Seems Reasonable | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seems Reasonable

I'm all for giving Tua some time , I'm not a Tua cultist but I was ecstatic at the pick , so let's give the man some time before writing him off . A new offensive coordinator and more time for Tua to get over his devastating injury and I believe we are good to go. Going to put my faith in Flores, Grier, and the scouts on this one.

Tua gets his feet wet this season can only be a good thing for the Dolphins.
Now he can rest then train his whole body for next season.
Everyone knows he needs playmakers and his former teammates are ready to be picked by the Fins.
This rush to judgement is quite sad as he is neither a bust or the second coming of Marino.
I believe Grier tried to fix the defense last off season now for or offence.

This idea that Fitzpatrick didn't struggle with our lack of weapons/running game is kinda weird, tbh.

Or do people forget the second Jets game where he was the starter and our offense still looked like garbage? And that was with DVP and Gesicki playing, yet we could barely move the football and only managed to score 20 points. Against the freakin' Jets.

Did he look more comfortable in the offense than Tua? Absolutely, but that's mainly due to his familiarity with the OC, the system, and his receivers. Tua didn't have that familiarity and it showed.

Saying that we don't have enough weapons on offense is not an excuse for Tua, it's a fact. Our running game was once again almost non-existent throughout the year. Our receivers, even when healthy, were amongst the worst at generating separation. Not even going to talk about the injuries that happened late in the season that depleted an already limited offensive group.

Unless we get some playmakers through FA and the draft, it won't matter who the QB or even who the OC is in 2021. Hopefully Grier and Flores can see that.

Sorry, but why is Burrow's season considered a resounding success compared to Tua's?

He threw 2 more TDs than Tua on 100 more attempts. He also had AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, and Tee Higgins as receivers.

People also thinking Tua was gunshy...Fitz had the 2nd highest percentage of "Aggressive Throws" in the NFL. Tua was 6th in the NFL in aggressive throws.

Parker and Gesicki were the 2nd worst and 3rd worst receivers in the NFL in terms of average separation, as well.
I understand Parker not getting separation as his body type and speed scream, “tight window / jump ball guy”. But Gesicki should be running wild via play design and mis-matches. What gives?

Funny, I am actually a Tua fan. I still have faith in him. I expect him to be significantly better.

I gave my opinion as to why he was more scrutinized which is what this thread is about.

If you someone couldn’t see that Miami’s offense was far more effective with Fitz last year then the only thing that was broken is their eyeballs.

Na, I just understand the 17 year vet dynamic that is a part of the equation.

Yes the offense was alot more effecient with Fitz, there's no doubting that. The problem is it was also more INT prone, the offense INT% was doubled when lead by Fitz... The cost of moving this practice squad level receivers was always to be a high level of risk, no way around it. Some games that risk was needed, in others not so much...

If you're looking to move this offense at all cost for a win, its much easier to tell a 15 year vet whose been careless his entire career to go out there and do it than try and tell a kid who's thrown 11 INTs his entire college career to go out there and wing it. Nevermind that, its probably not what your trying to teach him in the first place.

I understand Parker not getting separation as his body type and speed scream, “tight window / jump ball guy”. But Gesicki should be running wild via play design and mis-matches. What gives?

I just don't think he's very good to be honest. Consistency is his big issue one game he can look awesome make spectacular grabs, next you forget he's even playing. He didn't take his game to the next level in 2020, that might be because he just isn't comfortable playing alongside Tua but since that's our future right now, I question his fit with this team especially as he enters a contract year.

The two benchings when Fitzpatrick was able to take a dormant offense and ignite it was significant. Particularly since many considered Fitzpatrick a below average, journeyman not capable of leading an team to a shot at the playoffs. The Broncos and Raider games removed all excuses it was the players around him, and the only justification left was it had to be the Gailey was calling different plays that was the problem in Tua's defense.

Burrow and Herbet's success, particularly Herbert since Miami could have drafted him was also a factor.

There are more reasons, but those are the main ones imo.
Being a relief pitcher can naturally ignite a spark and create big plays. Offense is usually stagnant. Team is behind. Defense is playing to prevent a bug play only. It’s far different than starting a game. So it’s unfair to compare because we have the starting record of a guy named Fitz. And it’s not good. And it’s over many seasons.

Haha, didnt even read the article and went crying to the mods!!

The OP posted the entire article at first and it did start off with only the negative stuff
I edit it because you are only allow to post the title and a link plus a few paragraphs so that's why he complained
Turned out most of the article was positive

Move on please. Thanks

Once he proved a threat, he was doubled a bit more. Who else from the Dolphins scares a defense in 1 on 1 matchups?

Being a relief pitcher can naturally ignite a spark and create big plays. Offense is usually stagnant. Team is behind. Defense is playing to prevent a bug play only. It’s far different than starting a game. So it’s unfair to compare because we have the starting record of a guy named Fitz. And it’s not good. And it’s over many seasons.
The only problem with that rationalization is that when Fitz was benched after 6 games as a starter Miami was averaging 26.9 ppg on offense. There were no defensive or ST TDs at that point. There were no OTAs or preseason games in which 4 new OL including 2 rookies could build cohesion.

Only 4 Dolphin teams averaged more 26.9 ppg than that in Miami's 54 year history...1972 Dolphins, 1984-86 Dolphins. When the defensive and ST TDs for those teams are removed from their PPG, the Dolphins under Fitz this year would be the 2nd highest scoring offense in Dolphins history behind only the 1984 team in which Marino through 48 TDs.

I am not bashing Tua. I think he has the goods. And I agree the offense needs weapons around him. I am advocate of drafting 2 WRs and a RB with the first 4 picks.

I was also an advocate of sitting Tua all year long given he was coming off serious hip injury, there were no OTAs or preseason games. So I am not arguing he isn't going to be a franchise QB. The 3 QBs currently playing that will be considered top 10 all-time, if not top 5, and 1 is definitely #1 (Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes) all sat their first year.

My original post was about Tua receiving so much scrutiny and stated my opinion the top two reasons I thought that was the case.

I guess we will know better when most of our receivers are not on injured reserve or better yet find some that can catch and put Grant back on special teams where he belongs.

I’m all for giving him a chance with better offensive talent. He has to show he’s worthy.
Impossible already. Once doubt sinks in, it's almost impossible to dig oneself out. This includes teammates. If Flores doesn't get rid of those teammates who spoke ill of Tua, it'll only fester and grow louder with every passing mistake. Now the only thing left is to either cut or trade Tua. Tua can't be himself and play freely.

Back
Top Bottom