Schlereth article | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schlereth article

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Many here will not agree with this article because it slams the Dolphins, but I agree with it. Incognito should never have been on the team to begin with, much less a "leader". Schlereth was a player, he knows what a NFL locker room should look like.

I've heard a lot of current and former football players evoke "the code" in regard to Martin's departure from his team.

• Handle your business like a man
• Don't air the team's dirty laundry to the public
• Stand up for yourself
• Punch him in the nose
• Don't run out on your teammates

Many have said Martin has broken "the code" and will never be welcomed back in the locker room. What about "the code" that says we love one another? We play hard for one another? We set aside our differences and bond together as one?

What about that fraternity, that code?

The code of championship locker rooms, in which men sacrifice for each other, in which they consider others more important than themselves, in which they embrace -- not ostracize -- each other. That's the locker room I grew up in and the code I adhere to, and my football career is filled with examples of reaching out, and looking out, for teammates.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10458607/lose-crucial-parts-code-nfl-locker-rooms

Last edited by a moderator:
mark works for BSPN now, so the good point he is making is designed for the public.

How bout all the bad you saw in all your years of playing Mark? Where is that truth?

NFL, get ready, language police coming with monitors.

And that's what can happen when a team is manned with leaders who have strong character, rather than a void of leadership among the players into which a sadist can step.

What a bunch of crap. He lost me when he started talking about how Martin was bullied.

Martin likely has a touch of a schizoid personality disorder. Look up the Mayo clinic definition of this character disorder. In a nutshell it speaks of naturally highly caring children being raised in a family that is generally speaking not very caring - often because they have no idea how to care about others nor the virtues and rewards that it produces.

Martin may be "depressed" and other things that go along with the underlying Schizoid Personality Disorder (even if he has just a touch of it) but these other aspects of his troubles are likely periphery to his core personality disorder (very moderate).

Miami needed a leader in that locker room and Philbin FAILED.

So while it was counter-indicated to put a loud mouthed nucklehead - Incongnito - in some kind of leaderless vacuum like the Dolphins locker room was, it stretches credulity to call what happened to Martin as bullying.

The way Schlereth was treated old school for his dyslexia while he was growing up and then comparing him to this Martin situation
leaves me outraged.

The NFL like any system closed ranks here.

What you really had happen was a virtual homicide/suicide - no one literally died - but their careers were likely killed to say nothing of public damage to their characters.

The real story here is the front office of the NFL and their extreme arrogance and utter disregard for their culpability in any of this.

Hazing and mean spirited teasing has been part of the NFL forever - who can blame them - its part of any warfare mentality.

But when it blew up in the NFL's faces in this Martin fiasco the NFL failed!

And Schlereth is part of that good ole boy network of NFL insiders who is closing ranks. He is part of the group think here that will take no responsibility for the culture the league advocated for duration of the league's life-span.

Articles like these only further guarantee a real homicide/suicide (God forbid) in the coming years.

Everyone is a victim when it pays to be a victim as is the case with Martin.

How bout all the bad you saw in all your years of playing Mark? Where is that truth?

Do you think it's conducive to winning championships when players try to break the spirit of their teammates?

I get why the Dolphin's situation was good for Incognito; he got to feed his demons. But I'd love to hear somebody make the case as to why it was good for the team that Incognito was a Dolphin. He certainly didn't make the players around him play better because we saw how good the Oline unit was when he was on the field. He certainly didn't pull the locker room together in a positive way.

He's into self-preservation valueing the paycheck he earns by having to work with all those do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do hypocritical racists and racist-enablers.

Do you think it's conducive to winning championships when players try to break the spirit of their teammates?

I get why the Dolphin's situation was good for Incognito; he got to feed his demons. But I'd love to hear somebody make the case as to why it was good for the team that Incognito was a Dolphin. He certainly didn't make the players around him play better because we saw how good the Oline unit was when he was on the field. He certainly didn't pull the locker room together in a positive way.
What you had here IMO was a void of leadership among the players, marked by the departures of Bush, Long, and Dansby, which gave Incognito's sadistic flair room to roam, with "permission" from Jim Turner's similar style, and which interacted poorly with Martin's particular personality dynamics.

