Should he (Ireland) stay or should he go? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should he (Ireland) stay or should he go?

People always state the negatives, I admitt that I fugging hated Ireland but you know?? Everything is starting to come together once you take a step back. If he was winning with this team he'd be the man right??? Just like when things was kinda going good in the first part of the season. Positive threads of Ireland was popping up everywhere.

But I see it as he got us Marshall who everyone was excited about, but learned to dislike some! Philbin didn't want him here, and they got the best deal that they could for him deal with it. It's called depreciation!! We gave up two two's and and traded him for two 3s. Randy miss got traded one of the times for a damn 4 rd pick and that was when you was still fresh! What's there to get made about? Unfortunately Jeff couldn't get replace him in do time, omg just a season but people act like its been a problem for years.

Marshall is balling now, it happens ok. But people wanna say "oh he's neglected the position blah blah blah, but people dream of a number one WR like Marshall that would allow hartline to be th #2 and beds the slot and than we would be set right? Yeah it happened already!! A lot of people like to say that he like to draft for need right? Right?? So what are our needs I don't need to say because we all know, and you don't think he'll draft that need, as many pass rusher there is in this draft do you think he won't take one, same thing for WR and cb depending which one we go with in the first. Be happy with jones, and wake, Starks, smith, hartline, pouncey, t-hill. Four of them can be pro bowlers now this season & solia but different era, period!!! Can't argue that!!! people forgot that smith was playing like shut down corner his second year, #3 rated blah blah. But I know he's inconsistent, but very good number 2! GM'S MAKE MISTAKES PERIOD GUYS. Another point, Jeff is shopping for PHILBIN players!! That's he's job! Period. I'm fun with him being our Gm now because the team could be stacked but nobdy else sees it!!! Maybe eight pro bowlers could come from this team next season. We need three other players Wether the Greg Jennings a draftee, dansby making it in finally but you get what I'm trying say guys, open your eyes. And please stop saying he's neglected the WR POISTION because it's not true, it's only been one damn season. He knowsssssI

If he was winning with this team he'd be the man right??? .

Yes, if he was winning he would be liked, but he's not winning he's losing, so he's not liked. Its kind of funny how that works eh?

People always state the negatives, I admitt that I fugging hated Ireland but you know?? Everything is starting to come together once you take a step back. If he was winning with this team he'd be the man right??? Just like when things was kinda going good in the first part of the season. Positive threads of Ireland was popping up everywhere.

But I see it as he got us Marshall who everyone was excited about, but learned to dislike some! Philbin didn't want him here, and they got the best deal that they could for him deal with it. It's called depreciation!! We gave up two two's and and traded him for two 3s. Randy miss got traded one of the times for a damn 4 rd pick and that was when you was still fresh! What's there to get made about? Unfortunately Jeff couldn't get replace him in do time, omg just a season but people act like its been a problem for years.

Marshall is balling now, it happens ok. But people wanna say "oh he's neglected the position blah blah blah, but people dream of a number one WR like Marshall that would allow hartline to be th #2 and beds the slot and than we would be set right? Yeah it happened already!! A lot of people like to say that he like to draft for need right? Right?? So what are our needs I don't need to say because we all know, and you don't think he'll draft that need, as many pass rusher there is in this draft do you think he won't take one, same thing for WR and cb depending which one we go with in the first. Be happy with jones, and wake, Starks, smith, hartline, pouncey, t-hill. Four of them can be pro bowlers now this season & solia but different era, period!!! Can't argue that!!! people forgot that smith was playing like shut down corner his second year, #3 rated blah blah. But I know he's inconsistent, but very good number 2! GM'S MAKE MISTAKES PERIOD GUYS. Another point, Jeff is shopping for PHILBIN players!! That's he's job! Period. I'm fun with him being our Gm now because the team could be stacked but nobdy else sees it!!! Maybe eight pro bowlers could come from this team next season. We need three other players Wether the Greg Jennings a draftee, dansby making it in finally but you get what I'm trying say guys, open your eyes. And please stop saying he's neglected the WR POISTION because it's not true, it's only been one damn season. He knowsssssI
Do what, now?

Yes, if he was winning he would be liked, but he's not winning he's losing, so he's not liked. Its kind of funny how that works eh?

and why is he not winning??? Tuna fish sandwich brought him and tony in. Team never has a qb, team finally has a qb that's in his DAMN rookie year but people are so damn eager to win win now that it clouds there vison. You can't expect a Gm to be successful without a Gm. He's gonna be given the chance to continue to build the team as he has man. The qb is there, so he's gonna be given one or two more seasons. What are you guys gonna say when we have a beautiful draft and make smart FA signings???

What has ireland done to win you over like this?? has the dolphins won a playoff game under him? im just interested what has convinced you that ireland can make this team a contender? we are pretty much at the same spot we were last year, almost the same amounts of win and losses. Ireland has given away 1st round picks (vontae, Marshall) to other teams for mediocre picks and hes free agency signings speaks for themselves. So what is it that gives you blind faith in ireland???
Who said I have blind faith in him, all I said is that I am not talking about him losing his job this off season because we all know it likely will not happen. Like it or not, he is likely going to be the GM in 2013. I honestly could take him or leave him at this point, but since he is still the GM I am going to root for him and hope for the best. What does bitching and moaning accomplish at this point since the true discussion of him losing his job likely won't come until January 2014 at the earliest.

