Shout Out To Tannehill's Toughness | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shout Out To Tannehill's Toughness

He has been tough his entire career, playing behind historically bad O-Lines....especially after injuries to key players on the OL that have HAPPENED EVERY YEAR he has been here. Those who lack football IQ (a lot of them on here) say this is an excuse and it cracks me up. Stick to Madden rookie mode man! He is not an all pro but is a very good QB who wins the VAST MAJORITY of his games when his OL plays above pathetic!
Lol. You are incredible man. Keep up those talking points though.

Seriously... how can you not route for this guy? He takes """" season/career long and some how keeps on being resilient all season long and gets rewarded by an unexpected win against the Pats
there are some on this board who have seething hatred for the guy...i dont get it. He didnt ask to be drafted here by this crap organization, he has been dealt crap from day 1 and has always given his all regardless of the repeated beatings sunday after sunday.

Am I reading this wrong? You’re putting Fiedler over Tannehill? Too happy to pick a fight about it. Maybe we revisit it after a loss. (Which wont be until next year)

Lol... I'm not ****ing on Thill's career but actually giving Fiedler props but think Ryan is better but it's been a long time since we've had a decent starting qb!

RT has always been tough. It was great to see him get the win after yet another gritty performance. Sadly, it also shows how poor the OL has been over the length of his career. The line was nearly average today, and you could clearly see what RT is capable of with a little time. If he had the kind of time Brady has to throw, his career would have been vastly different here. What could have been....

i blame joe philbin more than anyone for the trajectory of Tannehills career.

i think it was his rookie season, the original offensive guru, Joe "whered i put my magic potion" Philbin and his buddy Sherman had Tannehill with a clock in his head to get rid of the ball while staying in the pocket to force him into a "pocket" passer...i put pocket in quotes cuz Philbin, hand picked a bunch of pansy ass soft zone blocking lineman incapable of creating a pocket...theres even articles from halfway through tannehills second season questioning why they dont get Tannehill outside the pocket more, since his qbr would actually go up when outside the pocket. I prefer him being a pocket passer but at what cost? Tannehill wasnt gonna scramble like rg3 or wilson anyway. You take away his athletic ability and any kind of instincts to break the pocket when you sense pressure. This would then cause tannehill to bea sitting duck for hits because he was being coached to stay in the pocket at all costs. Therefore he got hurt in the pocket andhis athletic ability is now in question.

i could be remembering this wrong but i feel like this was how Philbin coached Tannehill from the beginning. It would be fine if you have all day to throw like Brady usually does...

Tannehill once again showed his toughness. He hung in there and made some good throws on an injured ankle.

Tannehill will never know the experience of picking up his grandchild because these porous offensive lines.

i blame joe philbin more than anyone for the trajectory of Tannehills career.

i think it was his rookie season, the original offensive guru, Joe "whered i put my magic potion" Philbin and his buddy Sherman had Tannehill with a clock in his head to get rid of the ball while staying in the pocket to force him into a "pocket" passer...i put pocket in quotes cuz Philbin, hand picked a bunch of pansy *** soft zone blocking lineman incapable of creating a pocket...theres even articles from halfway through tannehills second season questioning why they dont get Tannehill outside the pocket more, since his qbr would actually go up when outside the pocket. I prefer him being a pocket passer but at what cost? Tannehill wasnt gonna scramble like rg3 or wilson anyway. You take away his athletic ability and any kind of instincts to break the pocket when you sense pressure. This would then cause tannehill to bea sitting duck for hits because he was being coached to stay in the pocket at all costs. Therefore he got hurt in the pocket andhis athletic ability is now in question.

i could be remembering this wrong but i feel like this was how Philbin coached Tannehill from the beginning. It would be fine if you have all day to throw like Brady usually does...

Tannehill was absolutely coached to be in the pocket by Sherman and Philbin. However, I don't think that was necessarily bad coaching. With a young quarterback who is athletic and throws well on the run, you want to get him thinking to hang in the pocket, get his footwork down, and throw the ball first. That's how you develop a young, raw player into a real quarterback.

What was bad coaching was when Ryan Tannehill piped up in the offensive meeting room to ask for more moving pockets, chip blocks, and backs held in to protect, and simply being told to shut his pie hole.

Ultimately, I do agree that the biggest failure of the Dolphins organization to help Ryan Tannehill be successful (and he needs help, he's not Rodgers) is to assemble a competent pass blocking line in front of him. It has consistently been lousy, and at times actually worse than lousy.

I firmly believe had he not been drafted by this loser franchise, and was able to sit and learn for a few years, he’d be a very good QB. If anyone questions his nuts they’re just blind. Dude gets his ass kicked and just rolls with it. I think Miami needs to go in a different direction at QB but I’ll never root against him.

I've been one of his loudest critics but today the guy was excellent. That kind of injury knocks most people of a a game, it's a great compliment to him that down the stretch there it hardly seemed a factor. We don't win that game without him today, I don't often say that, but it's absolutely true today. Probably kept his job for next season today. Game ball and more to the guy. Hopefully the ankle injury doesn't keep him out of the next game, because suddenly he is key, we've got to win all three and the Bills and Jags games should be pretty simple, the Vikings game is absolutely huge.

Last edited:
Aaron Rodgers can't win games by himself, but he's still stupidly good even when he's losing. Same with Drew Brees, a guy that I think honestly belongs in the discussion for greatest quarterback of all time. Even when the Saints have had terrible defenses and no running game, he's been able to produce and keep that team competitive all by his lonesome.

Ryan Tannehill's certainly not on the same level as those two guys.

He is tough and always has been.

He is efficient and alway has been.

He is getting better w time / game is slowing down for him. His deep ball was once a weakness is now very good (last few years).

He is one of the best human beings you will ever meet. I got 40 minutes 1:1 time w him at that private corporate event thing where we watched the Seattle Denver SB and talked football and Hardknocks. He was so gracious w his time and down to earth and genuinely enjoyed talking w people. The other celeb there was Tony Gonzalez who could give a rats ass about anyone and didn’t work the crowd / collected his check. Ryan is absolutely the kind of kid you want - the NFL wants - being the face of a team as he is accretive to the brand.

Here’s the rub: I don’t think he’s good enough to carry a team on his back week in week out. However, that formula rarely works (ask Marino or even Peyton almost went without a ring save for a horrid Bears team somehow getting to the SB). If we can give him a pocket he can win a lot of games. Just don’t expect him to be “the reason” you win the game week in and week out. Can you win a SB w him? You can. Can you go 8-8 every year w him? You can. Can you do a lot worse than him? You can. Can you EASILY upgrade from him? No, you cannot.

As for today, he absolutely balled. He got hit on every dropback and didn’t turn it over. The like two plays he had time he dropped a dime deep to Stills and a strike for 6 to Butler. Great game and I’m happy him because he is a class human being.

Aaron Rodgers can't win games by himself, but he's still stupidly good even when he's losing. Same with Drew Brees, a guy that I think honestly belongs in the discussion for greatest quarterback of all time. Even when the Saints have had terrible defenses and no running game, he's been able to produce and keep that team competitive all by his lonesome.

Ryan Tannehill's certainly not on the same level as those two guys.

that whole drew brees debacle really stings...

but the chances are brees wouldve come to miami and sucked and culpepper wouldve gone to the saints and tore it up. Cuz thats just how it goes..

Back
Top Bottom