September Top 20 Big Board | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

September Top 20 Big Board

Tannenbombs

Club Member
Reaction score
This is the first Big Board for the 2015 NFL Draft. I will update and add more prospects to my Big Board each month until after all Pro Days are over in March and I will put out a final top 100 at that time. Some prospects you think are missing from this list are omitted for two of the following reasons. #1. I simply do not feel they are a legitimate 1st round prospect. Or. #2. I have not seen enough film to give them a fair, accurate grade. I try to evaluate 5 games, with a minimum of 3 per prospect. This initial list is EXTREMELY FLUID. It's just to kick start the draft season. The closer to the top expect less movement overall. Enjoy!

1. Leonard Williams DL Southern California 6'5 298 4.88

2. Todd Gurley RB Georgia 6'1 232 4.52

3. Jameis Winston QB Florida State 6'4 235 4.83

4. Andrus Peat LT Stanford 6'6 312 5.28

5. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon 5'9 185 4.46

6. Vic Beasley OLB Clemson 6'2 235 4.58

7. Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin 6'1 207 4.52

8. Amari Cooper WR Alabama 6'1 205 4.56

9. Marcus Mariota QB Oregon 6'4 215 4.52

10. Randy Gregory DE Nebraska 6'5 255 4.76

11. Sammie Coates WR Auburn 6'2 201 4.36

12. Landon Collins SS Alabama 6'0 215 4.53

13. Brandon Scherff RT Iowa 6'5 315 4.93

14. Shaq Thompson WLB Washington 6'2 231 4.56

15. Shawn Oakman DE Baylor 6'8 275 4.92

16. La'el Collins OG LSU 6'5 315 5.12

17. P.J. Williams CB Florida State 6'0 190 4.48

18. Cedric Ogbuehi LT Texas A&M 6'5 300 4.98

19. Noah Spence DE Ohio State 6'3 252 4.68

20. Josue Matias OG Florida State 6'6 331 5.32

Good list....I thought that Matias could have been a 1st rounder last year at G so seeing him in the top 20 is not that much of a stretch...

I typically wouldn't put a guy like Ekpre-Olomu in the top 10 due to his size and limitations it could bring, but seeing him in that Michigan State game...he's very physical and an excellent ball player. Impact kind of DB....

Todd Gurley has AD type of ability....might just be the best football player in the country...

Good list....I thought that Matias could have been a 1st rounder last year at G so seeing him in the top 20 is not that much of a stretch...

I typically wouldn't put a guy like Ekpre-Olomu in the top 10 due to his size and limitations it could bring, but seeing him in that Michigan State game...he's very physical and an excellent ball player. Impact kind of DB....

Todd Gurley has AD type of ability....might just be the best football player in the country...

Ekpre-Olomu is the SAME exact height as Brent Grimes.. 5'9 1/4.. Coincidentally that is exactly who I compare him to. I think he is a legit #1 cover corner.

Matias may slide down a little once I expand the list, but I expect him to be in that mid to late 1st round.

I think Leonard Williams and Todd Gurley are "generational talents"

Ekpre-Olomu is the SAME exact height as Brent Grimes.. 5'9 1/4.. Coincidentally that is exactly who I compare him to. I think he is a legit #1 cover corner.

Matias may slide down a little once I expand the list, but I expect him to be in that mid to late 1st round.

I think Leonard Williams and Todd Gurley are "generational talents"

Ekpre-Olomu he pops off the screen...you notice him, in a good way. Always around the ball and makes plays. I could see him being a number one corner, just based on his on the field play.

One player who may rise is Cedric Ogbuehi. A lot of lists I have seen have him as a top 3-5 prospect. I thought his RT tape was very bad, but he swung me against South Carolina lining up at LT. He looked very smooth and natural there. It was only 1 game. So he is a bit of a wild card on this list.

I know seeing TWO Running Backs in the top 10 are shocking, but I mentioned above I think Gurley is a generational talent and Melvin Gordon is going to be a very, very good starting running back in the NFL. Should be a regular pro bowler. And if anyone thinks he can't block check out the block he threw in the 4th quarter vs. LSU... DECLEATER.

