Seems Reasonable | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seems Reasonable

Rmerrill2

Active Roster
Reaction score

Miami Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa is more scrutinized than previous QBs​

Tua Tagovailoa will be more than just fine. I expect him to be great. In the small sample size of this past season, I came away far more impressed than being left with a negative impression. When the offense opened up, he played really well. There is a lot to learn and unlike Herbert, Tagovailoa didn’t have top receivers to throw to. He threw to Jakeem Grant, Mack Hollins, Isaiah Ford, and yes, DeVante Parker who didn’t have as good a season as many hoped.

Tagovailoa had a suspect running back that was stuck behind a line that included three rookie starters. He took his licks and he got back up silencing those who thought his hip was now garbage. Tagovailoa has battled back at every stop along his career when he was told he couldn’t do something. He has turned it into motivation. Hopefully, all of this negative talk will turn to motivation. I suspect it will.

With a full off-season ahead, more than few months removed from his injury, and with a better offensive system and better supporting cast, Tagovailoa will be just fine and if the Texans don’t want him, good, I don’t want to give him to them anyways.

The two benchings when Fitzpatrick was able to take a dormant offense and ignite it was significant. Particularly since many considered Fitzpatrick a below average, journeyman not capable of leading a team to a shot at the playoffs. The Broncos and Raider games removed all excuses it was the players around him, and the only justification left was it had to be the Gailey was calling different plays that was the problem in Tua's defense.

Burrow and Herbet's success, particularly Herbert since Miami could have drafted him was also a factor.

There are more reasons, but those are the main ones imo.

Last edited:
It is what it is. He may, just need more time. If true, that he's not well thought of by Houston in these supposed trade scenarios could be telling. As for now got to support Tua and hope for the best moving forward. I'm of the thinking, Gailey didn't help him by restricting him. He also didn't get the support on the field via dropped passes by his receivers. Lets hope that all changes with another off season of quality additions.

The two benchings when Fitzpatrick was able to take a dormant offense and ignite it was significant. Particularly since many considered Fitzpatrick a below average, journeyman not capable of leading an team to a shot at the playoffs. The Broncos and Raider games removed all excuses it was the players around him, and the only justification left was it had to be the Gailey was calling different plays that was the problem in Tua's defense.

Burrow and Herbet's success, particularly Herbert since Miami could have drafted him was also a factor.

How in the world did the Broncos and Raider games remove all excuses it was the players around him instead of Tua himself?

Most people who aren't delusional already know it's a little of column A and a little of column B. If you want to fall into a single group, go right ahead.

How in the world did the Broncos and Raider games remove all excuses it was the players around him instead of Tua himself?

Most people who aren't delusional already know it's a little of column A and a little of column B. If you want to fall into a single group, go right ahead.
Sounds like you really personalized my post.

Thank you for your permission on how I am grouped. That means a lot me. 😀

MODS can we PLEASE move this to the other 1000x Anti-Tua threads? We really don't need another one.

"Tua Tagovailoa will be more than just fine. I expect him to be great. In the small sample size of this past season, I came away far more impressed than being left with a negative impression. When the offense opened up, he played really well. There is a lot to learn and unlike Herbert, Tagovailoa didn’t have top receivers to throw to. He threw to Jakeem Grant, Mack Hollins, Isaiah Ford, and yes, DeVante Parker who didn’t have as good a season as many hoped.

Tagovailoa had a suspect running back that was stuck behind a line that included three rookie starters. He took his licks and he got back up silencing those who thought his hip was now garbage. Tagovailoa has battled back at every stop along his career when he was told he couldn’t do something. He has turned it into motivation. Hopefully, all of this negative talk will turn to motivation. I suspect it will.

With a full off-season ahead, more than few months removed from his injury, and with a better offensive system and better supporting cast, Tagovailoa will be just fine and if the Texans don’t want him, good, I don’t want to give him to them anyways."

Sounds positive to me

The two benchings when Fitzpatrick was able to take a dormant offense and ignite it was significant. Particularly since many considered Fitzpatrick a below average, journeyman not capable of leading an team to a shot at the playoffs. The Broncos and Raider games removed all excuses it was the players around him, and the only justification left was it had to be the Gailey was calling different plays that was the problem in Tua's defense.

Sorry, but why is Burrow's season considered a resounding success compared to Tua's?

He threw 2 more TDs than Tua on 100 more attempts. He also had AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, and Tee Higgins as receivers.

People also thinking Tua was gunshy...Fitz had the 2nd highest percentage of "Aggressive Throws" in the NFL. Tua was 6th in the NFL in aggressive throws.

Parker and Gesicki were the 2nd worst and 3rd worst receivers in the NFL in terms of average separation, as well.

Sorry, but why is Burrow's season considered a resounding success compared to Tua's?

He threw 2 more TDs than Tua on 100 more attempts. He also had AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, and Tee Higgins as receivers.

People also thinking Tua was gunshy...Fitz had the 2nd highest percentage of "Aggressive Throws" in the NFL. Tua was 6th in the NFL in aggressive throws.

Parker and Gesicki were the 2nd worst and 3rd worst receivers in the NFL in terms of average separation, as well.
Don't forget Preston Williams who was also bottom 5 until he fell off the list due to his injury and not enough catches to qualify anymore.

Wasn't there something about Tua getting the ball out in like under 2.5 seconds? Isn't it rare for big receivers to get a whole lot of separation in that amount of time? (Especially when the D doesn't have to respect the run) Also, when Tua was benched, Fitz didn't seem to have much of a problem getting the ball to Parker and Gesicki.

Parker and Gesicki are good. Yes, we need a slot guy.

Broken record.

Wasn't there something about Tua getting the ball out in like under 3 seconds? Isn't it rare for big receivers to get a whole lot of separation in that amount of time? (Especially when the D doesn't have to respect the run) Also, when Tua was benched, Fitz didn't seem to have much of a problem getting the ball to Parker and Gesicki.

Parker and Gesicki are good. Yes, we need a slot guy.
Fitz plays YOLO QB. Always has, always will. Tua is going to try and actually play QB the way it's supposed to be played. Sometimes the YOLO way works better when guys can't get open.

Also, Fitz absolutely processed the offense faster. Tua sometimes took too long and ate sacks because of it. You'll notice in both games that Tua was pulled, it was after multiple possessions of eating sacks. My guess he was pulled because in those cases he wasn't processing fast enough that his own safety was at stake.

Miami Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa is more scrutinized than previous QBs​

He threw to Jakeem Grant, Mack Hollins, Isaiah Ford, and yes, DeVante Parker who didn’t have as good a season as many hoped.
You left out Edward Scissorhands and Ray Charles...

Broken record.
Funny, I am actually a Tua fan. I still have faith in him. I expect him to be significantly better.

I gave my opinion as to why he was more scrutinized which is what this thread is about.

If you someone couldn’t see that Miami’s offense was far more effective with Fitz last year then the only thing that was broken is their eyeballs.

I love Fitz but he's always been one to throw a lot of 50/50 balls. When DVP and Gesicki are at their best, they win those and Fitz looks great. Other times it ends up being a pick and he looks awful. I imagine Tua just didn't feel comfortable doing that. Hell, one of the times he tried, DVP fell and it went for a pick 6. Now it's also true that Tua himself killed some drives. There were plays where his timing seemed off or he just missed an open guy. He will have to get better, but too many people seem to be thinking it's a foregone conclusion that he won't get better and I have no idea why.

Back
Top Bottom