An "oil and water" situation between Martin and Incognito, that grew bigger than it would normally be on a typical team, due to the void of player leadership on this team and the "backing" of one of the coaches.

What a bunch of crap. He lost me when he started talking about how Martin was bullied.

Martin likely has a touch of a schizoid personality disorder. Look up the Mayo clinic definition of this character disorder. In a nutshell it speaks of naturally highly caring children being raised in a family that is generally speaking not very caring - often because they have no idea how to care about others nor the virtues and rewards that it produces.

Martin may be "depressed" and other things that go along with the underlying Schizoid Personality Disorder (even if he has just a touch of it) but these other aspects of his troubles are likely periphery to his core personality disorder (very moderate).

Miami needed a leader in that locker room and Philbin FAILED.

So while it was counter-indicated to put a loud mouthed nucklehead - Incongnito - in some kind of leaderless vacuum like the Dolphins locker room was, it stretches credulity to call what happened to Martin as bullying.

The way Schlereth was treated old school for his dyslexia while he was growing up and then comparing him to this Martin situation
leaves me outraged.

The NFL like any system closed ranks here.

What you really had happen was a virtual homicide/suicide - no one literally died - but their careers were likely killed to say nothing of public damage to their characters.

The real story here is the front office of the NFL and their extreme arrogance and utter disregard for their culpability in any of this.

Hazing and mean spirited teasing has been part of the NFL forever - who can blame them - its part of any warfare mentality.

But when it blew up in the NFL's faces in this Martin fiasco the NFL failed!

And Schlereth is part of that good ole boy network of NFL insiders who is closing ranks. He is part of the group think here that will take no responsibility for the culture the league advocated for duration of the league's life-span.

Articles like these only further guarantee a real homicide/suicide (God forbid) in the coming years.

Everyone is a victim when it pays to be a victim as is the case with Martin.

Did you actually read any of the report? I can't think of many posters here who wouldn't prefer that Martin handled the situation differently, but saying that Martin wasn't bullied is just assinine. Look at some of the stuff that John Jerry said to him, on top of the obvious Incognito gems.

Martin likely has a touch of a schizoid personality disorder. Look up the Mayo clinic definition of this character disorder.

The person that was consulted on the Well's Report is a Board Certified Clinical Psychologist, an American Psychological Association Fellow, has more than 30 years of experience as a clinician, has spent more than 20 years providing consulting services to organizations and businesses regarding workplace behavior and dysfunction, and has maintained a private clinical psychology practice for more than 30 years.

But you read something on the Mayo Clinic website, so naturally your diagnosis is spot on and Dr. Berman must not know what he's talking about. :rotfl1:

I dont disagree with you there JTC, I said from the start that Incog went waaaaaaaaaaaay overboard and for too long into the second season.

Hazing should be banned period. This is a grown mans game. It doesnt do anything but make some rookie feel like a jackhole. But dont tell me that someone who cant speak up for themselves and take this issue to the proper chain of command does not deserve blame either.

Jmart could have easily talked to Joe Philbin about this. If Joe did his usual and ends up letting him go, then is this not what Jmart wanted anyways?

Weren't the Broncos known for crack-back blocks when he played? It isn't like he'd ever take the side against Martin, at least not in public.

Excuse me! wasn't Bill "roid rage, break an eye socket" Romanowski on his team? yeah i think he should just STFU.

Schlereth lost credibility when he opened his mouth on this. He played many season with Bill Romanowski, considered by many to be the sleaziest NFL in the modern era, see dealing drugs in the BALCO scandal and ending a teammates career (Marcus Williams) with a punch in practice.

Face it, there aren't any choir boys in this league. Even our beloved Danny Boy tainted himself with his love child. No one has any credibility when it comes to this situation current or former players.

Back
Top Bottom