgrade to whatever we have, possibly. but who knows, we sign him, cut rowe or mccain, and then hooker gets hurt stepping off the plane then we are in a mess

hired to be a special teams ace, wound up having to play some actual safety and isnt very good at it

I've seen alot of horrible clips on Hooker too. staring in the backfield and letting WR run right by him, blowing coverages. Its one of those if we get him cool, I'm not saying our Defense is getting a million times better with it, I see him as maybe a slight upgrade to whatever we have, possibly. but who knows, we sign him, cut rowe or mccain, and then hooker gets hurt stepping off the plane then we are in a mess
Oh yeah him I thought Miami did cut him lol

I do not think that McCain will ever play nickel for us again. He starts, or he is gone.

We brought Coleman in on a low dollar contract to fight it out with Needham.

McCain is too expensive for a back up... or even a nickel.
Hopefully Iggy will beat out both Needham and Coleman as the starting slot corner. Even though Flores has stated that Iggy is not a slot corner, he isn’t going to be getting much playing time with Howard and Jones as the outside corners. So as a first round draft pick he needs to get on the field and right now his best chance of getting on the field is to win the slot CB position.

I really don’t see why Flores says he isn’t a slot corner. Someone drafted as high as he was to play the CB position should be able to play any of the positions IMO and that includes the slot CB position.

Dunno if it's been said on here but Hooker had a visit with the Cowboys in March and they decided to go a different direction, with another S coming off an Achilles.

Comes down to how he's healing and how the Fins can mitigate further injury risk in the contract.

Dunno if it's been said on here but Hooker had a visit with the Cowboys in March and they decided to go a different direction, with another S coming off an Achilles.

Comes down to how he's healing and how the Fins can mitigate further injury risk in the contract.
I agree. My guess is its a look see and a potential signing if healthy. Miami could wait until training camp to revisit Hooker? This could also be a tip of the hand for what they'll be looking for come the 2022 offseason?

Last edited:
You said his cap hit was $5M.

Now that you have been corrected your saying, oh wait I meant to say it saves us $5.7M if we cut him. Nice pivot.

The cap ramifications could also change if he was traded, so maybe not such a nice pivot.

Additionally, your saying you hated him the entire time. Sounds like you made up your mind long ago. The best production we have gotten out of him has been since Flo arrived and moved him to FS.

So your just letting your initial POV rule the day instead of being objective.

90% of the posters in here have been ready to cut Bobby for years. You are far from the minority.

And in one post he went from being the absolute worst player on the defense to, oh your right he is the only guy who can actually play FS and quarterback the secondary.

He "sucked" at this and "sucked" at that.

I'm glad you agree that your arguments are super weak, respectfully.
I said he’s not worth the 5 mill, which insuates him being cut saves us that. 90% for a few years? Youve been here for a few months so I’m sure thats accurate. You said your opinion, I said mine

Last edited:
scary pick up but at the same time intriguing. I can see us signing him and losing him after x amount of games and after letting McCain walk we'll have a huge hole to fill.

I see many people here want to keep McCain and/or Rowe. Well, Flores is not happy with the secondary and that's why they got Coleman and now drafted Holland after drafting Iggy and Jones last year and now they're talking to MH. That should tell you something. It's not up to us to decide what the team will do but from here it seems to me every safety should not be feeling too comfy right.

Disagree a little. I don't "want" to keep Mccain or Rowe, but don't yet think their replacements are up to speed. As others have said, Mccain is the communicator/QB. That's not an easy job. when someone proves he can QB as well as McCain, he's gone. Rowe played well against TEs (except the elites where every safety struggles). He can also be replaced, but not until some proves he's as capable as Rowe or better. One or both of those replacements my be on the team now or until a quality FA is signed. Until then, I think they stay penciled in as starters. Wildcard; if, for example, Flo already thinks Holland shows he's a potential 'elite' safety prior to game 1, that may change.

Disagree a little. I don't "want" to keep Mccain or Rowe, but don't yet think their replacements are up to speed. As others have said, Mccain is the communicator/QB. That's not an easy job. when someone proves he can QB as well as McCain, he's gone. Rowe played well against TEs (except the elites where every safety struggles). He can also be replaced, but not until some proves he's as capable as Rowe or better. One or both of those replacements my be on the team now or until a quality FA is signed. Until then, I think they stay penciled in as starters. Wildcard; if, for example, Flo already thinks Holland shows he's a potential 'elite' safety prior to game 1, that may change.
well like I said, they could both be in the bubble but that doesn't mean they should just get rid of them today. Still a long way to go but I can totally see one of them gone this year with the other one being gone after this season.

To call his injury list long is an understatement, most of them pretty serious ones too.
Achilles, ACL/MCL, labrum, hernia the more serious ones. Groin, foot and hamstring the more minor ones. That in 3 years of football.

His talent is off the charts. No question about it. His durability is really concerning so far. Any contract would have to be loaded with playing time incentives or minimum availability clauses.
I'm one of those huge Malik Hooker fans, but @Fin Thirteen , you're right of course.

With Hooker the play isn't really questioned ... its the availability. If they believe he will be available, we'll sign him and he'll start at FS, either making Bobby McCain expendable or moving McCain to a CB role. If they don't trust his availability, we may not even make him an offer. But I gotta hope he works out and starts getting healthy, because the player he was is too good to pass up. If he can be that guy consistently in the future, this is a no-brainer. But again ... that's probably a longshot at this point in time.

well like I said, they could both be in the bubble but that doesn't mean they should just get rid of them today. Still a long way to go but I can totally see one of them gone this year with the other one being gone after this season.

If you mean 'could be replaced before end of season,' I agree completely

Back
Top Bottom