Should we take the the same approach as the Chiefs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we take the the same approach as the Chiefs

With betting now being allowed in the nfl it has made me realize how important it is to understand the nfl referee tendencies. Each referee crew does the same job but they are all slightly different with their tendencies. Some teams like the Chiefs tend to use this to their advantage. For instance the referee crew for the afc championship has a tendency to call more personnel fouls and more fouls on the home team. The Chiefs understood this and messed with the ravens the whole game and even before the game. They understood if things where a judgement call it would play in their favor.

Mahomes knows which refs to complain to to get those close calls when he is being tackled. The KC wide receivers/ defenders will complain to the side judges about being physical pushing and pulling in certain games.

This approach helps you game plan to know what to expect and what will be allowed. If you know a ref crew will allow you to be physical for 7 yards and not just 2 your safety can be more aggressive. Miami should be using what they know about the ref crew’s tendencies in their game plan. The ref crews are announced early so game planning with them in mind would help
Plan for the refs! No, there are plenty of better uses of time.

The referees had nothing to do with Zay Flowers taunting a player by spinning the ball on him.

The referees had nothing to do with the awesome fumble strip at the goal line.

Or Lamar Jackson’s INT into triple coverage in the end zone.

The Ravens lost because of self inflicted wounds and the more disciplined team one.

/thread

But the refs did allow the chiefs defenders to hold the Raven receivers without a call all game. That affects the game and helps KC hold them to 10 points.
It frustrates the Raven offense leading to 2nd half mistakes you mentioned. They did the same thing to us in the playoff game.

We need to get a beast TE. All the SuperBowl teams got great ones.

You can only take the same approach to the refs as the Chiefs do when you have 2 All Time greats at HC and QB. Reid and Mahomes ARE the NFL, so obviously the refs treat them more favorably. You see it in every sport with every star player and marquee team. Would I like to take the Chiefs approach? Absolutely, but we don't have Patrick Mahomes...

I have no problem taking any possible advantage as long as it doesn't take away from that week's game planning. Under Shula, the Dolphins always wore white at home for games played in the afternoon instead of the traditional team colors because white reflects the sun while other colors, especially black, hold in the heat. A minor advantage, but a 2 second decision to make each week. He always had the Dolphins wear aqua for night home games.

If you have each ref crew scouted, add a couple extra deep pass plays for those crews that are more likely to call defensive PI. Maybe rely more on the run if they call holds on pass blocking more than average. Don't let it majorly alter the game plan, but why not take it into account a bit?

The Chiefs have a defense that flys to the ball and makes the aggressive open field tackle. If that's what it means to take the same approach as the Chiefs, I'm all for it. The Dolphins defense against the Ravens was wide open spaces. The Chiefs allowed little space and instantly closed down what little space there was. The Ravens were so flustered they resorted to sideline lobs, which are among the worst plays in football.

Superior scouting and fundamental knowledge that an inside terror like Chris Jones is worth more than these edge clowns.

The Chiefs have a defense that flys to the ball and makes the aggressive open field tackle. If that's what it means to take the same approach as the Chiefs, I'm all for it. The Dolphins defense against the Ravens was wide open spaces. The Chiefs allowed little space and instantly closed down what little space there was. The Ravens were so flustered they resorted to sideline lobs, which are among the worst plays in football.

Superior scouting and fundamental knowledge that an inside terror like Chris Jones is worth more than these edge clowns.
I really like what the Chiefs did.

Played a lot of man coverage and challenged the Ravens receivers at the LOS. They also didn't have the pass rush push up field past the QB on key passing downs to keep the defensive integrity of the pocket to not allow Jackson to run. When they did let the pass rush loose, they kept a spy or sometimes two on Jackson. I thought it was a very effective game plan.

Making Jackson beat you throwing the ball worked very well for them

No, you absolutely need to look to the teams who are winning with consistency to see what is feeding their success. You don't look too long at Patrick Mahomes because there's only one of him, but there is a lot to learn from how they manage their roster. It's the same with teams like the Ravens and the Packers and the 49ers and so on. If you can't look to those who are succeeding and learn anything from them, then that's on you. The same goes for teams who are mired in failure. A wise man learns much from watching fools.

It just so happens that both of those teams have/had the best managed rosters in the NFL, and there is a lot to glean from how the QBs for those teams also manage those around them. You can't have Brady or Mahomes, but you can seek some of those more important qualities in your next QB. I would encourage that strongly, and the reason why is because it is obviously working for the Packers and 49ers who never seem to be without a QB and always seem to have their next franchise QB on the roster even when they are bridging gaps with other QBs.

There's an edge to be had in this league with how the roster is managed. We're just not taking advantage of it yet.
I dont think you read through the conversation. In reference to Hill someone basically said to look at the Chiefs who did not miss a beat without Hill. If you think we would not miss a beat without him in Miami then I dont know what to tell you.

I dont think you read through the conversation. In reference to Hill someone basically said to look at the Chiefs who did not miss a beat without Hill. If you think we would not miss a beat without him in Miami then I dont know what to tell you.
Sure, if you simply subtract Hill without any other additions to the roster, then we would lose the productivity. The ideal solution would be the one where we add another above average wide receiver to compliment Waddle and also upgrade at TE or in the slot. Whatever you do in the wake of losing Hill has to take into consideration what you add in response to his departure. There are scenarios where the offense doesn't really miss a beat, and that's what the Chiefs have done. Where I think teams get into trouble is with like what Miami is presently doing where over half of the passing production is run through Hill. When Hill is covered, we lose rhythm and things don't run so smoothly.

Sure, if you simply subtract Hill without any other additions to the roster, then we would lose the productivity. The ideal solution would be the one where we add another above average wide receiver to compliment Waddle and also upgrade at TE or in the slot. Whatever you do in the wake of losing Hill has to take into consideration what you add in response to his departure. There are scenarios where the offense doesn't really miss a beat, and that's what the Chiefs have done. Where I think teams get into trouble is with like what Miami is presently doing where over half of the passing production is run through Hill. When Hill is covered, we lose rhythm and things don't run so smoothly.
Im not sure that is a system issue but in an effort not to the "half full" crowd off their rocker I will leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom