Senior Bowl is around the corner.....here's some info | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl is around the corner.....here's some info

ior Bowl Rumors Thursday
Updated Jan. 23, 2020
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl, there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from around the league from the fourth day of the 2020 Senior Bowl week.

• For a lot of the 2020 NFL Draft process, there have been connections of the Miami Dolphins and Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. The Dolphins have done a fire sale to acquire a boatload of picks to build around a young franchise quarterback, and they could be in position to land Tagovailoa with their selection at fifth-overall in the 2020 NFL Draft. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross traveled twice last fall to watch Tagovailoa in person, a rare occurrence for a team owner. In speaking to sources with the Miami organization, it sounds like Tagovailoa going to Miami with that pick is a near lock. The organization is behind him, and he has been the plan for a long time.

Of course, a lot could change in the leadup to the 2020 NFL Draft, and Tagovailoa will have some critical medical exams in the months to come. If those go poorly, that might cause a change of thinking for Miami's front office. Also another team could trade up ahead of the Dolphins to take Tagovailoa because there are three teams picking ahead of them that could want to move down. Thus, the Dolphins will do their due diligence on Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert as a potential Plan B. Right now, howver, sources with Miami say Tagovailoa going to the Dolphins with the fourth pick could be as close to a lock as there is at this early point in the draft process.

• After the fifth pick, the Dolphins' next selection is at 18th overall, and it sounds like they want an offensive tackle at that pick from speaking sources with the team. Alabama's Jedrick Wills is the top target if he gets there. The Dolphins love Wills, and they badly need to improve their edge blocking after trading away Laremy Tunsil. They paid close attention to Wills while traveling to watch Tagovailoa. Wills could be off the board by No. 18, so other options Miami could consider include Georgia's Andrew Thomas, Iowa's Tristan Wirfs and Louisville's Mekhi Becton. Thomas and Becton will probably be long gone by that point given the number of potential landing spots for these tackles. In their highest hopes, it sounds like the Dolphins will follow up on Tagovailoa by taking his blind-side protector from Alabama.

ior Bowl Rumors Thursday
Updated Jan. 23, 2020

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl, there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from around the league from the fourth day of the 2020 Senior Bowl week.

• For a lot of the 2020 NFL Draft process, there have been connections of the Miami Dolphins and Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. The Dolphins have done a fire sale to acquire a boatload of picks to build around a young franchise quarterback, and they could be in position to land Tagovailoa with their selection at fifth-overall in the 2020 NFL Draft. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross traveled twice last fall to watch Tagovailoa in person, a rare occurrence for a team owner. In speaking to sources with the Miami organization, it sounds like Tagovailoa going to Miami with that pick is a near lock. The organization is behind him, and he has been the plan for a long time.

Of course, a lot could change in the leadup to the 2020 NFL Draft, and Tagovailoa will have some critical medical exams in the months to come. If those go poorly, that might cause a change of thinking for Miami's front office. Also another team could trade up ahead of the Dolphins to take Tagovailoa because there are three teams picking ahead of them that could want to move down. Thus, the Dolphins will do their due diligence on Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert as a potential Plan B. Right now, howver, sources with Miami say Tagovailoa going to the Dolphins with the fourth pick could be as close to a lock as there is at this early point in the draft process.

• After the fifth pick, the Dolphins' next selection is at 18th overall, and it sounds like they want an offensive tackle at that pick from speaking sources with the team. Alabama's Jedrick Wills is the top target if he gets there. The Dolphins love Wills, and they badly need to improve their edge blocking after trading away Laremy Tunsil. They paid close attention to Wills while traveling to watch Tagovailoa. Wills could be off the board by No. 18, so other options Miami could consider include Georgia's Andrew Thomas, Iowa's Tristan Wirfs and Louisville's Mekhi Becton. Thomas and Becton will probably be long gone by that point given the number of potential landing spots for these tackles. In their highest hopes, it sounds like the Dolphins will follow up on Tagovailoa by taking his blind-side protector from Alabama.

