Should It Have Been Tremaine Edmunds And Dallas Goedert? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should It Have Been Tremaine Edmunds And Dallas Goedert?

JahnDho

Active Roster
Reaction score
With Miami’s 1st and 2nd picks they could have drafted Edmunds and Goedert. Were they correct in taking Fitzpatrick and Gessicki?

We can come back to this mid and late season, but I’m curious what others think and how it goes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy they have Fitzpatrick and Gessicki; they can be a great players for a long time. It will be a worthy argument going forward. However, I felt Miami needed LB more and the secondary would be great regardless. They certainly can be the best with Fitz; which is a beautiful thing, but great is good enough when there are glaring holes and weak spots elsewhere.

But Edmunds at LB makes their LB group great too and makes them a top 8 defense. Adding Fitz still leaves me in doubt about their overall D. Certainly better at LB than last year with McMillan back; just not as good if it were Edmunds, McMillan, and Alonso. The secondary without Fitz is still a top 8 secondary. But the way it sits now, by combining a below avg DL, this D will be just barely above avg; like 13-15th best.

At TE, Gessicki will have his growing pains. Again, a great TE to have, they filled a hole and I’m happy they grabbed one of the top TEs. However, Goedert brings similar receiving upside while also the better blocker and more NFL ready. I think goedert has a better career.

Again, we’ll see what happens. Overall, Fitz and Gessicki will help this team. So don’t go off the deep end and call me dumb for not liking those two. I do, but my gut tells me Edmunds and Goedert were the better choices.

Last edited:
Just Curious....how is Geodart more "NFL ready"? Yes, he looked great in college, but none of the guys he was working against will ever play in the NFL. He made plays against future high school coaches, accountants, and salesmen.

Can we let these players play even one preseason game before we start comparing them? At this point we have no way of knowing how any of this plays out. You could have made the same thread the day after the draft, and we wouldn't have any more perspective now than we did then.

This will be debated numerous times over each players career up until they retire and **** prolly long after that too. It's an interesting question OP and I have to say I am happy we got Fitz but I really did think we were going to take goedart with our second round pick. Time will tell, I under estimated how athletic gesicki really is

Here we go again.....should we have drafted Rodgers instead of Ronnie Brown?

Fitzpatrick will be an all pro FS soon.

Gesicki is the better receiver than Goebert. Gesicki has shown flashes of top TE in training camp. Let’s let it play out.

Goebert jumped off the screen more, but not by much and it was against much inferior competition.

Also OP a top FS makes more of a difference than an off the ball LB.

I’ve said this since the draft process started. Out of all the top defensive prospects they I’ve seen play Clemson’s offense Edmunds was the least productive. He never did anything in game that made him mermorable, ever. Fitz did, Ramsey did, most of the entire Alabama defense for 3 years did. VT? No. Edmunds never made impact plays against them and it stook out for me when he was in our view.

Should we have drafted Drew Brees at #26 instead of Jamar Fletcher? Or maybe traded our 2nd (Chris Chambers) and 3rd rounders (Travis Minor) to move up to get him?

Brees instead of Fletcher, Chambers and Minor?

Only time will tell I guess

Just Curious....how is Geodart more "NFL ready"? Yes, he looked great in college, but none of the guys he was working against will ever play in the NFL. He made plays against future high school coaches, accountants, and salesmen.

Goedert is running with the 1st team in their 12 personnel and the ability to block gets you on the field sooner. By NFL ready, I’m refering to more playing time sooner than later.

Can we let these players play even one preseason game before we start comparing them? At this point we have no way of knowing how any of this plays out. You could have made the same thread the day after the draft, and we wouldn't have any more perspective now than we did then.

Use foresight my friend

OP wants to come back to this discussion mid season, I suppose to see which tandem would've helped the dolphins more this season.

The dolphins aren't a contender this year IMO, so I prefer the longer term solutions. Goederrt is considered more NFL ready, but Gesicki appears to have an obscene ceiling(again thinking long term). And while Edmunds fills a hole this year, I think most agree that Fitzpatrick is a better overall prospect, having consistently gone tot 5 in tons of mocks.

I'm critical of the dolphins, but not here. Love the picks

This will be debated numerous times over each players career up until they retire and **** prolly long after that too. It's an interesting question OP and I have to say I am happy we got Fitz but I really did think we were going to take goedart with our second round pick. Time will tell, I under estimated how athletic gesicki really is

Totally agree; should be debated for a long time. Gessicki was an off the charts SPARQ guy. Although it doesn’t always translate to NFL productivity.

Back
Top Bottom