Ekpre-Olomu he pops off the screen...you notice him, in a good way. Always around the ball and makes plays. I could see him being a number one corner, just based on his on the field play.

He is very active in run support, can play nickel, smooth pedal and break on the ball, fluid in transition, turns and locates the ball and has great ball skills. He's a ballhawk when they throw his way. He's outstanding in off coverage but he isn't as bad as you would think in press because of his size deficiencies. If anyone wants to know what a "Kevin Coyle" CB prospect looks like.. It's Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. He would be the prototype.

This is the first Big Board for the 2015 NFL Draft. I will update and add more prospects to my Big Board each month until after all Pro Days are over in March and I will put out a final top 100 at that time. Some prospects you think are missing from this list are omitted for two of the following reasons. #1. I simply do not feel they are a legitimate 1st round prospect. Or. #2. I have not seen enough film to give them a fair, accurate grade. I try to evaluate 5 games, with a minimum of 3 per prospect. This initial list is EXTREMELY FLUID. It's just to kick start the draft season. The closer to the top expect less movement overall. Enjoy!

1. Leonard Williams DL Southern California 6'5 298 4.88 - Hobbled by the ankle against Stanford, still put out a strong effort, but he didn't have his typical burst. Reminds me of a bigger, stronger Cam Jordan. Love his versatility, but I think he might show best as a 5 in an odd front.

2. Todd Gurley RB Georgia 6'1 232 4.52 - Remarkably sudden and well rounded for a guy his size. He reminds of M. Lynch with Ricky Williams' burst, but he looks to be a better receiver than either.

3. Jameis Winston QB Florida State 6'4 235 4.83 - If he keeps his nose clean and shortens that delivery, he's right there with A. Luck as a prospect, but those don't seem to be givens.

4. Andrus Peat LT Stanford 6'6 312 5.28

5. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon 5'9 185 4.46 - Physical, instinctive, with outstanding agility and acceleration, height is the only knock.

6. Vic Beasley OLB Clemson 6'2 235 4.58 - Think he'll have to produce a similar year and run in the low 4.5's to have a shot at going top-10.

7. Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin 6'1 207 4.52 - Love Gordon. If he can show promise as a receiver out of the backfield, top-15 isn't a stretch.

8. Amari Cooper WR Alabama 6'1 205 4.56 - I have some trouble with Cooper. He's smooth as you'd like, but if a posts something close to a 4.56, I'm thinking he's more of a top-25 guy than a top-10 guy.

9. Marcus Mariota QB Oregon 6'4 215 4.52 - Michigan St. might have been his best game in my eyes. Against tough D's, Mariota typically wilts. He looks bigger and more comfortable in the pocket. Has to build off that performance.

10. Randy Gregory DE Nebraska 6'5 255 4.76

11. Sammie Coates WR Auburn 6'2 201 4.36

12. Landon Collins SS Alabama 6'0 215 4.53

13. Brandon Scherff RT Iowa 6'5 315 4.93

14. Shaq Thompson WLB Washington 6'2 231 4.56

15. Shawn Oakman DE Baylor 6'8 275 4.92

16. La'el Collins OG LSU 6'5 315 5.12

17. P.J. Williams CB Florida State 6'0 190 4.48

18. Cedric Ogbuehi LT Texas A&M 6'5 300 4.98

19. Noah Spence DE Ohio State 6'3 252 4.68

20. Josue Matias OG Florida State 6'6 331 5.32

Nice Job! More later.

Nice Job! More later.

I listed Leonard as a DL just because he can play 3 technique in an even front, or 5 technique in an odd front. Either way in subpackages he'll be rushing from a 3. Last year he was "60%" by his own estimation playing with a torn labrum in his shoulder. His ability to get extension and shed blocks in the run game is very rare. Great punch and hand usage. And he can run. He used to skateboard everywhere in high school :chuckle: and you can tell by how balanced he is. He's got a great motor too. He hawked down Ty Montgomery on that bad wildcat snap on a bum ankle. I don't see anyone jumping him for #1 overall on my board. NFL scouts told David Shaw that he is "The best defensive prospect they've ever seen". He's going to be a star.

I think Gurley will be the best RB in the NFL.

Do you see the Grimes comparison to Ekpre-Olomu?