We aren't doing a particularly good job of hiding our Tua love are we ? This could be one massive smoke screen but I doubt it.

Think we need to look beyond those top 4 tackles in the draft, I wouldn't be shocked if all are gone by 18, Josh Jones had a great senior bowl practice after day one apparently according to DJ and Bucky so I hope we are looking at him, we may need to go early at edge too to get one of those elite guys, I still have a dream about one of the top wideots and running backs, lots of places to spend our picks on.

We aren't doing a particularly good job of hiding our Tua love are we ? This could be one massive smoke screen but I doubt it.

Think we need to look beyond those top 4 tackles in the draft, I wouldn't be shocked if all are gone by 18, Josh Jones had a great senior bowl practice after day one apparently according to DJ and Bucky so I hope we are looking at him, we may need to go early at edge too to get one of those elite guys, I still have a dream about one of the top wideots and running backs, lots of places to spend our picks on.
Every year QB's get drafted higher than people think they will but it happens with OT's as well. I can see 6 OT's going in the first round.

Guys - there's zero chance the Dolphins top brass is going into this offseason only looking at first round OTs.

I honestly think anyone expecting 3 OL in our first 4-5 picks are going to be very disappointed. THEY ARE VALUE DIVING. THEY HAVE THIS LUXURY. You try to find your 3-5th round guys, your UDFA, your backup who is ready to explode into a starter role... you go after ALL of it!

I see them going after any value they find. I see that value in the 18th and 26th picks, not 5. Honestly, I wouldn't even hate if we tried to turn 26 into a 2 + future 1. That's it.

As far as OL... were looking for lots of guys in the 3.4.5 range for that reason alone. When you need 3-4 of one thing, you are best to try to find it anywhere and everywhere you can find it, and with OL it really feels like you can hit on any round, so long as you keep taking shots.

Jordan Love has been suepr inconsistent and likley hurt himself in the sense his stock is the same.

I don't care which QB we get. I would like a healthy Tua to fall to us at 5, only because I want the two other 1st rounders. That said, I wouldn't be pissed if the pick is Love or Herbert.

My reason for this post is to dispel a viewpoint that has only the smallest amount of truth so as not to be able to be labeled an outright lie. Jordan Love increased his draft stock in these Senior Bowl practices:

https://nflmocks.com/2020/01/22/senior-bowl-notes-love-dugger-day-two/

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/2020-senior-bowl-jordan-loves-1st-round-hype-real

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020...ee-anae-francis-bernard-senior-bowl-zack-moss

If you are a 100% Tua guy (not saying you are), there is a way you can keep him in the front of your mind without presenting a false narrative about his competition.

Some notes from the senior bowl

• After a survey of team sources, here are the players who stood out for interviewing well at the Senior Bowl:
    • Florida wide receiver Van Jefferson
    • Dayton tight end Adam Trautman
    • Southern Illinois safety Jeremy Chinn
    • Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert
    • Temple offensive lineman Matt Hennessy
    • Utah cornerback Terrell Burgess

• Since the start of the 2020 NFL Draft process, many projected Alabama wide receiver Jerry Jeudy to be a top-five pick, including myself. However after speaking to a few team sources, they feel Jeudy could go lower than than that, perhaps in the No. 6-16 range. The main reason is size, as Jeudy is listed at 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, which is not very big for a No. 1 receiver. The other issue hurting Jeudy is how strong and deep the 2020 NFL Draft is at receiver. Teams picking high in the first round know a first-round caliber receiver will probably be available to them in Round 2, so they can get a top-five talent at a different position that does not have as good of options in the second round that wide receiver does. Thus, Jeudy could end up going lower than the typical projection during the 2019 season.

All this I found on walterfootball.com

nior Bowl Rumors Friday
Updated Jan. 24, 2020

Almost all of the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl left town after Thursday's practice. But with all of those evaluators present, there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from around the league on the fiftth day of the 2020 Senior Bowl week.

