Salguero: Tannehill continues to struggle with tipped passes in practice | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salguero: Tannehill continues to struggle with tipped passes in practice

IMHO if you want a QB that can play into his late 30's he needs to be a pocket passer.

They moved him like a shanahan offense is designed to do but could not with Beck and the other QB last year. I agree that the first drive was primariy bubble screens and quick throws (which is what I think Sherman was trying to get accomplished with Tannehill) to get him going, but after that they let him throw every kind of pass. Both of RGIII's TD's came while he was in the pocket.

they didn't...it is a MAJOR strength...his accuracy and arm on the move...we need to play to it...look at what the skins did with rg3...he was rarely in the pocket...and when he was he threw mostly bubble screens etc...not saying i want to run tannehill to contact like the skins are doing with rg3 and they will probably pay for down the road here if he takes so much contact but for my study of tannehill in college the part of his game that i was most suspect about was the pocket play...not to mention he looked most comfortable in shot gun and pa not taking pro pass drops...pro drops with that kid are a work in progress and i felt like sherman for whatever reason went with them way too much against houston...i think he should have been in the gun more like brady is etc...

Screw RGIII look at what the Ravens did with Flacco! And I only say screw RGIII because I think he is much more athletic than Tannehill and I agree with you about the contact with RGIII. If the Skins are not careful they are going to have another Randall Cunningham on their hands.

I feel Tannehill is on par with Flacco in terms are athletic ability and look at what rolling him out did in the Ravens game! It opened up tremendous passing opportunities. Sherman would be a fool not to use this against the Raiders this week and get Tannehill settled into the game.

One reason I think that may explain why they didn't role him out very much is because of the talent of the Texan's DE. Perhaps they were worried about Martin's ability to hold them off on the right side and Watt is an animal. So maybe they didn't want to role Tannehill into that pressure. It could also be the reason why we don't see it this weekend as well.

I however don't agree with this philosophy. Tannehill throwing on the roll out is one of his best attributes and I think we need to take full advantage of that skill set.

They moved him like a shanahan offense is designed to do but could not with Beck and the other QB last year. I agree that the first drive was primariy bubble screens and quick throws (which is what I think Sherman was trying to get accomplished with Tannehill) to get him going, but after that they let him throw every kind of pass. Both of RGIII's TD's came while he was in the pocket.

yeah both his tds were from the pocket one on a blown coverage thus 88 yards and the other dragging a wr robinson across two underneath routes where the db couldn't get there in time...easy read easy throw 6 points...good play design

all that option stuff they ran will get rg3 killed at this level...i don't think the saints was ready for what the skins did on offense with rg3...i don't think they expected him to run so much on actual designed run plays...shanny gonna get his qb killed...

anyways around the league this last week i saw an awful lot of red zone intuitive play design td mores than i saw a superior athlete or talent making plays...a lot of rub pick type stuff that these scrub officials couldn't pick up on in a high school game let alone a pro one...miami needs to get more intuitive run some double moves with the te's move the pocket use pa etc in the tight red to score tds...just lining up and running routes against man or zone coverage with these wrs and this green a qb is not gonna get it done

WTF. Every qb has tipped passes and it's never focused on like this. If he has a good game this week the same crap writers will praise the hell out of him.

Maybe they were trying to keep the game plan simple since he IS a rookie after all.

I'm sure they were, considering they've already said they've been running mirror image plays so he only has to choose which side of the field to focus on before the snap and only look that way afterwards. It kind of defeats the purpose of him though to have to tailor your gameplan to him, considering the advantage with him was that he supposedly already knew the offense.

Are that many people really surprised that a kid who only played about 20 games at QB in college has minor problems with his game he needs to fix after week 1??? It's obvious he has talent, and I think he overall looks pretty polished. Nobody thought he was going to win the MVP this year, and everybody said before the season he was going to take his lumps at times this year. Wake me up if Tannehill is having problems with this after he's been in the NFL for 20 games.

Well, did the practice end after the first pass? Was that the only one or did that keep happening? I understand why some people would get worry about this but what if it was just that one?

Ozzy rules!!

Dohhhhh . . . Exactly what I was thinking.

It was just one batted pass reported in practice lol Still though, Ryan needs to work on his mechanics.

If I was Coyle, I would tell the D-line to get there hands on every pass in practice, he has to learn how to avoid them

This is exactly what it is, we never heard or saw anything about this being a problem in training camp or hard knocks. The team saw the problem in the game and now they are having the defense simulate it in practice so he gets used to it because now EVERY team from here on out are going to be preaching to their Defense if they can't get to the QB that they need to get their hands up.

I don't remember him ever being rolled out in the game last week.

This was generally listed as one of his strengths, his mobility and his accuracy on the move.

Maybe they were trying to keep the game plan simple since he IS a rookie after all.

yeah they did… he was rolling 4-5x… last one was that out to Bess on the 1yd line… so yeah they tried getting him outside the cup… problem was most of that game, the Oline was in the crease, so the batted balls, sacks & hitting Long's hat with his throwing hand, etc..

man, from now till he plays his last down in the NFL, people on this board are going to be talking about this.Maybe players should just play 1 game in the NFL and then retired cause once you've done something in that first game you'll always do the same thing for every single game. We all that that Tanny's going to throw 54 INT's this year.Luck will throw 64 int's. G3 will have 32 TD's this year.

Ozzy rules!!

It seems like common sense that if you just had a game where 5 passes were tipped at the line of scrimmage you would try to duplicate the situation in PRACTICE so you could then work on fixing the problem. So the fact that passes are tipped in Practice does not concern me if it happens while they're trying to fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom