September Top 20 Big Board | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

September Top 20 Big Board

The 40 times are from NFLDraftScout. I don't know how accurate they are. Just thought I'd post them. I agree Oakman doesn't have the knee bend to be able to stack and shed as a 3-4 End. I project him as a 4-3 LE who slides down in subpackages. I'm also in agreement he needs to play someone other than SMU and Baylor. Oklahoma has draftable tackles. I don't know how good they are but I have seen draftable grades. I did not like Oakman at all as far as his 2013 film. He's much more explosive athletic and instinctive this year. He needs to perform against quality competition.

I agree Slimm, I definitely see more knee bend and overall fluidness. He was a Power Forward for the basketball team, but I'm sure you're aware of that. He was impressive against Michigan State, however that's the only game I have seen him play. Well where I was specifically watching him. Need to do more film work before I can give an accurate report, but yes, a more fluid athlete. I think Oakman is more explosive.

The bolded part here is very important to me in evaluating Oakman. Tyrus Thompson is one of the most underrated and best left tackles I've seen on film. I don't have any offensive line threads up because I'm still in the process of evaluating several dozen. However, I can tell you Tyrus Thompson can play. He's really the only key matchup Oakman will have this season and will provide a firm grasp of where Oakman really is when Baylor faces Oklahoma in November.

The bolded part here is very important to me in evaluating Oakman. Tyrus Thompson is one of the most underrated and best left tackles I've seen on film. I don't have any offensive line threads up because I'm still in the process of evaluating several dozen. However, I can tell you Tyrus Thompson can play. He's really the only key matchup Oakman will have this season and will provide a firm grasp of where Oakman really is when Baylor faces Oklahoma in November.

Looking forward to that one forsure. Also, would really love your opinion on the Winston situation. As you seem to have known a lot about him from Alabama high school football. You can see my thoughts in my last comment on this thread.

oakman has traits and physical abilities on the edge in a freak size package that will have scouts and gms drooling come eval time...i'm sure they will be further backed up by how he tests...i don't think it really matters about his production or how he plays...he shows what you want tools wise...teams will bet on the development and upside in time...might not get much interest from 34 fronts but 43 ones i'm sure will be thinking about the long term return

i'd be more willing to invest in that than i would some try hard guy with average physical tools who has mass production...if i'm gonna swing i'm going for the fences with a top pick

his game reminds me of a more explosive edge presence than margus hunt in a similar size package...who is correctly used as a 43 de in cinci...this kids tools though are higher end...doesnt have hunts sheer power though coming out if he comes out this year...very raw though

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to that one forsure. Also, would really love your opinion on the Winston situation. As you seem to have known a lot about him from Alabama high school football. You can see my thoughts in my last comment on this thread.

Well, I don't think this is a significant incident at all to be honest. This was really just a case of college kids being college kids. I've heard a lot worse things yelled by players before. Trust me. I think it's been blown out of proportion because it's Winston again. FSU had to do something again simply because it's Winston. Thus they'll keep him out for the first half against Clemson.

If players were suspended for yelling out inappropriate things, there'd be about 1,000 kids suspended every Saturday. That's just reality though.

I am familiar with Jameis and I've spoken several times to Coach Patterson (Jameis' baseball coach in high school) at high school football games about Winston off the record. He insists that he's a good kid, and a lot of these things involving Winston tend to get embellished. Even the crab leg incident has an entirely different set of facts than what was put out there by the media.

All that said, Winston is just immature. Whether he's really a good kid or not, at this point he just severly lacks self awareness. But there's a league full of those in the NFL that play at a high level. He'll have to learn as he matures. He's obviously never been taught, and I think his father is an enabler to him. You can't just keep finding yourself in situations. You have to stop it. Nobody else can do it for you.

But mark my words, he'll play in the NFL and he'll do well on the field. His talent and football IQ is just too great. Furthermore, he's an extremely hard worker. That's the key. Even in the classroom. He always has been. He just doesn't get it on a social level yet and that's his biggest drawback.