• From speaking with sources, it sounds like the New York Jets' initial inclination is to go with an offensive tackle or cornerback with their first-round pick. The Jets have the 11th-overall pick, so there should be some good options available as the 2020 NFL Draft has a strong class of offensive tackle talent. Team sources say there could be four tackles who go as top-20 pick, with that group consisting of Georgia's Andrew Thomas, Louisville's Mekhi Becton, Iowa's Tristan Wirfs and Alabama's Jedrick Wills. One source thought Becton could be a fit for New York from those four.

At cornerback, Ohio State's Jeff Okudah will probably be off the board. Florida's C.J. Henderson could be the next cornerback to get selected, but Henderson's weak tackling could cause some teams to not view him as being worthy of going that high.

I asked about Alabama wide receiver Jerry Jeudy or another one of the talented wideouts, like Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb or Colorado's Laviska Shenault, but team sources didn't think New York would go that direction. This is a strong draft for wideouts, so the Jets could land a good talent at that position on the second day. It sounded like theteam also might look to the free agency market for receiver talent.

Additionally, new Jets general manager Joe Douglas comes from Philadelphia, and the Eagles were a team that devoted a lot of resources toward building their offensive and defensive line. Thus, sources believe the Jets' inclination will be toward addressing the offensive line with one of those edge protectors for Sam Darnold
This is mostly about the jets but they're on our division so I decided to post it

I don't care which QB we get. I would like a healthy Tua to fall to us at 5, only because I want the two other 1st rounders. That said, I wouldn't be pissed if the pick is Love or Herbert.

My reason for this post is to dispel a viewpoint that has only the smallest amount of truth so as not to be able to be labeled an outright lie. Jordan Love increased his draft stock in these Senior Bowl practices:

https://nflmocks.com/2020/01/22/senior-bowl-notes-love-dugger-day-two/

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/2020-senior-bowl-jordan-loves-1st-round-hype-real

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020...ee-anae-francis-bernard-senior-bowl-zack-moss

If you are a 100% Tua guy (not saying you are), there is a way you can keep him in the front of your mind without presenting a false narrative about his competition.

I do not have an agenda vs Love I think he is a mid first round guy and after last week still is a mid first round guy. If you went back in my post history I said if he kills the off season starting with senior bowl week he could be #5 pick overall if Tua hadnt declared. Thinking he could jump Herbert as QB2. I watched the practices when they were aired. Many of the people commentating the event said the only thing that was consistent about his week was his inconsistency. In his 2 minute drills he was off target badly with overthrows, INTs and bad ball placement. Day one of the workouts it was mentioned several times he just wasnt in sync with his receivers, and if he wasnt sharp against air how could he improve his stock? People know his measurements and physical tools. So to call my post an outright lie because you found a few articles suggesting he is what i think he is, a 1st round pick but more of a mid first round pick then do you man. He didnt help his stock it stayed the same, he was like 12-15 and I believe people still view him that way. He still has the combine, private workouts etc etc to build himself up. If he shows well there top 10 pick is a possibility.

Never said he was some scrub, said he didnt kill it and improve his stock.

Last edited:
I have to ask just once... STOP MISUSING THE WORDS NARRATIVE AND AGENDA. EVERYONE.

That being said... Ive never seen such devotion to a prospect like I have Tua. I also haven't seen so much hatred of a kid who hasn't worn a Dolphins uniform... ever.

We are one divided group!

I'd like it to be actual competition. If available, draft Tua and Love. Those skill sets are so high it seems likely at least one would pan out big. Plus there is also plenty of diversity in their games.

The complimentary pieces don't interest me in the slightest. I try to read the summaries of players at other positions but I keep wondering why anyone bothers or anyone cares. A football team with nice tackles and a nothing quarterback is like a golfer who can't putt. No reason to follow that player at all. In a make/miss sport it's going to be one miss after another, just like the quarterback.