Curious to know why you have faith in Ireland? He's the constant that has built an average (at best) offensive line with money and high draft picks and a paper thin roster. He's built teams that have finished 7-9, 7-9, 6-10 and 5-?? He's also been below average in the draft. What has he done to justify leading the team through a very critical offseason?

Curious to know why you have faith in Ireland? He's the constant that has built an average (at best) offensive line with money and high draft picks and a paper thin roster. He's built teams that have finished 7-9, 7-9, 6-10 and 5-?? He's also been below average in the draft. What has he done to justify leading the team through a very critical offseason?
not defending Ireland, but if you are going to credit him for the 7-9 seasons , why not the 11-5 season? If you are going to not count the 2008 season because of Parcells, I wouldn't count the 2009 and somewhat the 2010 season. The 2011 season was Ireland's first draft where he had 100% total control.

and why is he not winning??? Tuna fish sandwich brought him and tony in. Team never has a qb, team finally has a qb that's in his DAMN rookie year but people are so damn eager to win win now that it clouds there vison. You can't expect a Gm to be successful without a Gm. He's gonna be given the chance to continue to build the team as he has man. The qb is there, so he's gonna be given one or two more seasons. What are you guys gonna say when we have a beautiful draft and make smart FA signings???

Understand your point dade, but when you consider that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the veteran free agents signed this offseason are no longer on the 53 man roster, it's hard to say that Ireland is gonna make smart Free Agent signings. He replaced Brandon Marshall with Naanee and Ochocinco. Neither lasted into October on the team. The fact that NOT ONE veteran FA is still on the active roster is a failure. Why believe that next year will be different?

Its possible that he could learn from his mistakes and become a decent GM or catch lightning in a bottle and hit on everything from here on out but does he deserve another chance? Is it worth the risk?

I'm really starting to worry about the effects Ireland is having on the fanbase and the attendance at Sun Life. If he messes this off season up and Tannehill turns out to be a bust I think the team is in real danger of moving out of Miami.

And when I say mess up, I mean colossal mess up, like something similar to what he did last offseason...

Last edited by a moderator:
not defending Ireland, but if you are going to credit him for the 7-9 seasons , why not the 11-5 season? If you are going to not count the 2008 season because of Parcells, I wouldn't count the 2009 and somewhat the 2010 season. The 2011 season was Ireland's first draft where he had 100% total control.

You can credit him either way. If you count the 2008 season, when the Phins had an easy schedule, Brady was hurt, and Pennington fell into their laps, that's okay. But then the last 4 years have been losing seasons. If you look at the Phins picks in rounds 1-4 from 2008-2011, you'll see that 9 of the 17 players drafted are no longer with the team. Henne, Pat White, AJ Edds, Merling, Langford, Murphy, Gates, Turner, Vontae Davis are all gone. Those are premium picks that you build a team with. The fact that only 1 player in those 4 drafts went to a Pro Bowl is sad and the one that did was the #1 overall pick (a hard one to miss on). I just think those picks should have built the foundation for the team, instead we have nothing to show for them. And Parcells has his fingerprints in there, no doubt, but Ireland was the GM and was at the very least a major influencer in those drafts.

Now, if you look at the Dolphins at the end of the 2010 season, they were 7-9. Teams that finished worse than them? Broncos (#4 in AFC now), Texans (#1 in AFC now), 49ers (#2 in NFC now)...all had worse records than the Dolphins after Ireland completely took over. We're 2 years into him controlling everything and look like we're headed for a sub-.500 season again. Going into this season, the Phins needed a WR, OL, Pass Rusher, QB, TE. The only one you can really cross off that list is QB (and that's because they invested the #8 pick on Tannehill, whom I have faith in).

Look at the 2011 draft. Pouncey in the 1st round. I don't like taking centers that high, but I like Pouncey and can see him being a Pro Bowler someday. Beyond that? Trading up for Daniel Thomas? 2 picks after him, Randall Cobb was taken. About 20 picks later? Stevan Ridley was taken by the Pats...and he just passed the 1,000 yard mark. Ridley also averages about 1 yard per carry more than Thomas this season. 2nd round pick for Brandon Marshall - and he's gone. Clyde Gates - Gone. Charles Clay? Wildly inconsistent and minimal impact. Frank Kearse - gone. Jimmy Wilson - dime corner and special teammer. I don't see that as a successful draft.

This year, I liked the Tannehill pick and have hope for Lamar Miller. If Martin can take over at LT I'd say it's a successful draft. But Egnew has to be considered a failure at this point. I've caught as many balls as him this year. Vernon is a special teammer and a pass rusher who can't consistently pressure the QB.

All I'm saying is that I haven't seen enough talent from the draft or free agency to justify giving Ireland the chance with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and $40 mil in cap space.