I just love Beasley's tools as a pass rusher. Perfect blend of bend around the edge, speed to power, and inside counter moves. He's got it down. And I believe he should run 4.5-4.6

Gordon caught 4 passes this past game, which is more than what his career total was.

Amari Cooper ran for NFL Scouts at Alabama's Pro Day and I believe he ran three, if not definitely two 40's all in the 4.3's. I'll try to find a link on that.

Overall, I think Mariota can be every bit as good as Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick. Jameis can be as good as he wants...

Thanks for the feedback!

If Miami goes Defense: Ifo, or Shaq
If Miami goes Offense: Gurley, or Gordon

I've been watching Shaq more and more and I love his athleticism...I don't watch a lot of Pac 12 ball, but I may have to watch a few Huskie games

Its early but I could certainly see that. I think Shaq is the most realistic based on where I think we will pick. Size or not I think Ifo goes top 12. It will be interesting where Gurley and Gordon end up on draft day…these guys are freaks and I think they will both go early, but it will be interesting with how deep the RB class is which might convince some people to wait.

That said, I think Gurley might be the best player in college football. And honestly I think Gordon is just as good…maybe even better as a pure runner. Gurley just does everything else better. Gordon's numbers are going to take a hit this year though, I think…he's going to see like 9 guys in the box hah.

My Top 20 Big Board....I think the Florida State Seminoles could have SIX first rounders this year.

My early pick for the Phins is FSU CB P.J. Williams. I know we are a little thin at LB right now, but Beasley is a little too small for my liking and I don't see much in him at ILB. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is a little too small for me as well at CB, although he has great instincts and is a ball hawk.

1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
2. Leonard Wiliams, DT, USC
3. Jameis Winston, QB, FSU
4. Brandon Scherff, T, Iowa
5. Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
6. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
7. Cedric Ogbuehl, T, Texas A&M
8. Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
9. Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska
10. Shilique Calhoun, DE, Mich State
11. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
12. Cameron Erving, T, FSU
13. Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State
14. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
15. PJ Williams, CB, FSU
16. Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon
17. Nelson Agholor, WR, USC
18. Tre Jackson, G, FSU
19. Cedric Reed, DE, Texas
20. Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford

[video=youtube;yBbdaFpZQL8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBbdaFpZQL8[/video]

My Top 20 Big Board....I think the Florida State Seminoles could have SIX first rounders this year.

My early pick for the Phins is FSU CB P.J. Williams. I know we are a little thin at LB right now, but Beasley is a little too small for my liking and I don't see much in him at ILB. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is a little too small for me as well at CB, although he has great instincts and is a ball hawk.

1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
2. Leonard Wiliams, DT, USC
3. Jameis Winston, QB, FSU
4. Brandon Scherff, T, Iowa
5. Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
6. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
7. Cedric Ogbuehl, T, Texas A&M
8. Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
9. Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska
10. Shilique Calhoun, DE, Mich State
11. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
12. Cameron Erving, T, FSU
13. Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State
14. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
15. PJ Williams, CB, FSU
16. Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon
17. Nelson Agholor, WR, USC
18. Tre Jackson, G, FSU
19. Cedric Reed, DE, Texas
20. Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford

[video=youtube;yBbdaFpZQL8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBbdaFpZQL8[/video]

I encourage you to watch more film, maybe on draftbreakdown.com because Josue is clearly the best offensive lineman on Florida State. Look back at the OK State game. He was the only one that graded positive. He's everything you want in a guard. Very light feet, strong powerful hands, 6'6 with outstanding length for the position. NASTY. Can play in a power man scheme or a zone blocking scheme like the one he currently plays in. Good mirror skills in pass protection, and if you want to know if he can block the 2nd level watch Jameis' highlight TD run against OK State.

I currently have La'el Collins rated higher than Josue because of versatility. He is currently a LT that will slide to guard in the NFL, but can play both tackle and both guard spots. I actually prefer Josue over Collins at guard.

I've been watching Shaq more and more and I love his athleticism...I don't watch a lot of Pac 12 ball, but I may have to watch a few Huskie games

[video=youtube;b7ihqSNZt1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ihqSNZt1g#t=13[/video]

Back
Top Bottom