Scarlet Knights make AP poll | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scarlet Knights make AP poll

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
No joke. Rutgers is ranked.

The Scarlet Knights, long a college football laughingstock, moved Sunday into The Associated Press Top 25 for the first time in 30 years.

No. 23 Rutgers (4-0), led by tailback Ray Rice, the fourth-leading rusher in the nation, is off to its best start since 1980 after beating Howard 56-7 on Saturday.

"I'm not going to downplay it. It is significant considering where we started," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said. "It shows we're making progress in the right direction."

The Scarlet Knights were one of three new teams at the bottom of the new media poll, which was mostly unchanged at the top.

Ohio State is still No. 1 with 59 of a possible 65 first-place votes. No. 2 Auburn, No. 3 Southern California and No. 4 West Virginia each received two first-place votes.

Auburn had 1,513 points and USC had 1,491. The Tigers lead over the Trojans grew nines points from last week.

No. 5 is Florida, followed by Michigan, Texas, Louisville, LSU and Georgia. The only change in the Top 10 was No. 9 LSU flip-flopping with No. 10 Georgia.
Throughout the 1990s, the Scarlet Knights were among the worst teams in Division I-A, routinely getting blown out by their Big East rivals.

Last year, in Schiano's fifth season at the state university of New Jersey, Rutgers had its first winning year since 1992. The Knights went 7-5 and played in the Insight Bowl, their first bowl game since 1978.

The Knights have benefited from an early weak schedule -- three I-A opponents with a combined 4-8 record and a I-AA team -- but of course it wasn't long ago Rutgers couldn't beat anybody.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/09/24/bc.fbc.t25.collegefbpol.ap/index.html

I'm a fan of Rutgers, I'm friends with Mike Teel's family and coached his brother, they are from my town.

While they are doing great, they need to remember who they beat. They need to come out and make a statement Friday against USF, or it will be the same old Rutgers.

I am in a Fantasy College League where you pick 8 teams every week and get points for them based on different stats.....I have had Rutgers since the start of the year because they can score quickly and often. Good to see them playing so well after a lot of rough years. Reminds me a lot of Air Force when they were horrible, before Fisher DeBerry turned the program around.

Story about the Kid I know.

Rutgers' Teel remains undaunted
Tuesday, September 26, 2006

By ADITI KINKHABWALA
STAFF WRITER

Out on the sideline, in front of a crescent packed with his home fans, Greg Schiano's heart started to hurt a little.
His team was winning and despite not having the greatest of days, his 20-year-old quarterback still was making sure the team stayed undefeated. But through Schiano's headset, the one the Rutgers' coach likes to call a soundproof "muff," ugly noises were filtering through. Boos and yells directed at Mike Teel.

Shaking his head, his face contorting, Schiano looked over at his quarterback. And Teel laughed. At him.
"He's like, 'Coach, I'd boo me too,' " Schiano said Monday, shaking his head again, this time at the memory. "I feel bad, and he's saying, 'Hey, come on Coach.' That's the kind of kid he is. That's why as a coach, you fall in love with him."
At 4-0, there should be plenty to love about Teel. He has the unequivocal respect of all his teammates, captain Brian Leonard said. More importantly, he has the absolute like of all his teammates, and he wears a calm so impenetrable, it's contagious. And yet, with No. 23 Rutgers carrying its first ranking in 30 years, and a national ESPN2 audience awaiting its Friday night matchup at South Florida, Teel is getting booed. And doubted, and having his coach feeling protective.
"He's been just as big a part of winning these games as anybody," Schiano said.
Teel is not a kid who needs coddling (Schiano laughed at that) or demands ego-salving niceties (the coach flat-out snorted at that one). The 24-0 record he forged at Don Bosco came under an unyielding spotlight and a head coach in Greg Toal whom Schiano diplomatically called "very demanding."
Still, Teel is the first to say Rutgers' passing game has underperformed. He hasn't yet connected on any of the dizzying shots that highlight practice, his main praise thus far has come as a game manager and he had that awful three-pick Week 3.
After throwing 20 and 24 passes in the first two games -- and connecting on 28 while throwing just one pick -- Teel's had just 16 attempts in these past two games. The Scarlet Knights were running so well, Schiano didn't want to move away from that, but he admitted Monday that his passing allocation had him wondering, "Are we doing it enough?" Even Leonard said he thought the boos at first were for the play calling.
Teel's thrown a handful of deep balls, and there are a variety of reasons why none has stuck. Once his throw was flat, another time a receiver got held up, timing routes have been mis-timed, and with younger players spreading wide, Schiano said, "They're not [often] as precise."
"We're going to hit some of those shots and all of a sudden," he said, "there's not going to be any more conversation."
With more sympathy to those murmurs, Teel very rationally said he understood why Schiano's premises that he's "won" games in practice doesn't appease jittery fans. But his confidence remains high, as does his teammates' confidence in him.
Since the spring, Teel -- and the rest of the team -- has known he is Rutgers' quarterback. As dynamic as the run-gunning Jabu Lovelace is, he's never threatened to take over full-time duties and would have to take an enormous leap to displace Teel. And yet, even without the goal of unseating an elder player, or the fear of falling behind a younger one, Teel never altered his drive meter.
There might've been a handful of days this summer, at most, that he didn't take a wideout or two out to throw to. Schiano was vacationing with his family when one night, the phone rang, Teel and sophomore receivers Tiquan Underwood and Dennis Campbell on the other end, asking if they could get into the bubble because it was too dark to throw outside.
And that's why the boos get to his teammates. Sure, Teel wears an untroubled face in public, and yes, he doesn't react with any obvious fury over his miscues. But there is no one who wants more out of him, or demands more of him, than he does of himself.
"With Mike out there, you just feel it," Underwood said. "You know he's going to make good things happen, no matter what's going on around him."
And no matter what anyone else thinks about what's going on around him.

If their head coach bolts for the Miami job after this year, this program will fall apart. So, they better make a splash this year. What Schiano has done is amazing, but I don't know how long it will last if he isn't there

MikeO said:
If their head coach bolts for the Miami job after this year, this program will fall apart. So, they better make a splash this year. What Schiano has done is amazing, but I don't know how long it will last if he isn't there

I don't think Miami has a chance at him. He is from my next town, loves the area, and always says he wants to win a championship here. I just don't see him leaving yet.

And you can Argue Rutgers has a better team right now.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I don't think Miami has a chance at him. He is from my next town, loves the area, and always says he wants to win a championship here. I just don't see him leaving yet.

And you can Argue Rutgers has a better team right now.

1) You will NEVER win a championship at Rutgers

2) Miami is just a better job. The Miami job may get you an NFL gig someday. You can win a national championship at Miami. It's one of the Top 3 college coaching jobs out there along with ND and Texas.

3) Rutgers isn't better than Miami right now. For as bad as Miami is, Rutgers isn't better. I'm sorry. Beating UNC, Illnois, and Howard (div IAA) isn't that impressive. Please.

MikeO said:
1) You will NEVER win a championship at Rutgers

2) Miami is just a better job. The Miami job may get you an NFL gig someday. You can win a national championship at Miami. It's one of the Top 3 college coaching jobs out there along with ND and Texas.

3) Rutgers isn't better than Miami right now. For as bad as Miami is, Rutgers isn't better. I'm sorry. Beating UNC, Illnois, and Howard (div IAA) isn't that impressive. Please.

Holy **** I agreed with every word in that post :eek: the world is ending

Back
Top Bottom