September Top 20 Big Board | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

September Top 20 Big Board

Deontay Greenberry is someone who would have made the list if I had seen more film. I saw two games last year (can't remember off the top of my head) where he was DOMINANT. I just caught the end of this BYU game.. that ability to get off press coverage "LEGALLY" shieild the corner and make a very nice catch in the redzone was NFL caliber stuff. He's nearly unstoppable on fades in the redzone. He'll likely make the next expanded list.

Here's the idea as far as the schedule of these types of posts until the draft.

September-Top 20
October- Top 25
November- Top 32
December- Top 50
January- Top 64
Febrauary- Top 75
March (after pro days)- Top 100
April- Top 10 position rankings with scouting reports

Walter Football does a nice job of updating their draft site and I think they have a two round breakdown right now, and by about April they have a six or seven round summary. I also like Draftek's Big Board...I think they do a Top 250 prospects by draft time.

I haven't seen him play in 2014, but unless Randy Gregory shows marked improvement, I have Shawn Oakman leaping him.

If Miami goes Defense: Ifo, or Shaq
If Miami goes Offense: Gurley, or Gordon
I think you are spot on here. Absolutely love Gurley and I think the Lynch comparisons that you keep hearing are pretty good. Gordon is an exciting runner, but I think he drops due to not offering much in the passing game (at least at this point). Thompson is very intriguing because he's a guy that gives you great athletic ability at linebacker. He could also move to safety in different looks. A creative defensive coordinator will fall in love with this guy.

Interested in your opinion on Sean Oakman. I know his size and athletic ability are intriguing as not many humans at 6-8 and 280 can run the way he does. That said, I haven't seen him play and his highlights to date are interesting, but make him look more like a 2nd/3rd round project. That said, I'm sure a good year could see him go in the 1st round especially if he is considered coachable/moldable.

I can't see Winston as a star in the NFL with that delivery. Too many balls simply won't get there in time or won't get out at all.

Maybe he'll fix it somewhat. I don't like to downgrade guys who are special at an early age. But that elongated delivery is a huge issue.

I'm not sold on Mariota. Late last season his stock was plummeting. He did nothing at Stanford until the game was essentially over. Fortunately he made the right call to return this year. Very favorable schedule including home game against Michigan State. They may play similarly to Stanford but as an outsider they don't know your personnel or tendencies. This shaped up as the best ever opportunity for Oregon to run the table, given Stanford's young team.

Oregon is running the ball more seldom this year. No more than 40 rushes in any of their games so far. That's a very odd trend given their history in this offense. The Oregon offense enables throws to wide open receivers against terrorized defenses. You really have to be careful in the evaluation.

I can't see Winston as a star in the NFL with that delivery. Too many balls simply won't get there in time or won't get out at all.

Maybe he'll fix it somewhat. I don't like to downgrade guys who are special at an early age. But that elongated delivery is a huge issue.

I'm not sold on Mariota. Late last season his stock was plummeting. He did nothing at Stanford until the game was essentially over. Fortunately he made the right call to return this year. Very favorable schedule including home game against Michigan State. They may play similarly to Stanford but as an outsider they don't know your personnel or tendencies. This shaped up as the best ever opportunity for Oregon to run the table, given Stanford's young team.

Oregon is running the ball more seldom this year. No more than 40 rushes in any of their games so far. That's a very odd trend given their history in this offense. The Oregon offense enables throws to wide open receivers against terrorized defenses. You really have to be careful in the evaluation.

I don't understand why you discredit Michigan State. DE Shilique Calhoun, DE Marcus Rush, LB Taiwan Jones, CB Trae Waynes, and FS Kurtis Drummond are all prospects for this year. You definitely have to consider the offense he is in. I think he will end up a better pro than Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick.

Philip Rivers has an awkward release too. I think if you are a special player with an outstanding understanding of the mental part of the game like Philip or Winston you can overcome that.

