Seau was part of... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seau was part of...

i know your gonna say, well we still got sammy knight if seau plays bad.. and while he is a playmaker, he is also making your overall defense slower, and is not a proven leader like seau is, i when i say "essentially the same" i say that meaning that seau is the big piece and sammy is not a monsterous upgrade over freeman who is a good player in his own right.

Originally posted by Tatonka
a team that started strong and collapsed the last two years.

why do you guys feel that he can come here and change the propensity the fins have shown for doing the same thing. starting strong and finishing weak.

this is not a flame, this is an straight forward question.

How bout the propensity of the Bills to start out weak and end up weak. I love Bills fans who put labels on teams as if they are not considered losers. gee.......4-12 and 8-8. what a joke. bills fans are so for real..............Not!

Dude, nobody said we have Sammy Knight is Seau plays bad. Here's the thing, even Seau not being his former self from 5-10 years ago, he still is an upgrade over Rodgers. If Seau doesn't perform to his fullest, we still have the rest of our #3 ranked defense.

Now to say Sammy is not a monstruous upgrade is just silly. Think, in the same time Freeman has had 1 INT at that position, Knight has had 16. That is an obvious upgrade. Try to also note that our SS is there mostly for inside and run support. To you our defense may be slower, but overall, what makes your defense fast is your corners and your DE's. We now have a heavy hitting safety that is going to intimidate the inside stuff, which hurt us last year.

While they might be slowing down, neither Knight or Seau has to play every down. We now have depth that will keep our whole defense fresher, as the season wears on. Besides, Knight was never considered fast and look at the career he's had.

fair enough.. BUT.. without seau, it is essentially the same defense that was completely healthy last year, and the several years before that .. a defense that has always been loaded with talent, but cant get over the hump. lucas didnt play on defense last time i looked.

i mean, honestly, you guys keep saying "role player" when you refer to seau, but the "role" you are refering to is motivator, or leader, or in some eyes, like phinmaster, savior.. my point is, seau has not been able to fufill that role on his own team for the past two years, as his play has declined, so has his defenses.

i just dont know that it will be different here.

So you are saying that Seau is not a motivator or leader?

Do you really believe that? If so, I question how long you have been following football and how much you know of other teams/players.

Even with his so called decline in play, Seau is still a beast...now with playmakers all around him, I think he is poised to have one of his best years here in Miami.

Re: Re: Seau was part of...

Originally posted by finfan54

How bout the propensity of the Bills to start out weak and end up weak. I love Bills fans who put labels on teams as if they are not considered losers. gee.......4-12 and 8-8. what a joke. bills fans are so for real..............Not!

Hey finfan, don't make them feel good. They went 3-13 the year before last.;)

a team that started strong and collapsed the last two years.

why do you guys feel that he can come here and change the propensity the fins have shown for doing the same thing. starting strong and finishing weak.

this is not a flame, this is an straight forward question.

Simply put, because nothing that happens to a team comes down to "one guy", just as there's no such thing as a team which was missing "one peice". It's a part of the problem. San Diego started strong and then collapsed. But it seemed to me that those collapses reflected more of a lack of talent than something mental. For Miami, it was ENTIRELY mental. Now, if the only thing this team did was bring Junior in, I'd say that we were looking at only a minor improvement. Couple that with Knight however, and you've got a BIG increase in the physicality of the D. You've also got the improvement in overall talent at the two positions. These are STILL minor improvements, but in my opinion, that's what was needed. Take a look at Ricky. He loses 30lbs and goes from a very good RB, to one of the top 1-2 RB's in the NFL. 30lbs on a guy who's 230-260 isn't a major improvement...it's just the exact minor improvement that was needed.

i know your gonna say, well we still got sammy knight if seau plays bad.. and while he is a playmaker, he is also making your overall defense slower, and is not a proven leader like seau is, i when i say "essentially the same" i say that meaning that seau is the big piece and sammy is not a monsterous upgrade over freeman who is a good player in his own right.

Ok, so go on and say that Miami made some stupid decisions in free agency by picking up Seau and Knight.

First you label Seau as being unable to motivate and provide leadership.

Now you are trying to dump on Sammy because a reporter says that he is slow? Do you have a clue how many plays he makes on the football field? Does that matter to you at all?

Ok, who is next on your hit list??

....and please do NOT claim to know what we are gonna say because obviously you have trouble understanding what you yourself are saying.

Exactly, you don't need to revamp a defense ranked #3, just minor tweaking.

Hey Tatonka, remember the same person who called Sammy Knight slow, is the same guy who said Ricky Williams is too slow to have the homerun ability. Haslett likes to toot his own horn and make that town feel good about losing some good players.

fair enough.. BUT.. without seau, it is essentially the same defense that was completely healthy last year, and the several years before that .. a defense that has always been loaded with talent, but cant get over the hump. lucas didnt play on defense last time i looked.

i mean, honestly, you guys keep saying "role player" when you refer to seau, but the "role" you are refering to is motivator, or leader, or in some eyes, like phinmaster, savior.. my point is, seau has not been able to fufill that role on his own team for the past two years, as his play has declined, so has his defenses.

i just dont know that it will be different here.

You're saying Seau never filled his "role" in SD? No, he's only a legacy there. He wasn't on a very good Defense like Miami, TB, Philly. Seaus declined numbers still are better then Spikes, so..I guess that says something ;). We'll see what happens..

You're right once again. We brought in a Safety who lead the league in the past 3 years in INTs and fumbles forced (probably something else as well) over a guy who has had a couple INTs in the past 3 season. No, that's not an upgrade :lol: :lol:

Not to mention Freeman has a bunch of support compared to Knight. Let's talk about McGahee for a sec..:eek:

Jerry Rice isn't the same player he was 10 years ago. Rod Woodson was a CB, before changing to FS and now he's playing SS. He's still better than most of the guys even tough he's slower and doesn't produce the same stats of 10 years ago. But they can still play at 40 !

Seau was hurt last year, so was Bledsoe 2 years ago. So why bring a QB that isn't consider a leader anymore from his former team ? Because he's a proven player. A former multi probowler. He was an upgrade over any QB Buffalo had.

Seau he's healthy and he will have the same impact that Bledsoe had last year.

Buffalo were loaded of talent at offense, so they went after a great QB and he elevated them to a top 5 offense last year (IMO).

Miami is more than loaded at defense, but they lacked a fiery attitude and playmaking abilities to kill their opponents. They went after Seau,Knight,Buckley,Zgonina.

Make the math...

IMO, you can't motivate an unmotivated group. As fiery and ambitious as Seau was for the Chargers, it seemed to me that their Defense played on an individual bases. I've watched a ton of San Diego games being that I live in Los Angeles, and it seemed that after their SB appearance, nothing short of Christ's second coming could motivate that team (defense). Even still, Seau continued to lead by example. Kept his head and played with the same intensity every single down he was in there for. Now on the flip side, Miami is more than ready to be motivated. They are sick and tired of this late season debacle and they know all it may take to make that quantam leap is that piece of the puzzle that's been missing for so long. Could Seau make that kind of impact? Maybe, maybe not. But until the season starts we will not know. From what I've seen so for though, is a buzz around the players as evidence from statements of players, interviews, and mini-camp that I haven't seen from this team in many, many years. While I may be wrong and this is just my two cents, there is really know way to tell what's to come. And honestly an unfair pre-judgement to a guy that's headed to the HOF and terrorized QB's, RB's and WR's for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom