Shula Criticizes Johnson | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shula Criticizes Johnson

jlfin said:
Winningest coach in NFL history. Coached in 4 SB's (one with the Colts). Undying loyalty to the Dolphins. He was not a mercenary coach, like JJ.
Name one other coach that could have handled the pressure of coaching for that period of time. Parcells has mentioned it as well, that Shula was one of a kind. Those of us old enough to remember his ENTIRE career, are forever grateful for the wonderful memories and the pride in being a Dolphin fan.

I also remember his entire career. That's why I brought up the observation that the last 20 years of his career were not anywhere near the standard he'd set earlier in his career. When I hear him making comments like that, it sounds like an old man who can't get over the anger of being replaced, and it certainly isn't classy.

wazzy said:
I think JJ was an a$$ but I still think he was a good coach a good talent evaluator which led him to draft well and I think if he stayed long term he could of brought us to a SB. the key word in my last sentence is "could"

That's the whole point; and it illustrates the difference between JJ and Shula. JJ was a quitter. He ran with his tail between his legs after Denver spanked his butt in the playoffs. It took Marino and some other veterans to talk him into staying for one more season. I lost a lot of respect that day for JJ.
Shula was one of the games' greats (along with Lombardi and Landry).
I can't believe anyone is even trying to make a comparison.

EightyTwenty said:
I also remember his entire career. That's why I brought up the observation that the last 20 years of his career were not anywhere near the standard he'd set earlier in his career. When I hear him making comments like that, it sounds like an old man who can't get over the anger of being replaced, and it certainly isn't classy.

What isn't classy is dismissing the proud history of the franchise (and indirectly taking a swipe at the guy you replaced).
JJ's comments that day were insulting and unneccessary. He could have simply used the opportunity at the podium to fire up the faithful and expand on his plans for the future of the team.
I don't think Shula was mad at being replaced ( I think he knew it was time to retire). I think what irked him was JJ basically discounting his entire career with the Dolphins.
BTW he did take 2 teams to the SB in the 80's. Including one with David Woodley and one of the least talented offenses in the history of the SB.(That, in and of itself was a great coaching job). In 1985 he took the team to the AFC championship game, and again in 1992. JJ never got close with the Dolphins.

I Agree Our Defense Would Still Be Terrible If We Didn't Have Jj. But I Didn't Like Jj. Don Shula Is A Class Guy. I Would Love To Still See Him On The Sidelines As An Assistant Coach.

To Johnsons defense (a little) is the fact that he had to replace two legends back to back.

brparkway said:
And since 1992 GB has won more divisions, played and won more playoff games & Super Bowls. You can pick & choose, but history is history. If the Phins had been around as long as the Packers, I guarantee they would have had more bad coaches & more bad teams. And unfortunately will again in the future. :cry:

Between 1968 and 1991 they had like 3 winning seasons. They made a good run with Farve and Holmgren but between Holmgren and Lombardi they were the worst franchise in football, maybe 2nd worst to the Cardinals. They have a good history with some good runs here and there but our team is much more consistant. We havent had very many losing seasons and in the Supebowl era we've been just as successful. I dont know why Im arguing about this with someone on the Phins website. Shula is proud of our history, so should phin fans. Ours does stackup with any in the NFL, its just a fact.

jlfin said:
Winningest coach in NFL history. Coached in 4 SB's (one with the Colts). Undying loyalty to the Dolphins. He was not a mercenary coach, like JJ.
Name one other coach that could have handled the pressure of coaching for that period of time. Parcells has mentioned it as well, that Shula was one of a kind. Those of us old enough to remember his ENTIRE career, are forever grateful for the wonderful memories and the pride in being a Dolphin fan.

He actually coached 6 times in Super Bowls.

Calgaryfin said:
1972 Dolphins is all you need to say. Nice to hear from Coach Shula again!

Go FIns!

depends on how you look at it. do you say " the only perfect season has lasted for 33 years." or do you look at it as "it's been 33 years since we had a truly great team, alot of good teams but not great."

#84Fan4Life said:
Thats very interesting. I really hated JJ as the coach of the Cowboys because he was a ****y a-hole and he ended up bringing his attitude to Miami as well. The only problem was that the attitude was there but the Super Bowls were not. Why is Shula talking about this 5+ years later though?:confused:

It could be because the last Johnson's puppet (Wanny) is finally gone. I don't blame Coach Shula for sticking it to helmet hair. I just wish that Landry had done the same. I still think it's pathetic how two coaching legends got the shaft for that egomaniac. Hell, at least Dallas got some Lombardi trophies for their troubles.

poppy said:
He actually coached 6 times in Super Bowls.

You are correct. I was thinking about the years prior to the 1980's. I mentioned those last 2 SB's on a later response.

Don Shula was a real part of our franchise and is loved by many dolfans around the world. I give JJ credit because he drafted real well but never stayed the duration and him and wanny rushed marino into an early retirement. Overall i like the comments. You can tell they are heartfelt

Lungoystr said:
It could be because the last Johnson's puppet (Wanny) is finally gone. I don't blame Coach Shula for sticking it to helmet hair. I just wish that Landry had done the same. I still think it's pathetic how two coaching legends got the shaft for that egomaniac. Hell, at least Dallas got some Lombardi trophies for their troubles.

If Jimmy had won even one Super Bowl with the Dolphins, this would not even be discussed. I still say that Jimmy was put in a no win situation when it was made clear that he couldnt trade or release Marino. When he first took over as coach Marino still had a high trade value. By 1997-98, that trade value had severly diminished. So as seriously as I can say this with a straight face, he was "stuck" with a legend. Poor guy.
Also what I think killed Jimmy in Miami was the very real fact that after 1997, he was burnt out. He didnt have the drive it takes to be a NFL coach. Once the drive was gone, he brought in Dave and we all know what happened.

I believe that the majority of Dolphins fans believe that Shula should never have been forced out.

jaketaylor said:
If Jimmy had won even one Super Bowl with the Dolphins, this would not even be discussed. I still say that Jimmy was put in a no win situation when it was made clear that he couldnt trade or release Marino. When he first took over as coach Marino still had a high trade value. By 1997-98, that trade value had severly diminished. So as seriously as I can say this with a straight face, he was "stuck" with a legend. Poor guy.
Also what I think killed Jimmy in Miami was the very real fact that after 1997, he was burnt out. He didnt have the drive it takes to be a NFL coach. Once the drive was gone, he brought in Dave and we all know what happened.

he lost it when he thought it was possible to build an offense around KAJ

Back
Top Bottom