Should we fix the offense first? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we fix the offense first?

I'm just wondering with the cash and draft assets that we currently have if we should target the offense first. First, I'm of the opinion that no matter what Rosen does we still take a QB at #1. Once we have Tua, who seems to be our pick, we need to add o-line and offensive weapons. I think we have enough in the bank to either fix the offense or fix the defense. We, of course, will do both at the same time but I'm not sure that's the way to go. If we just go offense in FA and the draft we can build something really special that's hard to stop. We load up on o-line, RB and receiver.

The reason I started thinking this way is because we have nothing on offense as far as keepers, not anybody. Maybe a couple of o-line guys like Deiter and Davis, maybe Wilson if he gets back to health. With our cash and picks we can replicate what the Cowboys have on offense which is reminding me of the great Cowboy teams of the past. Aikman, Smith and Michael Irvin are now Zak Prescott, Ezekial and Amari Cooper and the o-line is a throw back to the physical mauling lines of the 1991 team. I'd love to build an offense that has a great RB, instead of scatback types, I 'd draft a downhill bruiser who can get you 3,4 yards at least on first down. Before RB, I'd hope to land Jeudy so that Tua can can have instant comfortability with a receiver he knows well. Then build a tough, mean, mauling and athletic o-line that send a couple of players to the Pro Bowl. It won't go down this way but it's fun to speculate what we could build if we went all in on offense.

The O will be easier to fix. I tink the D has shown improvement and I'll wait til end of season to finger positions (except CB). The O, with a handful of exceptions, appears to be almost any position. Yeah, fix the OL first. More needs and improvements should show better bang for the buck

draft Tua and a bunch of mean sons a bitches. Sit Tua for a year while the new line gels, let Rosen sink or swim. Trade Rosen the next year and start Tua.

Yes, Miami should spend all its premium resources on Offense in 2020 - only making exceptions for defenders who are too good to pass up.

Who would you put on that list as too good to pass up?

I’m afraid miami may overdraft o line this coming draft due to supply and demand.

Me I think based on what I see in the draft value wise I want a qb, a offensive tackle (preferably right tackle assuming left handed qb add), and a wr with our top 3 picks.

But I might go a de after qb if the right guy was there. Be hard to pass up young with that frame and those tools. Despite the questions about flatten to the qb and inconsistent hand use. And I think he’d fit the scheme like a glove. That frame is ideal. I wouldn’t call it safe though.

It's not an easy question, because when we get our new young QB in 2020 (Tua? Herbert? Fromm?) we'll need to surround him with an OL that can provide better protection, and ideally we want a young WR or two to grow up with him. We can get a veteran RB who can pass protect and lean on the running game as our young QB learns the ropes, but that OL needs to be there. If we stick with Rosen, I'm sure he'd like an improved line too!

But, this defense is extremely complex, which is what makes it so versatile. And, it requires players who can learn this high-intellect system and who also have the physical ability to play multiple roles within the system, so we'll need to get lots of new defenders and give them time to learn this complicated system.

Fortunately, we have about two drafts worth of draft picks in 2020 alone, and IMHO, we have enough to significantly build the rebuild on both sides of the ball. On Offense, we have Deiter at LG, who is a keeper, and maybe Kilgore at C who can last another couple of years if needed, and we've invested in Jesse Davis, but there's clearly 2 OL spots that need to be filled. Assuming we draft 2 OL, that's a good start. We'll also draft 1 QB and at least 1 WR, so that's 4 draft picks on offense that are absolute musts. On Defense we need at least 1 pass rushing DE, 1 starting boundary CB, 1 FS/SS/Nickel, and 1 LB who can stop the run and rush the passer (Van Ginkel will be given a shot too). That's 4 more, for a total of 8 new starters at a minimum. Considering we could also add 1 or 2 FA's, that's all very doable. Realistically, we're probably looking at 3 OL (2+1), 1 QB, 2 WR (1+1), 2 DE (1+1), 1 LB, and 3 DB (2+1) for a total of 12 new starters that will come from draft picks, trades and FA's. That's a lot of starters to find, so IMHO, we can't do it all in 1 offseason. But, we can probably do 8 and really improve this team.

I find it hard to believe they’d draft a young QB and then decide the rest is okay. They’re likely going to build as much as possible on the offensive side first.

The FA class next year is on the weak side with most of the players being past their prime or injury prone. The elite players will most likely be franchise tagged. If they aren’t they will draw interest from pretty much every team, so it’s hard to see anyone choosing Miami unless we insanely overpay them.

Given the MO of our front office I’m not sure we take Tua if we have the #1 pick and another team offers a King’s ransom. Have you watched Alabama play this year? Tua’s stats are grossly padded with all the free win, scrub teams they play. He’s throwing TDs to guys who are wide open all game. I’ve personally never been sold that he is a guaranteed prospect. He isn’t a guy who has ever had to carry a terrible team on his back and lets face it, next year he would be forced to do exactly that if we draft him.

What do you suggest he do? Should he tell Saban he's not taking another snap until there's some real competition on the field? Should he demand Saban convert defensive lineman into WR's so as to make it more challenging? Most 5 star recruits don't carry terrible teams because most 5 star recruits go to 5 star programs where they play with other 5 star recruits. The one's that do go to lower tier programs in weak conferenced like the MAC than get questioned on the quality of the opponents the faced. Our QB has no help and that makes it hard to evaluate and this QB has too much help and that makes it hard to evaluate.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Last edited:
I’m also dumping Albert Wilson dumping jakeem grant and replacing with a draft pick.

Kilgore is 30th ranked pivot according to pff. It’s not gospel by any means but I’m sure they are somewhere in the ball park with his play. Jag.

Replace. But I’m not burning a top 25 pick on it. Not unless I’m getting a higher level athlete that validates it.

We need to get at least two starting O-line guys in free agency. It has to happen. I'd also look for a safety and a WR in free agency depending on who's there.

If we get the top pick and draft Tua then I'd love another O-line guy plus a WR with our other two 1st round picks. Like J OFF said, unless a defense guy is there that we can't pass on.

In the 2nd round I'd look at RB and then we can go mostly defense from there. DE,Corner plus safety.

Why is the narrative that picking a QB #1 overall automatically equates to not be able to build the O-line? One less pick isn’t going to prevent that from being non-achievable. I can’t believe people are saying skip on a 1st round QB to build the O-line first. We did that in 2008 and 10 years later literally no O-lineman Miami drafted between 2008-2018 is still with the the team.

The question should be: “why not both”? Draft a QB with pick 1 then finish (not build) your line in the draft. The building part of the line should be addressed in FA prior to the draft.

I would trade the first pick for a kings ransom or take Chase Young. Take a QB in the top 5 is a big risk that rarely pans out. Football is still a game that is won in the trenches.
We should only draft one in the 6th round so we can emulate what the Patriots did and get that success.

Yessss

Back
Top Bottom