Devoting 2 picks to quarterback is going to steadily become more accepted. The tentative version is something like the Cardinals did with Rosen then Murray in consecutive years. If the Giants or Redskins were smart they would attempt the same thing this year. But it's still a scared league overly devoted to conventional wisdom. Fairly soon that type of tired approach will wear away and it won't be unheard of to draft multiple quarterbacks high in the same draft. Not every general manager is going to be the petrified type. Once young general managers are more in vogue then it's even more likely that barriers will be broken. Analytics types will fill those roles. But the league is still stuck in this stupid idea that general managers have to be 40s or older.

I'd like it to be actual competition. If available, draft Tua and Love. Those skill sets are so high it seems likely at least one would pan out big. Plus there is also plenty of diversity in their games.

The complimentary pieces don't interest me in the slightest. I try to read the summaries of players at other positions but I keep wondering why anyone bothers or anyone cares. A football team with nice tackles and a nothing quarterback is like a golfer who can't putt. No reason to follow that player at all. In a make/miss sport it's going to be one miss after another, just like the quarterback.

Devoting 2 picks to quarterback is going to steadily become more accepted. The tentative version is something like the Cardinals did with Rosen then Murray in consecutive years. If the Giants or Redskins were smart they would attempt the same thing this year. But it's still a scared league overly devoted to conventional wisdom. Fairly soon that type of tired approach will wear away and it won't be unheard of to draft multiple quarterbacks high in the same draft. Not every general manager is going to be the petrified type. Once young general managers are more in vogue then it's even more likely that barriers will be broken. Analytics types will fill those roles. But the league is still stuck in this stupid idea that general managers have to be 40s or older.
I don’t love Love but I like the mindset of acquiring the QB who will be the mainstay and spending year to year on the acquisition through the draft

Some notes from the senior bowl

• After a survey of team sources, here are the players who stood out for interviewing well at the Senior Bowl:
    • Florida wide receiver Van Jefferson
    • Dayton tight end Adam Trautman
    • Southern Illinois safety Jeremy Chinn
    • Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert
    • Temple offensive lineman Matt Hennessy
    • Utah cornerback Terrell Burgess

• Since the start of the 2020 NFL Draft process, many projected Alabama wide receiver Jerry Jeudy to be a top-five pick, including myself. However after speaking to a few team sources, they feel Jeudy could go lower than than that, perhaps in the No. 6-16 range. The main reason is size, as Jeudy is listed at 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, which is not very big for a No. 1 receiver. The other issue hurting Jeudy is how strong and deep the 2020 NFL Draft is at receiver. Teams picking high in the first round know a first-round caliber receiver will probably be available to them in Round 2, so they can get a top-five talent at a different position that does not have as good of options in the second round that wide receiver does. Thus, Jeudy could end up going lower than the typical projection during the 2019 season.

All this I found on walterfootball.com

Trautman, Jones and Anae may have been the biggest winners from the senior bowl process, I would love to see any or all of those guys in a fins uniform. I thought Hennessy and Cushenberry in the game too really showed what they could do at Center. Perine and Kelley at RB should be lower round targets for us. Happy to see Van getting some love here, Gandy-Golden and Chase Clayppol are great prospects in the lower rounds too at wideout. Uche's one of those mid round edge players we could use also and Kyle Dugger would fill a big need for us.

For Jeudy, I can understand how when the measurables start to come out scouts and buzz fades a little on Jeudy, but folks just need to put on the tape, guy runs great routes, I would love to see him fall to 18 and be there for us to team up with Tua again (although we should be prioritising getting a tackle at that spot, Jones please).

Last edited:
Anyone who hasn't voted in the 2020 Site Awards, please cast your ballot soon! Voting ends at Noon EST and there is a tie for Rookie of the Year! Let your voice be heard!

I have to ask just once... STOP MISUSING THE WORDS NARRATIVE AND AGENDA. EVERYONE.

That being said... Ive never seen such devotion to a prospect like I have Tua. I also haven't seen so much hatred of a kid who hasn't worn a Dolphins uniform... ever.

We are one divided group!

Quit pushing your anti-agenda narrative.

Back
Top Bottom