Interested in your opinion on Sean Oakman. I know his size and athletic ability are intriguing as not many humans at 6-8 and 280 can run the way he does. That said, I haven't seen him play and his highlights to date are interesting, but make him look more like a 2nd/3rd round project. That said, I'm sure a good year could see him go in the 1st round especially if he is considered coachable/moldable.

I didn't like the player at all in 2013. However, he has made huge strides so far this season. I've watched him play in 2014 vs SMU, and Buffalo, not exactly the strongest teams. But he has dropped 10 so pounds without losing very much power. He's either a Left or end in a 4-3, or a 3-4 defensive end. Either way in nickel and dime packages he will be an interior rusher.

I need to see him perform against a quality opponent before I do so, but I have little doubt he will grade out as top 10 pick. I believe he is #14 on this list already, and that was before the Buffalo game.

I didn't like the player at all in 2013. However, he has made huge strides so far this season. I've watched him play in 2014 vs SMU, and Buffalo, not exactly the strongest teams. But he has dropped 10 so pounds without losing very much power. He's either a Left or end in a 4-3, or a 3-4 defensive end. Either way in nickel and dime packages he will be an interior rusher.

I need to see him perform against a quality opponent before I do so, but I have little doubt he will grade out as top 10 pick. I believe he is #14 on this list already, and that was before the Buffalo game.
My thank you button doesn't work for some reason, but wanted to say thanks. I definitely want to see Oakman play. I'm intrigued.

My thank you button doesn't work for some reason, but wanted to say thanks. I definitely want to see Oakman play. I'm intrigued.

[video=youtube;QHO2xa2k6Tg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHO2xa2k6Tg[/video]

[video=youtube;d5ImtQPg6q4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ImtQPg6q4[/video]

i think oakmans a left end in a 34...i have concerns about that height in a 34 a a 5 tech and taking on double teams and pad level...looks like a 43 end to me all the way...explosive rediculously body beautiful athlete...games very raw but he has pass rush traits that will translate...seems content to let himself be blocked on some things also...doesnt flow down the los all the time with max effort but those things usually work themelves out once a guys getting paid to play...shows a little outside inside power rush also...hips have some stiffness...also seems like he carries himself like he's arrived already...needs a lot of polish

i'm sure that will test like a top 20 worthy pick...that and with the upside if he's clean off the field i think someone jumps on it very early...raw talent...gets off the ball well has the speed and the ability to bend to run the arc and the length to give tackles problems

i havent looked at this class enough to try and put a value on it yet relative to the other prospects but if i was going about it like i always do from a pure talent and upside and package aspect i'd have that as a top 20 worthy value pretty comfortably

not sure how accurate that 4.9 number is but he needs to run better than that...i'm sure he will cut some weight before he runs and run a solid #...

Last edited by a moderator:
Junior DE Arik Armstead for Oregon is a very similar prospect to Oakman in that they have rare length and a unique build. Armstead is around 6'7", 285. However, I think Armstead bends better than Oakman and has less stiffness. More fluid of an athlete. Armstead jumps out on tape to me when I watch Oregon.

Armstead was a beast against Michigan St. I need to see Oakman do something against somebody that can actually play first.

The 40 times are from NFLDraftScout. I don't know how accurate they are. Just thought I'd post them. I agree Oakman doesn't have the knee bend to be able to stack and shed as a 3-4 End. I project him as a 4-3 LE who slides down in subpackages. I'm also in agreement he needs to play someone other than SMU and Baylor. Oklahoma has draftable tackles. I don't know how good they are but I have seen draftable grades. I did not like Oakman at all as far as his 2013 film. He's much more explosive athletic and instinctive this year. He needs to perform against quality competition.

I agree Slimm, I definitely see more knee bend and overall fluidness. He was a Power Forward for the basketball team, but I'm sure you're aware of that. He was impressive against Michigan State, however that's the only game I have seen him play. Well where I was specifically watching him. Need to do more film work before I can give an accurate report, but yes, a more fluid athlete. I think Oakman is more explosive.

Back
Top Bottom