Don't forget about Legadoo, I wonder if a team has ever cut their starting WR after 4 games before

You can credit him either way. If you count the 2008 season, when the Phins had an easy schedule, Brady was hurt, and Pennington fell into their laps, that's okay. But then the last 4 years have been losing seasons. If you look at the Phins picks in rounds 1-4 from 2008-2011, you'll see that 9 of the 17 players drafted are no longer with the team. Henne, Pat White, AJ Edds, Merling, Langford, Murphy, Gates, Turner, Vontae Davis are all gone. Those are premium picks that you build a team with. The fact that only 1 player in those 4 drafts went to a Pro Bowl is sad and the one that did was the #1 overall pick (a hard one to miss on). I just think those picks should have built the foundation for the team, instead we have nothing to show for them. And Parcells has his fingerprints in there, no doubt, but Ireland was the GM and was at the very least a major influencer in those drafts.

Now, if you look at the Dolphins at the end of the 2010 season, they were 7-9. Teams that finished worse than them? Broncos (#4 in AFC now), Texans (#1 in AFC now), 49ers (#2 in NFC now)...all had worse records than the Dolphins after Ireland completely took over. We're 2 years into him controlling everything and look like we're headed for a sub-.500 season again. Going into this season, the Phins needed a WR, OL, Pass Rusher, QB, TE. The only one you can really cross off that list is QB (and that's because they invested the #8 pick on Tannehill, whom I have faith in).

Look at the 2011 draft. Pouncey in the 1st round. I don't like taking centers that high, but I like Pouncey and can see him being a Pro Bowler someday. Beyond that? Trading up for Daniel Thomas? 2 picks after him, Randall Cobb was taken. About 20 picks later? Stevan Ridley was taken by the Pats...and he just passed the 1,000 yard mark. Ridley also averages about 1 yard per carry more than Thomas this season. 2nd round pick for Brandon Marshall - and he's gone. Clyde Gates - Gone. Charles Clay? Wildly inconsistent and minimal impact. Frank Kearse - gone. Jimmy Wilson - dime corner and special teammer. I don't see that as a successful draft.

This year, I liked the Tannehill pick and have hope for Lamar Miller. If Martin can take over at LT I'd say it's a successful draft. But Egnew has to be considered a failure at this point. I've caught as many balls as him this year. Vernon is a special teammer and a pass rusher who can't consistently pressure the QB.

All I'm saying is that I haven't seen enough talent from the draft or free agency to justify giving Ireland the chance with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and $40 mil in cap space.
Not to mention that center became a need because he traded Satele and signed Jake Grove to a hefty contract, which was his once a year huge FA bust. Pouncey is really good and all, but it would have been nice to use that pick on a more important position.

The track record is poor and confidence in ireland is low among a majority of fans. The fans want changes. Ross is a business man. He surely realizes that if Ireland bombs again in 2013 we will likely be starting from scratch again. The wise move is to change GM's now. Get someone that Philbin truely wants to work with...not just tolerate.

Understand your point dade, but when you consider that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the veteran free agents signed this offseason are no longer on the 53 man roster, it's hard to say that Ireland is gonna make smart Free Agent signings. He replaced Brandon Marshall with Naanee and Ochocinco. Neither lasted into October on the team. The fact that NOT ONE veteran FA is still on the active roster is a failure. Why believe that next year will be different?

But is that really on him that either he couldn't get the right WR after Marshall left? Marshall had to had to go and it's over with I get that, but you have to understand that YOU CANNOT get all the pieces in in e offseason man, you just can't. Point being the team is on the right track. (Carpenter makes a few goals and we're in Great shape) this roster will have lots of depth and impact players during the offseason. It's not a bad thing that the vets he signed aren't here, maybe that means they don't need, right?!? Maybe there fine with the young players they got? It's year one of this era, and I love it. Once again, he will me shopping for philbins PLAYERS! So I guess you don't faith in our coach either than? And one more thing, I'm glad I have an owner who's willing to open his pockets!!! And remember what Ross said, the teams number one priority is THE WR Position!! Jeff said the Same thing, everyone knows man, and they same way they tried with Marshall is the same whau they will either sign Jennings or Wallace and it draft one. Make since yet?? See the big picture??? If you add a stud WR, how many more wins is that, I'd say 2, a corner and another safety is another win. I've said before, when smith had that season he did his second year and everyone was gushing all overrrrr him even me, smith is a damn number 2 and in this league you need them. He drafted him and I'm fine with him finding a number one since he found number 2. We all thought Davis would be the alpha one and looked like it but he is sucking for the colts! Credit to him for getting a 2nd for him, because he ain't worth that now. Is it his fault that Davis just started to decline or Marshall wants to have mental problem and bet women?? Is it his faut or is it not??? He did his part right??? But it didn't work, no one could of seen Davis turning into a lazy bum or Marshall having the drops, or FAT TUNA yes, tuna drafted long and passé on Matty, because of his out of date let's build threw the trenches, and draft a qb in the second!! Make since right. I just wish people would actually think about it first before they want to kill the man. Once again I wanna ask you guys how many all pros can you count right now this season on this team. F the media crap, us as knowledgable fans. How many is one this team right now, that has Jeff's name on it??

Back
Top Bottom