Should we take the the same approach as the Chiefs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we take the the same approach as the Chiefs

Bumpkin

Active Roster
Reaction score
With betting now being allowed in the nfl it has made me realize how important it is to understand the nfl referee tendencies. Each referee crew does the same job but they are all slightly different with their tendencies. Some teams like the Chiefs tend to use this to their advantage. For instance the referee crew for the afc championship has a tendency to call more personnel fouls and more fouls on the home team. The Chiefs understood this and messed with the ravens the whole game and even before the game. They understood if things where a judgement call it would play in their favor.

Mahomes knows which refs to complain to to get those close calls when he is being tackled. The KC wide receivers/ defenders will complain to the side judges about being physical pushing and pulling in certain games.

This approach helps you game plan to know what to expect and what will be allowed. If you know a ref crew will allow you to be physical for 7 yards and not just 2 your safety can be more aggressive. Miami should be using what they know about the ref crew’s tendencies in their game plan. The ref crews are announced early so game planning with them in mind would help

I do think Tua and MM need to be more vocal asking for calls.

However, the statistical analysis of the crew’s tendencies is incomplete IMO. It needs to slice by which home fields they have that tendency.

For instance, if they have a disproportionate number of games at Baltimore because of travel - maybe the tendency is actually that Baltimore is a little dirty?

I didn’t see one 15 yard penalty against the Ravens that I wouldn’t have called yesterday. I thought the last one was an obvious cheap shot while trying to only get an offsides call to reset the downs.

It's obviously smart to not only know the refs tendencies, but to build a rapport with them as well. Also, I don't know what McD's threshold is for penalties in practice. Going back to the great one, Don Shula, his teams were consistently the least penalized in the league. I think they may have had a streak of almost 10 years in a row or something like that where they led the league in the least amount of penalties. But the point is that Shula would not tolerate penalties in practice. They ran the plays over and over until they were perfect in execution. Somehow, I doubt McD is doing that...

Baltimore did themselves no favors. Blatant personal fouls on Mahomes and Taunting calls. They were not disciplined and they are not Champions. Champions are about winning not showboating.
I did not know this about Tyreek but after reading some KC forums he was known for dropping passes in big games. KC was not paying him that kind of money for it being about him. After this season and his constant antics I have soured on him, We need to not consider running the offense through Tyreek. We need to be like KC if we can trade him or get him to restructure so we can get an Oline then that is as close to the Chiefs as I would be in favor of. Time to move on from Tyreek as KC did.

With betting now being allowed in the nfl it has made me realize how important it is to understand the nfl referee tendencies. Each referee crew does the same job but they are all slightly different with their tendencies. Some teams like the Chiefs tend to use this to their advantage. For instance the referee crew for the afc championship has a tendency to call more personnel fouls and more fouls on the home team. The Chiefs understood this and messed with the ravens the whole game and even before the game. They understood if things where a judgement call it would play in their favor.

Mahomes knows which refs to complain to to get those close calls when he is being tackled. The KC wide receivers/ defenders will complain to the side judges about being physical pushing and pulling in certain games.

This approach helps you game plan to know what to expect and what will be allowed. If you know a ref crew will allow you to be physical for 7 yards and not just 2 your safety can be more aggressive. Miami should be using what they know about the ref crew’s tendencies in their game plan. The ref crews are announced early so game planning with them in mind would help
Lol Baltimores penalties were called because they did stupid stuff and they should've been called. Just what in the crap are you talking about?

It can't be a coincidence that the last 4 teams also appeared to be the most healthy relatively.

Not making excuses here but if you took our big injuries (edge x2, mlb, cb, safety, oline,) and blessed say the 49rs with such luck, I wonder if they even make it past round one.

Some is luck but also some has to be conditioning/player selection via draft and free agency.

It's an interesting point. Obviously, you want to get every advantage you can and prepare for everything. If that now includes the officials, then knowing tendencies could help.

It was obvious to me in the Kansas City versus Baltimore game, that the Ravens wanted to be physical with Mahomes. I thought they went too far on a few plays and flags flew, but the Kelce play does fit your narrative.

As an aside, I thought officials allowed teams to be physical with Hill and Waddle beyond the allowed five yards. That was also the case last year, at least in my opinion. I don't know how a coaching staff adjusts there, other than having other options in the passing game.

It can't be a coincidence that the last 4 teams also appeared to be the most healthy relatively.

Not making excuses here but if you took our big injuries (edge x2, mlb, cb, safety, oline,) and blessed say the 49rs with such luck, I wonder if they even make it past round one.

Some is luck but also some has to be conditioning/player selection via draft and free agency.
I think injuries were the primary reason that Miami struggled against the better teams and didn't advance further. I think it's clear that's not the only reason, but look at the offensive line. The Dolphins played the majority of the season with at least 40 percent of the starters out with injuries. In a couple of games, Miami had four starting offensive linemen out. Then, in the playoffs, seven starters on defense couldn't play.

During the 49ers three-game losing streak earlier in the season, Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel missed time. So, saying it isn't a factor just doesn't make sense to me. The Dolphins were hit hard, and mostly during the second half of the season. The timing wasn't good either.

Now, it's a bottom line business so you try to figure out how to fix it. I'd say start with drafting players without an injury history, knowing that a lot of injuries are random.

The Ravens are used to being the bullies but when they were met with resistance they got frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom