Salguero: Ireland told his job is safe | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salguero: Ireland told his job is safe

Apologists are quick to throw out Hartline as a success for Ireland but argue everyone else in that draft doesn't count because Parcells was here. :lol:

Ireland misses on picks, but so does every GM in the NFL, it's the biz.

Or we could look at this list...

Merling
Henne
Langford
White
Smith
Turner
Misi
Jerry
Thomas
Gates
Martin
Vernon
Egnew
Taylor
Thomas
Davis

This is a list of second and third round picks that Ireland has made....this is where you build your franchise so you don't have to make huge splashes in FA....only 3 of these guys (bolded) are having an impact on the team this season and Thomas is so inconsistent I almost couldn't bold him.

And you almost shouldn't bold Misi. He's been non-existent this season. This whole LBers corp that Ireland brought in is bad. Ellerbe is servicable if he can get himself into better shape, but really there's not much else in the 2 deep on this LBer corp. IMHO the Oline and the LBer groups need a complete overall this off-season, for what seems like the 3185 time...

Crazy if true.

This team is 7-6 and still needs outside help to get into the playoffs. Why not wait until we see what happens to tell Jeff he's safe? What if the team finishes 7-9 again?
This is the type of quote that makes me crazy. The GM is in charge of the personal, and the personal is not gonna change from now til the end of the season. It isn't the GM that is gonna decide if we end up 7-9 or 10-6 it is the coach. A GM should be judged on who our personal was to start the season and personal changes during the season, the rest goes towards judging the coaching staff. If you don't like the talent level fire him, if you do like the talent keep him but the W/L record is on the coaching staff. The best GM in the world can field a team of 22 probowlers but if the coaching staff sucks then they might go 0-16, and that isn't the fault of the GM.

Because we had the 27th ranked secondary the previous year, had just picked up Patterson with 4 games left. Traded Vontae, Smith was a F.A. didn't have Grimes at the time, The play of Carroll and Wilson, was at times atrocious. And so on and so forth. If this is suppose to be your team, simple **** like this you should know ? No?

who assembled that 27th ranked secondary? who brought that instability to the secondary by making all these moves then said oh **** i guess we better draft some corners? and he didnt do it with the future in mind either. this is a guy with his job on the line making win now decisions like 30 mil guaranteed to mike wallace and trading up for dion jordan. he should have known carroll and/or wilson were going to get better. THAT IS HIS JOB. but he didn't and had given up on them. what did he do with the o line? tyson clabo and a bust pick. now we're signing guys off the street to play o line and trading picks for a guy we didnt want in FA. it's a circus and we haven't even scratched the surface. btw you forgot to mention cutting richard marshall...another failed FA signing....

I still think it is highly unlikely major changes happen in the off season. It's been clear for awhile that the strategy is too have the team developing into contenders in 2014. Of course you try to win in 2013, but there is a plan in place attempt to be elite in 2014. unless some real crazy things happen, I don't see major changes because the plan seems to be slowly paying off. Ross might even consider that if bully gate had not started we may be even more developed. I would like to see a GM change, but I think the odds are less than 40%. Unless there are things we don't know about the investigation which does not seem to be the case so far. I think the discussion is currently in vein.

If the team makes the playoffs why would it be surprising if Ireland stays? The goal was always to make the playoffs, if that happens you can't deny that the team Ireland built was a success.

I will worry about Ireland's job status after we see how the season finishes. If they lose out and finish 7-9, then I think you definitely pull the plug on him. If they make the playoffs he stays.

If the team makes the playoffs why would it be surprising if Ireland stays? The goal was always to make the playoffs, if that happens you can't deny that the team Ireland built was a success.

I will worry about Ireland's job status after we see how the season finishes. If they lose out and finish 7-9, then I think you definitely pull the plug on him. If they make the playoffs he stays.

I am fine bringing back the staff and GM if PROGRESS is made. If the team goes 9-7 or even a competitive 8-8, that is progress. Especially if the Wells Report does not make the FO and staff look too bad, they could survive.

However, these last three games can change a ton of minds for the negative. Lots of work to do.

What about 9-7 and no playoffs? Thats where it gets tricky. Up until recently, I thought a good % of fans were done with Ireland (myself included). Only guessing but I think most would only give him a pass if they make the playoffs.

But IMO, Ross would look at 9-7 and probably keep everything status quo. And I'm not sure thats the right move IF no playoffs happen. I would guess 7-9 or 9-7 makes no difference without a playoff appearance to most fans...though overall progress should be factored into that.

I hope he is gone but I could live with him for one more year and then if needed fire him and Philbin and start fresh with a new GM who will hire his coach

I don't care if this team barely makes the playoffs or barely misses the playoffs. This team is boring, underachieving and lacks elite talent. If Brown doesn't step 1" onto the line half the people would be saying something different today. Ireland has done a poor job for far too long, and this season was perhaps his worst, his only good decision was Grimes. Focus People!

I don't care if this team barely makes the playoffs or barely misses the playoffs. This team is boring, underachieving and lacks elite talent. If Brown doesn't step 1" onto the line half the people would be saying something different today. Ireland has the a poor job for far to long, and this season was perhaps his worst, his only good decision was Grimes. Focus People!
That last play wasn't even close. Illegal movement at the snap, forward lateral (confirmed by the coaches' film), and Brown steps out of bounds. Get real. Great game yesterday to beat the hot Steelers in their house in the snow with our best offensive performance of the season.

That last play wasn't even close. Illegal movement at the snap, forward lateral (confirmed by the coaches' film), and Brown steps out of bounds. Get real. Great game yesterday to beat the hot Steelers in their house in the snow with our best offensive performance of the season.

Sure, but none of that was likely IMO to be overturned. If he doesn't step out and we lost, half the people vacillating on Ireland would be leaning the other way. Its stupid to change your opinion that easily. Over his career as a GM he sucks based on any metric.

his only good decision was Grimes.

Was that really all him however?

I mean, Grimes was out there for awhile. Didn't we have a discussion here about how he hadn't signed any CBs, and we needed CB help, so the market had dried up and Grimes was one of the only few left?

I almost feel like he got pressured into it rather than because he really wanted to do it. I think his thought process all along was the draft and that's why we got CBs there.

Back
Top Bottom