Seau Worrying AFC East | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seau Worrying AFC East

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.sun-sentinel.com/spor...226.column

I would be so happy if the Dolphins could land Spikes.

That's just what we need for our defense.

Thats from another Phins messege board....but link doesn't work..cuz its old.

Of course they would ......they signed Seau and kept Zach didn't they?....what part of OUTSIDE line backer are you missing? The Dolphins have expressed interest in any OUTSIDE line backer that hit tha market...there were reports about Colvin And Simmons and Peterson that said Miami may be interested but the interest was never to replace the MIDDLE line backer....it was always with the intent of up grading the OUTSIDE linebacker position....always.
They say they want to patch up their OLB, and you'll probably say thats not Zach's position....but if they sign Spikes.....would they keep Zach Thomas?

Like I said, Spikes can play MLB, and the Benglas would have put him there and moved simmons out. That is why they signed Hardy to play middle and put simmons out. But even if they got spikes to fill in their outside LB needs, you think they would keep Zach thomas past his contract. I don't think they would sign 10 millino a year on their LB corp. If Phins signed Spikes, which looks like they had interest in, rather than someone earlier said "they never had talks", Zach would have been traded.

I gotta say, it's an interesting theory.....however, I think in the interest of a Super Bowl championship, that Zach and Spikes would have played side by side for a year before Zach became a FA after the season rather than trade him away.....I don't think they would have felt comfortable enough with Spikes coming in and performing as well as Zach in the middle....and I'm not talking so much physical ability as I am the mental side....Zach makes all the dfensive calls and is one of the smartest LBers in the game......Now, I'm not saying that Spikes wouldn't be great if given the chance, I just don't think that the braintrust would be so quick to give up a known, extraordinary commodity for a somewhat unknown commodity.....I think they would think that the benefits of having Zach and Spikes side by side would outweigh the benefits of Spikes in the middle and whatever possible 1st or 2nd round daft pick we would get for Zach.....especially if a Championship is the most important thing right?

The Dolphins would have NEVER gotten rid of Thomas to sign Spikes. The Fins wanted to sign Spikes but knew it was unrealistic. They wanted Spikes to be an OUTSIDE linebacker because that was a whole on our team. We pursued Seau because we had two ****ty OLBs last year. The Dolphins would have definitely kept Thomas if we signed Spikes, but we have SEAU so it doesn't matter!

Originally posted by PhinPhreak

Number three, isn't it funy how great the Bills fans think Donahue is, when back before he went to the Bills he was almos with the Fins. Then I bet it would be a different story about how much of a genius he is.

i dont think so.. it is not just bills fans that are aplauding the work Tom Donahoe and Tom Modrak have and are doing in buffalo..

i also think spielman has done a fine job in miami.. i cant really think of a move that TD would have made better than what you guys have done in the last two years..

you got ricky.. your draft has been decent, considering the lack of picks.. now, i dont know what your gm has set your cap to look like in the next couple years.. but you guys got a lot of probowlers.. so a salary cap with that many high priced players is bound to get a little out of control at some point.. i know buffalo's did before TD was there..

This is getting ridiculous. I don't even know what BillsCAfan is trying to tell us. Now not only is Spikes better than Seau but he's a better MLB than the guy who started for the AFC Pro Bowl team last season and led the league in tackles. Miami would have never traded Zach Thomas and as far as I knew they were no more interested in signing Takeo Spikes than Roosevelt Colvin. Either would have been good prospects to fill there biggest need OLB. If you replace Thomas with a guy who is below, at or above his skill level you still have 2 stiffs at OLB. This would accomplish nothing for a Dolphins D that has an all-pro MLB and 2 guys nobody even knows playing OLB. BillCAfan I know you're having a tough time with this Seau signing and all but give me a break. I didn't go through all of the links you posted but from what I can see they look like oipinion. Unless I heard this from a Miami Dolphin source I would NEVER buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with Bills' hypo is that we know what the reason for the stall in the contract talks with Zach. The amount was not in question once Brookings signed. The hangup was over the structure of the bonus. It had nothing to do with Spikes. We know this b/c both Spielman and Rosenhaus discussed this. Also regarding Spikes, Spielman said they would be interested but didn't think they could make an offer that Cincy wouldn't match.

I am a die-hard Dolphinfan, but i have to admit Donaho had done a great job in Buffalo. Spielman has done just as well in Miami, and yes Belichick had done a nice job in New England. The Jets have had a rough offseason thanx 2 everyones new 2nd fave team redskins. Thanx Daniel Snyder. I think year in and year out this is definitely the toughest division in football. The GMs take excellent care of the cap and usually have above average drafts and offseason manuevers. I applaud the AFC EAST as a whole, and i know that playing in and winning this division definitely prepares you to win the Super Bowl.THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE PHINS!!!!!!!!

Why has this thread gotten so long? Spikes is with the Bills. Seau is here w/ the Dolphins. This just shows that football seems so far away if we're squabbling (or DISCUSSING if you like that word instead) about silly things like this.

Originally posted by Samphin
Good, also I think it might be a moot point, but the AFC East has ome killer linebackers. Thomas, Seau, Spikes, Colvin. Throw in quality to great runningbacks in Henry, Williams, and Martin and this could be the new black and blue division. Every team has good quality talent. Man I can't wait for he season to begin.

rooselvelt colvin is not that good. jed weaver made colvin look stupid on monday night. so did ricky.

Seau will make those dogs in New York, Boston, and Buffalo roast in hell!

He will eat their stomachs and kill their children for 10 generations!

Originally posted by buffman
Seau is alright, but he doesn't scare teams like he used to.

I would expect some low scores in the divisional games this year. Everyone in the division has a good defense.

He certainly scares teams more than Derrick Rodgers does, and that's why we went after him...

Chemistry is important yep no doubt, Seau is a team guy and a class guy, he will fit in well. He and Zach are already friends, so he already has credibility on this team.

As far as the bills go, yes they have had a nice offseason and I think they are going to be tough. Spikes is awesome, I will freely admit I wanted him and hated the bills did.

As far as comparing Seau with us to Seau w/ SD, you know more than that don't you? You are not worried about him cuase w/ SD you beat them? You beat SD not Seau, so did we, that doesn't mean Seau wasn't there making any plays. The SD defense as a whole was weak, not Seau. Don't worry about Seau if you like, bet the Bills are though, just like we are with Spikes and Colvin. ALL East teams will look at the opposite teams and plan for the additions made by the other, can't not, or could wind up holding the bag.

Back
Top Bottom