Well, I don't think this is a significant incident at all to be honest. This was really just a case of college kids being college kids. I've heard a lot worse things yelled by players before. Trust me. I think it's been blown out of proportion because it's Winston again. FSU had to do something again simply because it's Winston. Thus they'll keep him out for the first half against Clemson.

If players were suspended for yelling out inappropriate things, there'd be about 1,000 kids suspended every Saturday. That's just reality though.

I am familiar with Jameis and I've spoken several times to Coach Patterson (Jameis' baseball coach in high school) at high school football games about Winston off the record. He insists that he's a good kid, and a lot of these things involving Winston tend to get embellished. Even the crab leg incident has an entirely different set of facts than what was put out there by the media.

All that said, Winston is just immature. Whether he's really a good kid or not, at this point he just severly lacks self awareness. But there's a league full of those in the NFL that play at a high level. He'll have to learn as he matures. He's obviously never been taught, and I think his father is an enabler to him. You can't just keep finding yourself in situations. You have to stop it. Nobody else can do it for you.

But mark my words, he'll play in the NFL and he'll do well on the field. His talent and football IQ is just too great. Furthermore, he's an extremely hard worker. That's the key. Even in the classroom. He always has been. He just doesn't get it on a social level yet and that's his biggest drawback.

Yeah. I really don't think it has any effect on his ability to play. He's too damn good. I've backtracked. I'd take him over anyone besides Leonard Williams. He's too damn talented and his football IQ is too good. He sees the game at a Peyton/Brady/Brees type level. And has more than enough physical talent. He's an elite quarterback at the next level forsure.

And absolutely if that was Karlos Williams or Rashad Greene, I don't even think they would have to run a few more gassers after practice because I don't think the coaching staff would even have found out. Everything is blown up once the "Heisman trophy winner" does it. That's 100% true.

I'm interested in hearing what you know about the crab legs.

I'd take him If I need a QB and he's there. Without a doubt. I just had an instant overreaction. He's an extremely smart kid (got into Stanford Med school), an extremely hard worker, a rare talent, and really understands the game.

The difference between Winston and Manziel, strictly off the field, is that not one thing Winston has done makes you think he'll be any less of a player. With Manziel you know he's getting too ****ed up all the time. And on the field well, the comparison isn't even close. Winston blows him out of the water. Johnny 8ball will be working on the SEC network in 3 years next to Tebow.

oakman has traits and physical abilities on the edge in a freak size package that will have scouts and gms drooling come eval time...i'm sure they will be further backed up by how he tests...i don't think it really matters about his production or how he plays...he shows what you want tools wise...teams will bet on the development and upside in time...might not get much interest from 34 fronts but 43 ones i'm sure will be thinking about the long term return

i'd be more willing to invest in that than i would some try hard guy with average physical tools who has mass production...if i'm gonna swing i'm going for the fences with a top pick

his game reminds me of a more explosive edge presence than margus hunt in a similar size package...who is correctly used as a 43 de in cinci...this kids tools though are higher end...doesnt have hunts sheer power though coming out if he comes out this year...very raw though

Oakman now has a pretty good feel for when to counter, when to convert speed to power, when to rush the edge. Hunt had no clue had to do that, understandably because he had only played football for a couple years. I have no clue how long Oakman has been playing. But the signs of improvement from 2013-2014 lead me to believe an NFL DL coach can make him a very good player, if a guy at Baylor can help him improve this much in 1 off-season.

Oakman now has a pretty good feel for when to counter, when to convert speed to power, when to rush the edge. Hunt had no clue had to do that, understandably because he had only played football for a couple years. I have no clue how long Oakman has been playing. But the signs of improvement from 2013-2014 lead me to believe an NFL DL coach can make him a very good player, if a guy at Baylor can help him improve this much in 1 off-season.

that's true...

Will be posting another Top 20 on the 1st. The list will expand as the draft season progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom